Puppy Poop ...breeders Please?

Sharna3

When we bought our 8 week old pup home she had soft poops. The person we got her from also reccomended Supercoat & Puppy Milk. As first time EVER puppy/dog owners we went out and bought the puppy milk and followed the sellers instructions to a tee!

We very quickly stopped the puppy milk (I think we only fed her 2 meals with it) and kept going with the supercoat and a tablespoon or two of warm water. At around 12 weeks we added minced chicken carceses and she LOVES them! Her poos are nice and firm now! :laugh:

HTH!

I fully sympathise! We've had all these puppy poopy dramas ourselves. Puppy milk definitely made things horrendously bad in this household (sloppy joes everywhere) as did the breeders recommended diet of Supercoat and puppy mince.

It's a matter of trial and error and trying different foods (we switched to Royal Canine with good results) and I've had to be really strict with his intake of things like treats and bones.

Certainly for the first few days whilst pup settles you might get a bit of a jelly belly but if it continues then definitely look at diet as the culprit!

I know I am jumping in late here but.......... by any chance had the pup been given any green coloured chews??????? anything containing food dye can change the colour of the poop and often causes bowel irritations.

Also over feeding can be a culprit for both vomiting and diarrea (spl)

I know I am jumping in late here but.......... by any chance had the pup been given any green coloured chews??????? anything containing food dye can change the colour of the poop and often causes bowel irritations.

No, no chews, I haven't actually let him have any treats yet, just the supacoat and milk, and water. I think I will wean him off the milk and maybe replace it with water slowly.

Ive read that he shouldn't be introduced to any new foods for 2 weeks; is this about right? As I'd like to introduce mince to his diet, with a little vegies, but don't want to do it too soon??

No, no chews, I haven't actually let him have any treats yet, just the supacoat and milk, and water. I think I will wean him off the milk and maybe replace it with water slowly.

Ive read that he shouldn't be introduced to any new foods for 2 weeks; is this about right? As I'd like to introduce mince to his diet, with a little vegies, but don't want to do it too soon??

I only waited to add raw minced chicken as I wasn't aware of the benefits of feeding it. As a newbie puppy owner I thought dry supercoat was all my puppy needed. In hindsight I am glad I waited. :laugh: I think it was good to have that adjusting period. I haven't added raw vegies yet but might in the future. Poppy has had apple, carrot, watermelon and raw egg on her food and hasn't reacted badly to any! ;)

One last pupdate.

Harley wasn't getting worse but not getting better either - and I noticed a bit of a potbelly so off to the vets we went.

He's got worms - not so unusual in a puppy and I'm glad that's all it is :-) So he's wormed, will re-worm in 3 days then every 2 weeks and he should be on the up and up from now on :(

Also going to stop being a sooky-la-la and cut out the puppy milk completely; he doesn't need it and will be better off without it.

Thanks all :)

One more thing that I have done with our puppy, is give him some Yakult. He was appearing very quiet, but 30 hours after having Yakult - we had our puppy back! Natural yoghurt would do the same thing. It puts the good bacteria back in their tummies. Other than that, he has Beef mince, puppy milk with an egg in it and his yakult. He is also on a mix of Supercoat and Nutro Puppy. He is doing well. We make up enough puppy milk to last about 2-3 days, and the egg and the yakult gets mixed in with this. Initially though, we gave him a full yakult in one hit. Then 12 hours later gave him another one. His coat is very shiny and he is a happy lively little guy.