Main Reg: No Breeding 'til Health Tests Done

sandgrubber

I want to transfer a girl on Main Register with No-Breeding until she's reached a year and had health tests as appropriate for the breed done. Unfortunately, as things stand with my breed, you have to do the tests before you can breed, the regs will allow breeding for a dog/bitch with bad hips or elbows. Sire and dam are both PRA clear, so genetic eye tests not needed.

The obvious way to do it is a Non-Breeding Contract. That will require me to eventually do a secondary bit of paperwork to repeal the non-breeding contract once the tests have been passed. Is there a way I can get myself out of the loop, and set it up so that the Non-Breeding Contract dies if and when health tests are done and acceptable results are presented to the relevant Canine Association.

p.s. I'm in WA, the bitch is going to SA. I'm thinking of moving back to the USA and would like to make things simple for the puppy buyer and open a channel for the breeder to require health testing even where the K9 authorities haven't been willing to do so. I'm no spring chicken. In th bigger picture, I'd like to set it up to avoid legal chaos that benefits only the [accursed] solicitors should I meet an early demise.

Edited by sandgrubber

why not put her in both names and then when she passes the tests just sign her over to the new owner. You'll have time, even if you are in the USA to post paperwork backwards and forwards if need be before she is mated.

Or perhaps a long term lease could be the go?

That way, you can have a no-breeding clause in the lease, she reverts to your name at the end of the lease at approx 18 months of age and you don't transfer her to the "new" owners until health-testing is completed to your satisfaction? ie - you will actually own her so the "new" owners shouldn't be able to breed her without your say-so. :D

I know it's a pain as your going to be OS (sorry to hear that Sandgrubber :o ) but as Miss Monaro said, it will be a bit of postage but also peace of mind ;)

Hope this idea helps :D

I want to transfer a girl on Main Register with No-Breeding until she's reached a year and had health tests as appropriate for the breed done. Unfortunately, as things stand with my breed, you have to do the tests before you can breed, the regs will allow breeding for a dog/bitch with bad hips or elbows. Sire and dam are both PRA clear, so genetic eye tests not needed.

The obvious way to do it is a Non-Breeding Contract. That will require me to eventually do a secondary bit of paperwork to repeal the non-breeding contract once the tests have been passed. Is there a way I can get myself out of the loop, and set it up so that the Non-Breeding Contract dies if and when health tests are done and acceptable results are presented to the relevant Canine Association.

p.s. I'm in WA, the bitch is going to SA. I'm thinking of moving back to the USA and would like to make things simple for the puppy buyer and open a channel for the breeder to require health testing even where the K9 authorities haven't been willing to do so. I'm no spring chicken. In th bigger picture, I'd like to set it up to avoid legal chaos that benefits only the [accursed] solicitors should I meet an early demise.

Cant you trust the person you are selling her to?

Cant you trust the person you are selling her to?

Good question. I think I trust her, but I wish I had more trust in my own ability to judge character. I am a trusting sort, and a few people have violated my trust. By far the easiest solution is to let the pup go on the Mains and hope for the best. The pup has great health profiles as far back as I can follow her pedigree, so maybe I'm being overprotective. Gawd damn it's hard to find the balance between trust and doing your part to ensure that people do the right thing. Maybe I should give up trying to be policeman. In some ways I think the growing tendency to caution and 'accountability', aka officious behaviour, is a worse scourge than the occasional small scale breeder who tries to make money off breeding a bitch that shouldn't have been bred. I have a gut aversion to co-ownership as a way of exherting power after a pup once it placed.

If things go haywire there is really not much you can do about it if you are in another country.

You may not even know the dog has been bred from until it is done.

Unless you can trust the person 100% & even that has been known to backfire, I would put the dog in both names until the tests are done.

It will not stop a litter being bred, nothing will if that is what they want, but it will stop them being registered.

Which gut instinct is strongest ?

The one against co ownership or the one that tells you that you can trust the person 100%.

Personally I dont agree with breeders placing such conditions on their dogs.

Breeders have to make all kinds of decisions based on many more things than just hip scores etc and

O.K. sure some new kids might make some mistakes - just as we did and still do but I think once you say "O.K. you can have a dog

for breeding". You have to trust they will make their own decisions and hopefully take your advice and if you cant do that dont sell them a dog.