Mia Freedman Article In Today's Sun Herald - Do Not Buy A Puppy

Katdogs

http://www.mamamia.com.au/weblog/2010/03/b...mpulse-buy.html

Mia talks about how many puppies have been bought by her friends, but end up being rehomed after a year or so. She's discouraging impulse buys, especially from pet shops, and promoting adoption of rescue adult dogs.

The article was in today's Sun Herald, and probably the Melbourne Sunday paper as well?

Edited by Katdogs

http://www.mamamia.com.au/weblog/2010/03/b...mpulse-buy.html

Mia talks about how many puppies have been bought by her friends, but end up being rehomed after a year or so. She's discouraging impulse buys, especially from pet shops, and promoting adoption of rescue adult dogs.

The article was in today's Sun Herald, and probably the Melbourne Sunday paper as well?

I don't think "any" dogs purchased on impulse, puppies or adults provides the best ingredient for promoting a for ever home for the dog. Adding a dog to the family should be a well thought over decision in my opinion :thumbsup:

I have composed a letter to the Sunday Age regarding this article. Whilst I'm happy with her statement about not buying a puppy on impulse, I was quite upset by the way she and her aquaintances regarded their puppies as "disposible" when they turned out to be too big a commitment. I also have an issue with her statement that adopted dogs are "grateful" how many dogs do you think actually feel "gratitude" - total bulls*t!

I have said in my letter that impulse buying is one of the reasons ethical breeders would like to see pet shops banned from selling live animals.

Anyway, check out the "Sunday LIfe" next week & see if they publish my letter!

Edited by poodlemum

Was it just me who read a lot of "purebred puppies = problem, rescue dogs = always good" in this? Obviously the type of "purebred" she's talking about here is BYB and pet shop and therefore to be discouraged, but it just seemed like there was an underlying current....one which seems to set people up to expect a rescue dog to be easier than a "purebred" (wherever it may come from)

(I'm possibly not expressing this very well - I've got nothing against rescue, just concerned that people might take a different message frmo this article)

I think if you read the comments, many posters equate purebred puppies and rescue dogs as the same "good" option, and pet shop puppies as bad.

The way her and her friends have all given their puppies away is shameful, but I don't think anywhere in the article she is proud of that. She is just being honest. And to be fair, it certainly proves the point everyone on this forum consistently reinforce: a pet shop puppy can be a nightmare. If you have a young family and don't have the time and patience to raise a puppy properly, an adult dog is the better option.

And I am sure by gratitude, she actually means loyalty :mad

Good article but I think the focus on pet shops purchases being the only dogs disposed of is becoming too overused

I know of more purebred dogs being "disposed" of these days than pet shop ones.... for reasons that astound even me

No-one should rush into the purchase of animal, no matter where it is being sourced and if you do take on animal then make sure you are prepared to put in the hard yards because it is a big commitment, generally a minimum of 10 years!

I am showing my ignorance, I know,but who is Mia Freedman?

What does she do or what has she done in the past.?

All of you seem to be aware of her, but I have never heard of her, and thought I was reasonably well read.

Is she like a Paris Hilton personality?

I am showing my ignorance, I know,but who is Mia Freedman?

What does she do or what has she done in the past.?

All of you seem to be aware of her, but I have never heard of her, and thought I was reasonably well read.

Is she like a Paris Hilton personality?

Her website is readily available to you, as is Google. No she's not a Paris Hilton type & she's done quite a lot in the past. Don't want to deprive you of letting your fingers doing the researching though.