Sob 50mm 1.4 Is Sick

Kirislin

I love my 50mm but not long after I bought it I noticed it didn't always focus, it would just freeze. Eventually when I realised it was the lens and not operator problems I took it back to the retailer and they sent it off to Canon. Not surprisingly, because it's such an intermittent problem, they couldn't replicate it. I asked the retailer what would happen if it does it again outside the warranty period and they said because I've already reported it as a problem it will be OK, any repairs would be free. Well it's started doing it again, but now when I ring Canon they say it's outside the warranty and they wont promise anything. I think I should either get it repaired or even replaced FOC but I dont hold out much hope of that. I am so miserable. :crossfingers:

Edited by Kirislin

Talk to the retailer directly and explain what happened and what you were told.

Always get "exceptions" to any warranty in writing because often the retailer will tell you what you want to hear without having any authority to make decisions on behalf of the manufacturer. If they won't put it in writing, you know they aren't giving you accurate information.

It really sucks when a piece of gear isn't doing what it should do :) I feel for ya. Talk to the retailer first, you might find that they have a solution.

Also make sure that all of your contacts are clean, sometimes they can be downright finicky for no real reason and cleaning them, even if you don't think they need it, can magically fix the problem.

I've already talked to the retailer, they are the ones who told me to go directly to Canon. Then when I rang Canon they said it's out of warranty, and I explained what the retailer had previously told me about it being a known problem so therefore covered under warranty. They said that's between me and the retailer. There's some buck passing going on. I've since told the retailer what Canon said and they say it's nothing to do with them. I have written a letter to Canon explaining everything and asking for either free repair or replacement lens, fingers crossed I get one or the other. My main concern, apart from having to cough up $$ when I dont think I should, is that they just wont be able to find the fault. It's such an intermittent problem, it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't do it for them. :)

I hate when I have a problem with something and then take it in and the fix it guys can't find it. SO frustrating!!

I hope you, the retailer and Canon can work out something. From your posts it sounds to me like it's the retailer who made the out of warranty promise, not Canon, so I'd totally be on their butts about it. Good luck!!

Well, I've posted it back registered mail to Canon in Sydney with an explanation of what the problem is and a request for either repair of the parts (even if they cant find anything wrong with the lens) or a new lens. Fat chance methinks of either, but there's no harm in asking. If that doesn't work it's back to the retailer to try to get them to make good on their word, but I suspect if they cant find the fault I will be stuck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, so far NO good. :rofl: I got a quote today for $374.63!!!! Considering the lens was away for most of July last year it's only about 8 weeks out of warranty, PLUS I'd reported the problem while it was still under warranty.

I am drafting them another letter in the hope they will see that it's just not fair to charge me to fix this problem. If they dont fix this I certainly wont be buying another 50mm lens from Canon.

Man, that really really sucks.

I am still confused tho - you said it was the retailer who told you that Canon would honor a repair out of warranty. So to me it looks like it is the retailer who is at fault on the info, not Canon. Canon is saying, I think, that it's out of warranty and so you have to pay. I don't think it's right to be upset with Canon for upholding their policy when you were not acting on information from them, but rather from a retailer.

I would seriously be hitting the retailer in this case as it is because of THEIR bad information that your hopes were up.

Maybe I missed something? Did you have confirmation from Canon that they would, indeed, extend your coverage outside of warranty because you had reported the problem to Canon already?

I don't know how much time passed between your retailer sending it off to Canon, Canon sending it back to you and this recent resend back to Canon but all of Canon's checks should be in writing and if there wasn't too much of a lag and it's the same exact problem, then for sure I'd hope Canon would come to the party somehow to make this less of a financial burden!

What a total PITA for you - I feel your pain and hope you can get some less expensive solutions ASAP!

I sent the lens back to Canon as the retailer had told me to. Canon still has it. If they wont fix it I certainly will go back to the retailer and try to get them to replace it. I dont like my chances though.

I've actually had a bad record with that retailer. I've bought 2 expensive items off them and both have failed. I got a film camera from them in 1996 which was faulty and ruined most of my once in a lifetime holiday photos. I took it back, they repaired it, I got it back, it still didn't work properly, they repaired it again and another fault surfaced, they gave me a new camera and when I'd had it for 13 months it stopped working altogether. I took it back and they said it's not worth fixing.

Then this lens. :rofl:

Even though I realise it's not acutally their fault that both items aren't working, I dont think I will buy anything else from them.

I sure as hell wouldn't be buying anything else from that retailer! Ever.

Might be worth going to the retailer and asking if they will put something in writing about your conversation and forwarding that to Canon, too. Or at the very least, directly naming the employee and retailer that you dealt with. I've found that manufacturers often do care about their public face, even on small scales and it may give your claim a little more push for leniency.

Crossing fingers for you!

I sent the lens back to Canon as the retailer had told me to. Canon still has it. If they wont fix it I certainly will go back to the retailer and try to get them to replace it. I dont like my chances though.

I've actually had a bad record with that retailer. I've bought 2 expensive items off them and both have failed. I got a film camera from them in 1996 which was faulty and ruined most of my once in a lifetime holiday photos. I took it back, they repaired it, I got it back, it still didn't work properly, they repaired it again and another fault surfaced, they gave me a new camera and when I'd had it for 13 months it stopped working altogether. I took it back and they said it's not worth fixing.

Then this lens. :laugh:

Even though I realise it's not acutally their fault that both items aren't working, I dont think I will buy anything else from them.

I found this interesting about the history you have had with this store. When I started my search for a camera in my price range and accessories, I was warned away from a certain retailer here. Similar stories here expensive item purchased and did work properly. Retailer exchanged and again not right. After much negotiating the item was sent away and repaired and then two weeks later replaced again and failed just outside the warranty. I was warned about this particular store by a couple of people al with similar stories.

Perhaps they do not take enough care when storing and handling what they have in stock.