Feeding Giant Breed's

Oscar (AmBull)

So my question is to all those people who own ‘giant breeds’ how much does it actually cost you to feed such a dog per week?

I have always been a huge fan of giant breeds (growing up with a bullmastiff) and hope to one day own a Dogue to Bordeaux. I am also in love with the Newfoundland and Harlequin Danes.

I have been told that they cost around $100 a week to feed, is this correct? And that this expense doesn’t level out until around 3 years? Also is there a difference between males and females?

Just wondering if this estimate is accurate? And if so what is it that you feed exactly?

Any info much appreciated.

Ok so mines a giant breed but not as giant as some. He will be about 45kg when fully grown. He is eating about $4 worth of food per day which is on Artemis large breed puppy. It was about the same when he was on Eaglepack large breed puppy. I'm now giving him some barf patties occassionally which makes it cheaper. So he's on about $28 per week. This is with him eating more than the recommended quantity.

I have Danes it' costs me around $35 a week for 3 Adults.

The puppy who is 16 weeks eats more then the adults do.

I feed chicken mince + Eukanuba dry food for main meals for the adults

Baby beef mince + Eukanuba dry food for main meals. - feed 3 times a day.

Plus they all get chicken necks/wings/carcasses/lamp flaps etc

That's what I thought, that surely it couldn't be that expensive, $100 per week seemed like a lot. That was told to me by someone that owns Newfoundlannds. I couldn't fathom how breeder's afforded that much per dog per week. :laugh:

Does their intake get less as they get older or does it remain fairly steady. Do they eat everything that is down, like labradors? Just my boy will only eat as much as he wants/needs and is happy to leave the rest for me to dispose of. He is in no way a guts.

Thanks for all the help thus far :laugh:

Does their intake get less as they get older or does it remain fairly steady. Do they eat everything that is down, like labradors?

Puppies eat much more then adults, their food intake slows down around 4-6 months.

I have a adult bitch here who would eat everything and more.

I have a dog that i had to hand feed to get him to eat.

I had a puppy who would eat little, another who eats non stop.

Danes weights range from 45-90kg depends on lines/sex

Each dog will be different.

Antibiotics around around $100 a go :laugh:

I have three large dogs and No way do I spend $100.00 per week on their food. One is a pup newf.

We feed RAW and source our food from a lot of different places, quite cheaply. Our Butcher is a Godsend and he keeps lots of meats, offal and bones for us. For which i pay $5.00/huge box. We grow our own veg or buy cheap in season. I use dried beans, peas,lentils etc which i blend to add. We use rolled oats to add. the Vit C and E, fish oil, glucosamine and seaweed maeal can be expensive. but since the advent of all the discount chemists, I wait for a good deal and buy up.

I also have my dogs in Medibank Private. but not for the little things such as vaccinations. But for the possible big surgery. so far have not used it in the last ten years, but you never know. Accidents do happen and i could not pay out $5,000-$10,000 on the spot. The cover costs $53.00 per month. I find it very important

Pups do eat a lot more in the first year (3x-4x more). My adult newf eats the same as my friends labradors.

However weight is an issue in heart worm prevention, worming tablets and tick/flea prevention. Greater weight=greater amount of $$$$$"s

A $130 bag of Eagle Pack lasts my 18 month old male dane (around 55-60kg) a month.

Add to that all the other things fed - fresh mince, Tuckertime dog roll, carcasses, sardine etc etc and then the supplements like fish oil etc

So reasonable to say about $50 a week?

He will still eat around 8 cups of dry a day and is lean. He probably ate 10 cups a day at eating peak.

Many people also overlook the higher costs of drugs etc - a course of ABs as SwaY said is around $100, things like Revolution/ Sentinel - you need to use 2 tubes at a time so a packet only lasts 1/2 the time.

My 4 Bullmastiffs would cost around $40.00 a week just to feed. Not including heartworm meds or vet bills.

Less if my large breed dry food is on special, then I buy more to stock up.

They get chicken mince and cooked offal as well, sardines, yoghurt.

So around $10.00 per dog per week.

My 7 month old puppy eats more than my 6 year old male.

My two spayed girls are on permanent diets as they only have to see food and they put weight on.

I hope they don't cost that much :rofl:

I'm getting my newfie pup in Aug/Sep!

When I had my lab and medium cross breed, I spent maybe $30-$40 a week.

They won't cost that much...Even using the best food. I bet you are exited about the pup

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Well it would seem that the estimate I was given was completely over the top. I do realise that the vet bills and general maintenace of a giant breed are substantially more (ie worming, fleaing, bedding) but those are costs that we could cope with, but that food bill was definitely a big deterent.

We have pet insurance now for our boy and would not be without it, such a relief to know that if something does go wrong we have that behind us, small price to pay for piece of mind in the long run.

Re the pet insurance what have people found are the best for giant breeds? I know some of the insurance companies exclude giant breeds after a certain age.

And MAD, congratulations on the puppy :laugh:

Thanks so much for all the replies.

Well it would seem that the estimate I was given was completely over the top. I do realise that the vet bills and general maintenace of a giant breed are substantially more (ie worming, fleaing, bedding) but those are costs that we could cope with, but that food bill was definitely a big deterent.

We have pet insurance now for our boy and would not be without it, such a relief to know that if something does go wrong we have that behind us, small price to pay for piece of mind in the long run.

Re the pet insurance what have people found are the best for giant breeds? I know some of the insurance companies exclude giant breeds after a certain age.

And MAD, congratulations on the puppy :laugh:

I have had no issues with Medibank Private....they know the breed of my dogs. they were just not paying for any pre-existing conditions. So they asked for my vet and checked my older dogs medical history, which was a big Zero

"Hi all,

Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean, feeding RAW?

RAW is feeding raw meats, offal, vegetables, fruit, legumes and grains.............not cooked. There are many websites on RAW feeding. Some use additives from different companies or even a whole RAW diet to purchase. We just do our own thing, we have for so long now, that it is just a way of life.

Mine cost around $12-15 week each to feed.Edward eats more than the adults :laugh: I use majority raw(chicken mince,vegies,eggs,fish etc) and coprice working dog for all of them-around 1 medium pal tin per day of dry divided into 2 feeds.

When I talk of RAW, I mean raw meat - no grains here, just raw meat/bones with fruit and vege scraps here and there.

You don't used any grains at all?..........we blend lupins/oats and add them in almost powder form, tblsp or so. Do you add any of the bought additives? We don't.I am just interested in how everyone elso does it

Actually i do add uncooked rolled oats and LSA(linseed,sunflower,almond meal) you can buy it in the healthfood section.Oats are for b vitamins as they are a high source.

I don't use almond meal, but i use lots of other meal. Love oats especially. the dogs showed me they love grain, by the way they steal the horse feed :(