Here We Go Again With Ruby's Cruciate

Please keep Ruby in your thoughts today. She's booked in for the cruciate surgery that she was supposed to have in December (when they found the tumor and removed her spleen). We're using a different vet due to costs and it's thanks to DOLer's recommendations that we've found Susan at Anvet.

Ruby has had three bad reactions to GA and/or the induction agents used in the past six months - there has been no explanation and different drugs were used the third time. So I'm really concerned at this point. But the cruciate has to be repaired as she can't bear weight on the leg at all. :hug:

Please send positive vibes Ruby's way - firstly that she doesn't have any tremors or seizures while under, and secondly that the surgery on her cruciate goes well, and thirdly that nothing else goes wrong. This poor girl has been through so much in her life - we call her the "million dollar dog" because she's had so many vet bills and had a lot of things go wrong in her life. She's 10 this year...we're hoping she'll be around for another 5 + yrs as long as she's well and happy.

I'll post an update when I can. :(

Edited by lillysmum

Quick update:

Ruby came through surgery all right - no reaction to the GA or induction agent. :) The knee has been repaired but Susan did say Ruby's exceptionally lame so it may take a while to see any improvement there. Susan also gave Ruby's teeth a good clean because Ruby's not been able to enjoy raw bones (except the occasional fish head) due to the food allergies. That should improve her breath somewhat! :D

She'll stay in overnight, so hopefully home tomorrow morning. She's resting comfortably and the crate is still set up from the last surgery...so when she gets home, she can continue to recover.

Thanks for the well-wishes - please keep her in your thoughts as she goes through the next stage of recovery and rehab. :)

:D Sounds positive so far. Hope it continues along the right path. Occy had a cruciate ligament and luxating patella done nearly 2 years ago now and that leg is quite good. Wish I could say the same for the other three legs.

Susan also gave Ruby's teeth a good clean because Ruby's not been able to enjoy raw bones (except the occasional fish head) due to the food allergies. That should improve her breath somewhat! :D

Really pleased to hear that Ruby has come through fine .... I checked in on this thread late this afternoon and was hoping that it was not because of anything bad - so I'm relieved to hear all is well.

Regarding the teeth. I use Colloidal Silver for many different purposes, but one I didn't know of was for keeping teeth clean and gums healthy. My sister's dog (Monty) is 12 or 13yo now (Bearded Collie) and in recent times had to have a few rotten teeth pulled. He had the remaining teeth cleaned also, but the Vet pointed out the gingivitis and suggested using Colloidal Silver to clean them with (using one of those rubber finger tooth brushes for dogs). My sister reports that all the gingivitis has completely cleared up and his teeth are staying clean and his breath doesn't smell anymore. Monty, for whatever reason, has never been into chewing bones, which of course doesn't help the teeth cleaning process. Perhaps the Colloidal Silver tooth brushing might help Ruby as well?

Susan also gave Ruby's teeth a good clean because Ruby's not been able to enjoy raw bones (except the occasional fish head) due to the food allergies. That should improve her breath somewhat! :)

Really pleased to hear that Ruby has come through fine .... I checked in on this thread late this afternoon and was hoping that it was not because of anything bad - so I'm relieved to hear all is well.

Regarding the teeth. I use Colloidal Silver for many different purposes, but one I didn't know of was for keeping teeth clean and gums healthy. My sister's dog (Monty) is 12 or 13yo now (Bearded Collie) and in recent times had to have a few rotten teeth pulled. He had the remaining teeth cleaned also, but the Vet pointed out the gingivitis and suggested using Colloidal Silver to clean them with (using one of those rubber finger tooth brushes for dogs). My sister reports that all the gingivitis has completely cleared up and his teeth are staying clean and his breath doesn't smell anymore. Monty, for whatever reason, has never been into chewing bones, which of course doesn't help the teeth cleaning process. Perhaps the Colloidal Silver tooth brushing might help Ruby as well?

That's a great suggestion, I'll look into that Erny.

Another update:

Ruby's home! She was a bit sooky last night but has settled well. At the moment, she's resting in her crate. The wound looks good, no irritation or inflammation other than what you'd expect from a surgical wound site. She's on Rimadyl and antibiotics and goes back next Friday for a check-up. She's still lame but has been able to extend the leg somewhat which is an improvement on the range of motion prior to the surgery. We are very pleased, not to mention relieved, that everything has gone so well. :laugh:

So we have a [hopefully minor] glitch: the wound seems to be a bit too 'gaping' and has been a bit oozy (mostly blood type fluid). She's going back first thing tomorrow for a wound check...fingers crossed it doesn't need re-stitching and it's just us being overly concerned.

She seems well enough but better to have it checked out.

Will update once the verdict is in. :banghead: