Flea Control - Shootag

http://www.shootag.com.au/

This is supposed to work for 4 months creating an electromagnetic field around the dog and preventing fleas and tics. Is this a case of "If it sounds to good to be true - then it isn't true?.

I hate putting chemicals on my dog and my Mothers poodle has been burned by Advantage and Advocate.

I'm wondering the same thing. I've been giving my do Sentinal for the last 3 mths & she has more fleas now than ever.

Sentinel is only good when you have fleas under control as it doesn't kill them, it only renders them sterile. However, if your dog is going into flea infested areas regularly, or you have lots of fleas in the environment, it isn't any good. We use Capstar in conjunction with Sentinel when required, which luckily for us, is rare.

http://www.shootag.com.au/

This is supposed to work for 4 months creating an electromagnetic field around the dog and preventing fleas and tics. Is this a case of "If it sounds to good to be true - then it isn't true?.

I hate putting chemicals on my dog and my Mothers poodle has been burned by Advantage and Advocate.

The "30 day money back guarantee" appears to be only for faulty workmanship, not if the product doesn't work. The rest of the FAQ reads like a lot of hocus pocus to me with lots of disclaimers in case it doesn't work.

The "30 day money back guarantee" appears to be only for faulty workmanship, not if the product doesn't work. The rest of the FAQ reads like a lot of hocus pocus to me with lots of disclaimers in case it doesn't work.

I've spoken with the Shoo Tag people - their product is not going to work in every and all circumstances. Generally speaking, if infestation is high, the tags might be insufficient. They report they have had people who even in high infestation areas, have informed them their dogs didn't seem to be attracting (eg) fleas. But they've had the reverse as well. When I spoke with them, they seemed honest and upfront about the fact that whilst they do get many successes, they admit to some situations not being as effective or successful at all.

If I had a flea issue, I would probably like to try the Shoo Tag - if it worked, then it is something that means I do not need to apply or administer any drugs to control them. If it didn't, then at least I would know.

I have PM'd the OP, as I am trialling the Shoo Tag to determine usefulness. It will only be a small trial, because I only have a couple, but I have offered the OP to send the tag to her to trial - the only conditions being that she adheres strictly to the directions for use of the tag and promises me to provide me with regular reports regarding progress/outcome.

In areas where paralysis tick is a liklihood, I would not be prepared to 'try it out' on my dog to see if it works though.

Edited by Erny

I've spoken with the Shoo Tag people - their product is not going to work in every and all circumstances. Generally speaking, if infestation is high, the tags might be insufficient. They report they have had people who even in high infestation areas, have informed them their dogs didn't seem to be attracting (eg) fleas. But they've had the reverse as well. When I spoke with them, they seemed honest and upfront about the fact that whilst they do get many successes, they admit to some situations not being as effective or successful at all.

If I had a flea issue, I would probably like to try the Shoo Tag - if it worked, then it is something that means I do not need to apply or administer any drugs to control them. If it didn't, then at least I would know.

I have PM'd the OP, as I am trialling the Shoo Tag to determine usefulness. It will only be a small trial, because I only have a couple, but I have offered the OP to send the tag to her to trial - the only conditions being that she adheres strictly to the directions for use of the tag and promises me to provide me with regular reports regarding progress/outcome.

In areas where paralysis tick is a liklihood, I would not be prepared to 'try it out' on my dog to see if it works though.

Hi guys I have been meaning to get back to you about my "trial" with the shootag. It is a bit difficult to generalise from an experience with just one dog so please take my account as just that. It is by no means a perfect trial.

I put two shootags on my dog. One for fleas and one for ticks. He is a whippet and at the time I put them on about 10 months old. Before he had the shootags he had never had a flea or tick and I had applied advantix to him about ever 8 weeks. I am not keen on lots of chemical treatments. Being a whippet he is fastidiously clean and is mainly inside when he is not out walking.

After putting the shootags on he remained tick and flea free for about 6 weeks and then we went on holidays to a pet friendly house at Tallows Beach at Byron Bay. There must have been a previous doggy visitor there with fleas as the little courtyard had a bit of an infestation. It took 24 hours of our boy going to the courtyard for toilet breaks before he had a lot of fleas (50+ ?).

Now I don't know if he had less than he would have without the shootags or not. He had fleas. As the Byron area in December was supposed to be a bit of a hot spot for ticks I was a bit worried that if fleas could get on him so might ticks (even though it is easy to check him over after each walk). I gave him a flea and tick bath. Waited a day and then advantixed him up again. Shootags in the bin.

I remain interested in whether they are an effective control.

• 3 months later...

I have had amazing results with Shoo Tag - I would recomend them to anyone.

The best thing is that I no longer have to put nasty chemicals on my dog anymore!

I've heard that it doesn't work for all dogs but it will for 97-99%......just like the chemicals don't work for everyone either.

They also offer a money back guarantee - something the chemical treatments have never offered.

I'm a convert - Shoo Tag all the way for me!