Dogs Allergic To Cats?

I'm going to bring this up with my vet as Bronte's skin has flared again, unfortunately after a really good run, but does anyone know if dogs are often allergic to cats?

There is no consistency to her allergies, she was no better at all on an elimination diet of 12 weeks, but her skin may vast improvements during Jan while off the elim diet. It just kind of got better of its own accord. However now its been declining again since early Feb.

Her skin reactions are always in different places so much so that I describe it as a 'roaming' reaction. The one think I have noticed is that she is generally not itchy off the property and so I'm wondering if my tooty pat (cat) may be the problem. Also, unfortunately I haven't dragged the vaccum out for two weeks - I know I'm a grub, but this means there is more hair around than usual.

I'm actually taking next week off to get my life it order since work took over in Oct, and this week will include springing cleaning the house and getting a few quotes out for new flooring - want to get rid of the carpet in the bedrooms and cover my tiles. Hopefully having different flooring will help with hair pick up in general and her allergies.

But cats? Really? Does anyone have a dog with this problem? Ready to be educated.

I feel for you i have 2 pets with skin problems

It very frustrating isint it

i'm with you i think maybe getting them tested for allergies is the way to go

We feel like bad pet owners when we cant get it right even if its out of our control

I'm thinking about going for a walk down the beach tonight i wonder

wether salt water will releive it?

My Stafford is allergic to horse hair and dander.

He loved picking a soft spot on horse rugs and saddle blankets.

I guess it is possible to be alergic to anything

Which begs the questions - can dogs be allergic to humans? After all we are all mammals.

Which begs the questions - can dogs be allergic to humans? After all we are all mammals.

Interesting! Although i would think we would need to be more hairy to set off a reaction? Not that I know anything :hug:

Interesting! Although i would think we would need to be more hairy to set off a reaction? Not that I know anything :eek:

Did think that although some individuals of the human race can support a vast amount of body hair!

We lose skin flakes or dander, I am guessing as we don't "groom" ourselves that the wouldn't be a chance of being allergic to saliva, but do she body hair. Intersting thought - well to me anyway! :(

Yes they can and, no, we don't need to be more hairy! It is dander that mostly causes allergic response to other animals, which is dried skin particles floating around:

Danders are proteins with multiple antigenic molecules [substance that triggers immune response]. Animals danders often are contaminated with saliva, serum (the liquid part of blood), or urine, any of which can serve as an additional source of allergens. Hairs tend to be too large to be absorbed through the skin and respiratory tract; however, they are often coated with saliva and occasionally with serum or urine, which may flake off from hairs and be absorbed. Many people are allergic to proteins found in the saliva of cats. Also, some dogs are allergic to cats, and vice versa. On average, one person produces 5 grams (about 1 teaspoon) of dander per week. Thus, pets are exposed to large amounts of human dander; in some instances, allergy to the owner's skin may develop.

pp. 78-79 The Pet Lover's Guide to Cat & Dog Skin Diseases

For the OP: as FTPO said, your best bet is to see a dermatologist and have the intradermal testing done to determine what she is reacting to, you can then do things like immunotherapy injections to help desensitise the dog to the allergens. It could well be the extra cat dander around, or it could be dust mite allergies as well, normally dogs with atopy will have a few things they react to, not just one, and that can contribute to different symptoms at different times too.

Edit: to be more precise

Edited by zayda_asher