Koolie Club Sheepdog School Near Canberra

The next Koolie Club Sheepdog School will be at Binalong, NSW (near Yass and Canberra) on 3 and 4 April - Easter Weekend. As usual the school will be held on a large sheep and cattle property with extensive wool yards and a very big shearing shed which enables us to work inside if the weather is poor. The trainer is Brad Pellow, manager of the property, who has represented Australia in yard dog trialling. Cost for the two days is #130 or $50 to audit.

Anyone interested should PM me their email and I will send them booking forms or answer any questions.

• 2 weeks later...
Perry's Mum, are there any one day schools coming up, or basic intro type things? I'd still like to try Shandy, but don't necessarily wish to commit to 2 whole days, if she isn't going to enjoy it!

Perry's Mum will correct me if I'm wrong, but generally up at Binalong I thought Brad preferred for you and your dog to do the full two days if it's all new. So the first time I went along to a sheepdog school (which was in Bungendore) I went along to 'audit' just to see what the deal was.

It's an early start :rainbowbridge: but the mornings are beautiful and it's a grand day out! Everyone is always very friendly and encouraging (even when you have a loud, fairly thick dog like someone I could mention :hug: )

yeah, I'm sure I'd enjoy it, but I'd rather actually try letting Shandy near some sheep, before comitting her to a full weekend! She's only ever seen sheep in pens, and I know she's a herding breed, and does exhibit herding behaviours, but its still a pretty big comittment if you get there and find your dog has absolutely no aptitude with stock...

Brad does prefer people to do a full weekend because some dogs who do not have workers in their direct lines e.g. most show line border or kelpies or Aussie Shepherds can take a couple of days to click on, but he is prepared to let people come for one day and try it. You cannot always tell by the end of the first day how much your dog will like it or take to working but I have seen some dogs look terrified or uninterested on the first day and then on the second the lightbulb goes on and they are into it.

Perry's Mum, are there any one day schools coming up, or basic intro type things? I'd still like to try Shandy, but don't necessarily wish to commit to 2 whole days, if she isn't going to enjoy it!

Perry's Mum will correct me if I'm wrong, but generally up at Binalong I thought Brad preferred for you and your dog to do the full two days if it's all new. So the first time I went along to a sheepdog school (which was in Bungendore) I went along to 'audit' just to see what the deal was.

It's an early start :o but the mornings are beautiful and it's a grand day out! Everyone is always very friendly and encouraging (even when you have a loud, fairly thick dog like someone I could mention :rofl: )

Hi Mooper, when was the Bungendore clinic & do you know how often they have them, please. It's a bit closer than going to Binalong & I'm familiar with it. Thanks.

I'm a total novice & Tilba hasn't really seen sheep before so don't know how she would be either.

Edited by luvsdogs

luvsdogs -- as Perry's Mum said, I'm not sure that they're run in Bungendore any more. I think the Bungendore & District Sheepdog Association may be defunct?

But I can tell you it was run at Paul Darmody's place, and he was a Past President. So if you get in touch with him, he might be able to help.

Lots of folks used to come down from Camden for the Binalong clinics (and stay overnight in the township on Saturday), so I presume it's not that tough a hike from Sydney. Not much different to Bungendore, I would have thought.