Any Universal Set Of Hand Signals For Obedience?

By way of introduction, I've just joined a local dog obedience club with my 10 year (+/-) Dal girl I've had two years now. Last year, back in the USA, we did an AKC recognized Canine Good Citizen certification. Now we are doing basic heeling on lead, stays and recalls. I'd really like to use hand signals along with voice commands. This might be a classic Newbie question, but is threre a set of hand signals used for obedience? In particular, when you want the pooch to stand rather than sit at the heel. Also, stay at the heel. I try to step off with my right leg, but what's the hand signal?

Hi DalGirl, and good luck. There isn't a universal set of hand signals, but I think most people use both hand signals and voice commands. For stand, the usual signal is a hand swept down in front of the dogs face, with the palm facing the dog. I use a closed fist, moved in the same fashion, as I find this differentiates it from a 'drop' command, where the palm faces the ground, and a 'stay' command, which can look very similar.

But I have a hobbit pawed corgi, so I have to reach down much further than people with tall dogs, which does remove some of the mvement from my hand signals!

Hi DalGirl :cry: There is no standard set of hand signals but ideally they should be clear to the dog without being exaggerated (if you intend to trial) I use my left hand just over the dog's head for the stand signal, my left leg stepping off is the heel signal, but you can also use your left hand in a forward gesture at the same time as you step off. Down is given with my right hand in a downward gesture and sit is automatic. For recalls where-ever your hands start (eg at your waist) must return to the same place after you give the signal (for competition) Others may have different signals but these work for me. :laugh:

By way of introduction, I've just joined a local dog obedience club with my 10 year (+/-) Dal girl I've had two years now. Last year, back in the USA, we did an AKC recognized Canine Good Citizen certification. Now we are doing basic heeling on lead, stays and recalls. I'd really like to use hand signals along with voice commands. This might be a classic Newbie question, but is threre a set of hand signals used for obedience? In particular, when you want the pooch to stand rather than sit at the heel. Also, stay at the heel. I try to step off with my right leg, but what's the hand signal?

These are great suggestions. What about when I want the dog to stay when I step off? That is, the dog is sitting in the heel position, and I step off with my right foot. One of the trainers in the local obedience clubs tells people to use a sweeping motion in front of the dogs face, with the right arm. (He insists that all hand signals come from the same hand/arm).

These are great suggestions. What about when I want the dog to stay when I step off? That is, the dog is sitting in the heel position, and I step off with my right foot. One of the trainers in the local obedience clubs tells people to use a sweeping motion in front of the dogs face, with the right arm. (He insists that all hand signals come from the same hand/arm).

Hi DalGirl,

It doesn't matter what he insists, you'll see some people using eg left hand for stand, right hand for drop and right hand for stay.

And you don't need to sweep your hand across the dog's face, you can simply place your hand in front of its face, fingers closed, palm towards it

and say "stay" in a pleasant but firm voice.

luvsablue &

beckie the bluey

I have learnt the hard way that the signal you use is not important. What is important is that is is easy for you to use and clear to the dog.

I've learned when I start training COP I should write the signals down on paper somewhere so I remember which is which. :hug::(:)

The only ANKC Obedience test you would need this signal would be UDX and you have a choice of signal or verbal command, not both. Most people use a verbal but I have experimented with a right handed signal that goes from my waist in a backward arc to my hip. I think I'll ultimately use a verbal in competition though.

What does anyone use as a hand signal for stand (say, from a sit or drop), when you're at a distance?

I have learnt the hard way that the signal you use is not important. What is important is that is is easy for you to use and clear to the dog.

I've learned when I start training COP I should write the signals down on paper somewhere so I remember which is which. :hug::(:)

I keep arriving at the supermarket without my shopping list so I guess now I will arrive to buy a "stay" and train with margarine, bread...

Old age is a wonderful adventure!!!!

• 1 year later...

I am wondering about this too. Does anyone know of a flyer, pamphlet, diagram that shows some of the hand signals? I have been taking my dog to obedience classes but find that sometimes I forgot which hand signals are which. I did ask the instructor if he had diagrams of them ( I am more visual when it comes to these things) but he said no. I have been looking it up on google but have only found they describe the action ( no diagrams). If anyone knows where I could get them, I'd be so grateful

I am wondering about this too. Does anyone know of a flyer, pamphlet, diagram that shows some of the hand signals? I have been taking my dog to obedience classes but find that sometimes I forgot which hand signals are which. I did ask the instructor if he had diagrams of them ( I am more visual when it comes to these things) but he said no. I have been looking it up on google but have only found they describe the action ( no diagrams). If anyone knows where I could get them, I'd be so grateful

I don't think you'll find diagrams of them, and even then, it may be hard to understand. The best thing to do is watch some obedience trial videos on youtube for hand signals :)

I think that ultimately you just have to decide what hand signals YOU are using and practice, practice, practice them both with and without your dog :)

If you can go along to an obedience trial to watch, you get lots of ideas.

What does anyone use as a hand signal for stand (say, from a sit or drop), when you're at a distance?

I didn't read your post right :o . I use the same command as I do when healing to stand from a distance and can't remember what I was advised for trialling so can't help you out.

Edited by Paulp

for me i use "WAIT"with my left hand for the re-call, change of position, dumb bell, box, jumps and anything that requires the dog to move from the position i left it in for another exercise before i return, my hand signal is pushing the air towards the dogs nose with open palm.

I use STAY with my right hand, when the dog is not to move until i return and release, my hand signal is just pushing air towards the dogs nose with an open palm across my body for stays.

hope that makes sense.

W@hen you are heeling what hand is your lead in? If you keep it in your left use your right hand for your signals depending what level your dog is at.

Since i use food with my puppy, i use my lead in my right and swap my lead over to my left on certain commands, which i find annoying, but easier for the puppy.

get into a pattern and stick with it.

for a STAND i swing my right arm from my belly buttom to the right (robot move) until it is fully extended out from my body.

SIT i push my hand up like i am throwing a basket ball one handed with right hand until fully extended or until the dog sits.

DOWN I swing my arm like i am about to wave or doing a mini freestyle swimming stroke and push air towards the dog's direction

i use verbal aswell.

I don't think you'll find diagrams of them, and even then, it may be hard to understand. The best thing to do is watch some obedience trial videos on youtube for hand signals :)

Thanks so much I will look it up on you tube. Just a new member and have just started training with my labrador. BTW your dogs in your banner are gorgeous.

I think that ultimately you just have to decide what hand signals YOU are using and practice, practice, practice them both with and without your dog :)

If you can go along to an obedience trial to watch, you get lots of ideas.

Thanks wuffles I did go to class today and got some clarification on what we should be doing. I was just worried that Sasha wouldn't pass the exam and the end of the term if I was using the wrong hand signals. I will keep trying.