Need To Learn How To Show Groom A Golden Retriever

goldenluv

have put this in the Health and grooming section as well, hope that's ok

I need to learn how to groom a golden to show

I can find DVDs from America, is the grooming used here the same as in the American shows

any help would be greatly appreciated

that is if I can keep him clean long enough to brush :o

attachment=206735:17_9_09_003.jpg]

post-32672-1267758840_thumb.jpg

Hi Goldenluv if you want to vist our Qld website www.grcq.org.au under the grooming section we have some tips for you. For showing once they get older you do have to trim their necks and it just takes a practice after all this years sometimes I still cut holes in their coats. Australian dogs are groomed quite different to the American Golden Retrievers as American lines are quite different to English lines

Edited by Russkie30

The best tip i can give you is to buy the right grooming tools for the job. I had no idea how to groom my golden Karma when we first ventured into the showring. I made friends with other golden ppl and got a lot of help and advice re:grooming from them.

Good luck :rofl:

My essentials for grooming my golden are:

mars coat king #12

mars coat king #20

mars stripping knife (for the ears)

decent pair of thinning shears

decent pair of scissors

small ball end scissors (for the feet)

mason pearson boar bristle hairbrush

teflon coated comb

nail clippers

grooming table

ear wipes

I use plush puppy products to wash/enhance/prepare the coat for the ring

I have sat and watched a family member - who has had goldens for 25+ years prepare her dogs for the ring, and even helped a bit too

Basic items:

Brush and comb

Thinning Shears/Scissors

Straight scissors

Brush and comb coat and make sure there are no nots.

Thinning scissors on the neck area, trim between pads and around feet with straight scissors, as well as the shape in the tail.... She trims up and baths a couple of days before the show, and then just washes/rinses any section requiring a touch up before the show.

There is no set rule fro grooming .

In goldies some do very little,some do the basics & others trim .

The main key is it must be done regular .

It amzes me how many butchered goldie necks i see at shows & it is very obvious it was done the day before.

Trimming should look well blended & like it was never done

thank you for the advice

lol, I'm so nervous about the first cut in the neck area

I have always keep the feet neat even when I only had pets, but Its giving me gray hairs to think of cutting for the ring

:rofl:

may have to get game and ask some questions at the next show, now that he is getting a coat

lol, was so busy try to just make it around the ring was not thinking ahead

Ask your breeder ,ask other exhibitors or even people in other breed who are good groomers.

It isnt hard BUT the more regular you do it the easier it is & you have the line to follow.if you let it get woolly & overgrown it becomes hard work if your not sure

Hi Goldenluv if you want to vist our Qld website www.grcq.org.au under the grooming section we have some tips for you. For showing once they get older you do have to trim their necks and it just takes a practice after all this years sometimes I still cut holes in their coats. Australian dogs are groomed quite different to the American Golden Retrievers as American lines are quite different to English lines

thanks for the web site, was very interesting

can a person be a member of your club if they are from a different state

I'd speak to your breeder about it. They should be able to show you how to do it. When they showed us, we filmed them so we could then practice at home. Or find a breeder near you (etc a DOLer) and do the same thing, video it and practice at home.

I have sat and watched a family member - who has had goldens for 25+ years prepare her dogs for the ring, and even helped a bit too

Basic items:

Brush and comb

Thinning Shears/Scissors

Straight scissors

Brush and comb coat and make sure there are no nots.

Thinning scissors on the neck area, trim between pads and around feet with straight scissors, as well as the shape in the tail.... She trims up and baths a couple of days before the show, and then just washes/rinses any section requiring a touch up before the show.

Sounds perfect to me.

Thats my routine aswell, If I cant find someone else to do it for me :D