Nikkor 50mm Lens...

redangel

Ok when I purschased my 50mm nikkor lens I purchased a af 50mm nikkor. I was actualy shopping for a 50mm afs nikkor. So Now that I have the previous mentioned....do I resell to get a afs? What are the price differences????? So far as I have read the af is faster than the afs but lacks the ability to manual override in auto setting. Any ideas????

Edited by redangel

You can see the price difference here: 50mm

Do you have the 1.4 or 1.8?

Based on you have a 1.4. I would not be to concerned about upgrading for the sake of the AF-S. Save your money for another lens. :thumbsup:

But if you have the 1.8, then I would upgrade to the AF-S.

I'm forgetting what camera you have redangel. I'm possibly missing something here but the difference is only that the AFS lenses have their own focussing motor. So if you are "only" shooting with a D40, D60, D5000 (entry levels) then you need to use AFS lenses. Because the camera does not have a focussing motor, it just tells the lens motor to get on with it.

With those bodies, you'd have to manual focus, (unless you have an AFS lens on the camera).

But if you have a D90, D3, D300 or whatever body - then you don't need AFS. So there is no reason to change it, as it's the camera body does the auto focussing. The quality of the glass in the lens is as excellent and won't be improved by having a focus motor in it.