Surprise Husky Puppy

sallywill

( suggest I repost here )

Hi, It was suggested to me that I join by Ashanali, whom I spoke to last night. She was very helpful, and thought this would also be a great place to start.

Backstory...

We adopted Mollie, a 8 month old Purebred Siberian Husky from a 13y.o girl who was given her as a gift, but after 8 months could no longer keep her due to moving. We were told she had just come off heat, so we wouldn't have to worry about that for a while.. Having had Samoyed' before, we decided to take her on. She is great, aside form the cat chasing, which, yes, we know is a husky trait. It is our intention to have her desexed.

Anyway, 8 weeks ago, we picked her up. Gorgeous! Very playful. great with our boys 12, 11 & 4, gentle and very loving.

Yesterday afternoon, AFTER my 12 year old took her for a walk, about 20 mins later, we hear an odd squeeking noise? Fist thought...she has caught a cat frown.gif ...

After a few mins of searching, here is Mollie, with a tiny newborn PUPPY on her chest!! My first thought was where did she find that, thinking there is no way its hers, but it turns outt hey are only pregnant for 9 weeks, and well, we have had her for 8.

She has put on no weight, not done anything out of character, still going for walks, eating, jumping, playing, chasin cats, all the regular stuff......Eeeek.

She only had one. We had her checked, no more in utero, so it was just one.

She is doing well, as is pup.

My concern is that my 10 month old pup just had a pup! She seems to be doing really well, lookiong after baby well, feeding etc.. But I don't know what to do next.

If anyone could offer any useful advice, It would be much appreciated.

Sally

post-33619-1267223085_thumb.jpg

Edited by sallywill

Oh my god you poor thing!!!! Lucky she only had 1 :D (Ashanali has prob already told you all this but...)

Keep your girl and the baby in a room seperate from other dogs where there are no drafts or cold air to chill the puppy.

Maybe get her ahot water bottle for the baby to snuggle up to when mum is out to the toilet etc (pups cant regulate their own temperatures for 10 or so days)

Your girl will need more food keep condition and make enough milk for the baby but not too much more as 1 baby wont tax her too much.

The puppy will need to be wormed every 2 weeks from 2 weeks of age. Apart from that they are pretty self sufficient. Speak to the vet re when to vaccinate etc.

Keep the baby warm and dry......cant think of anything else poor you and poor baby having a pup at 10 months but i bet she copes just fine.

Surprise!

If she seems to be doing well with the pup and enjoying motherhood, she probably is doing well. A single pup won't be a big strain on her. My girls love being mothers . . . I wouldn't breed them at six months, but they would probably be good mums if I did. I'd say enjoy, and don't feel sorry for her . . . just give her support. You'll find plenty of people to give you answers if you have specific questions about puppy raising. Basically, you shouldn't have a whole lot to do for four or five weeks . . . with only one you can go for late weaning and she will probably do all the cleaning up until the pup goes on solids.

Hey Sally, I'm back from Newcastle now. :mad

I told Sally to join here because I was away over the weekend and couldn't go too in-depth. Thank you Lolapolooza for filling in the gaps. :)

Sally, keep us posted with her progress. It will be interesting to see what your little baby looks like as she grows... and if you have more questions this will be the perfect place to have them answered.

Glad that she was checked and there was only one in there. She's a lucky girl to labour and have a singleton pup without problems! That's great news. :laugh:

Hi,

Thanks for asking. Things are going well. Mollie is doing a fab job of being a mum. Though i was telling Alicia last night I feel so sorry for her when we go past and she gets so excited and wants to play, then realises she can't.

Just want to thank everyone for all their help.

We have a few issues, but I am sticking them in the general forum HERE

Thanks again. And please check in over there if you want to see how they are doing.

Thanks again,

Sally xx