Do You Have To Be Hard...

After training and competing in both Obedience and Agility I found the Show Ring difficult and most certainly am a newby. All of a sudden that amazing animal has four legs, a tail, a head and proper movement that you have to be thinking about. When before you could simply trust in your training and know that the outcome would be positive.

All of a sudden it is not about the effort you put in and the relationship between handler and dog...it's about looks. Sometimes proper confirmation I have found doesn't even come into it. Plus I am a movement freak...I really appreciate great movement vs. flashy movement.

So how do you deal with the judges decision on any given day...well it took me awhile. I did find it hard that my wonderful canine companions were not always the judges choice. Well, accept all of the small wins and enjoy the time spent with your dog. Once I gained a better understanding and accepted that just because my dogs don't get points for the day didn't mean they were not appreciated specimens of the breed. Plus I began thinking of the kennel...when my boy gets reserve challenge and then runner up best of breed to his brother...wow! I'm thrilled...okay no points but obviously the judge sees qualities in the breeding that can be appreciated.

Of course it is always easier to be with a good group of people at a show. This allows everyone to celebrate someones successes even if they are not their own.

:cool:

Edited by BeagleBoys2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL at the trialling and obedience stories. I have had some severe 'bag on head' moments with mine in agility.

Blossom the Malt will take off to sit with the stewards under shelter if the weather is a bit too hot or too cold. If the weather is 'just right' she will pick her own course, usually consisting of each tunnel done three times, then take herself out of the ring :):rofl: . Peebs is a bit of a worrier, and if he thinks he has made a mistake he will go up on top of the dog walk and wont come down :rofl: .

There use to be a wire foxie that trialled here & in the down/stays would crawl all over the place,if the judges stood in front it just crawled over,around or in between,funniest thing out & you never saw daylight

Oh I remember this!!!! ;) Just hysterical, and you're right - never did you see daylight under that dog :thumbsup: :D Can't remember who owned this little dog - for some reason June Owens springs to mind??

Funny, I have never really had a nerves problem walking into a show ring with several different breeds of dog, but I used to fall to pieces in obedience/agility and my dog knew it! If I was more nervous than usual he would play up something shocking which of course meant I was more nervous next time... :D It was a wonder I got him through to his CD. Agility, however, was given up as a bad joke after our first trial where he set his own course and completely ignored my plaintive requests to come back :rofl: The more spectators laughed, the worse he got.... I can laugh now but at the time I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me :thumbsup:

To try and come back on topic :rofl: , having born the brunt of nasty underhanded tactics and snide comments at dog shows in the past which really rattled my cage at the time (I was much younger and not much self-confidence) I think you do need to develop a thick skin if you want to continue to enjoy this hobby.

After taking a break from showing and getting on with life for a few years I have started to come back into it with a much healthier attitude... I try not to make other people's problems & dramas my own, I go and enjoy myself and whatever dog I'm showing at the time, I have a great time chatting to so many awesome people I am privileged to call friends and am always open to making new ones! I stewarded last night (first time in several years!) and had lots of fun.

I figure all I can control personally is my own attitude & behaviour so I don't let anything else bother me now. Looking forward to becoming a little more involved again over the next year or so - here's hoping! :):(

After training and competing in both Obedience and Agility I found the Show Ring difficult and most certainly am a newby. All of a sudden that amazing animal has four legs, a tail, a head and proper movement that you have to be thinking about. When before you could simply trust in your training and know that the outcome would be positive.

All of a sudden it is not about the effort you put in and the relationship between handler and dog...it's about looks. Sometimes proper confirmation I have found doesn't even come into it. Plus I am a movement freak...I really appreciate great movement vs. flashy movement.

Ah, but to be REALLY successful in the conformation ring there is a LOT of training/effort which goes into getting those wins. There is a partnership between the dog & handler and it's evident outside the show ring which handlers/dogs have "it" and which don't. Yes, the judge is in control of who wins, but it's not just a stroll around the ring. You must be aware of so many things and what you can do as a handler to bring out the best in your dog.

It's beautiful to watch a skilled handler/dog team in the show ring. It's extremely painful to watch one that hasn't practiced or just thought they would run around the ring together because that's all they thought conformation was. :D

Oh I remember this!!!! laugh.gif Just hysterical, and you're right - never did you see daylight under that dog laugh.gif thumbsup1.gif Can't remember who owned this little dog - for some reason June Owens springs to mind?

Not June may have been Thelma

Ah, but to be REALLY successful in the conformation ring there is a LOT of training/effort which goes into getting those wins. There is a partnership between the dog & handler and it's evident outside the show ring which handlers/dogs have "it" and which don't. Yes, the judge is in control of who wins, but it's not just a stroll around the ring. You must be aware of so many things and what you can do as a handler to bring out the best in your dog.

It's beautiful to watch a skilled handler/dog team in the show ring. It's extremely painful to watch one that hasn't practiced or just thought they would run around the ring together because that's all they thought conformation was. :thumbsup:

When I first came to showing from obedience/agility, I looked at the classes and thought "how hard can that be"? I know now! :thumbsup: The improvements in my handling are all down to more experienced handlers taking the time to give me tips and lessons.. and constructive critiques from my fellow exhibitors watching ringside.

I had a judge tell me yesterday (not the one in my ring) that my dog and my handling had come a long way in 12 months. Just goes to show that people are watching and evaluating, even when they aren't actually judging you.

I think to be really REALLY successful, there's also a lot of effort in physically conditioning the dog so that it can move as well as its conformation allows.

Edited by poodlefan

When I first came to showing from obedience/agility, I looked at the classes and thought "how hard can that be"? I know now! :thumbsup: The improvements in my handling are all down to more experienced handlers taking the time to give me tips and lessons.. and constructive critiques from my fellow exhibitors watching ringside.

I had a judge tell me yesterday (not the one in my ring) that my dog and my handling had come a long way in 12 months. Just goes to show that people are watching and evaluating, even when they aren't actually judging you.

I think to be really REALLY successful, there's also a lot of effort in physically conditioning the dog so that it can move as well as its conformation allows.

There is also a lot of effort in physically conditioning the Handler as well. :thumbsup:

It's one thing to have a dog that moves beautifully but if the handler can't keep up with the dog to exploit this movement then it is a waste.

I'm now cycling 20Ks at least 2-3 times a week just to get fit enough to show my guys to their best advantage.

There is also a lot of effort in physically conditioning the Handler as well. :thumbsup:

It's one thing to have a dog that moves beautifully but if the handler can't keep up with the dog to exploit this movement then it is a waste.

I'm now cycling 20Ks at least 2-3 times a week just to get fit enough to show my guys to their best advantage.

I think its safe to say that I'm benefitting as much from roadwork with Howie as he is. :thumbsup: