Taxidermy?

Pepi

I personally could not have my dog taxidermied........., I am lucky now because they can be buried on our property and we have several dogs of friends buried here too, because they like you were still moving around. Do you know anyone with a preperty who may allow that, I surely would be happy to do that for a person........Because in my early days we traveled a lot, we have had to leave loved ones behind. This always gave me some comfort to read

Where To Bury A Dog

There are various places within which a dog may be buried. We are thinking now of a setter, whose coat was flame in the sunshine, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This setter is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good dog. Beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or gnawed at a flavorous bone, or lifted head to challenge some strange intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. Yet it is a small matter, and it touches sentiment more than anything else.

For if the dog be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that dog sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in puppyhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where most exhilarating cattle graze. It is all one to the dog, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a dog. One place that is best of all.

If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living dogs to heel they should not growl at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there.

People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing.

The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master.

by Ben Hur Lampman

Thanks for posting this. I know a few people who have properties but only small ones and no one i know who will stay put.

If there's anyone from Adelaide on here who can help me out i would really appreciate it.

What a beautiful post Newfsie ,thanx for sharing The words r so true, in as much as whatever u chose to do with your belovd pet, be it bury or cremate ,the fact that it is only the empty shell that is there ,The spirit & love for your pet remains in your heart forever .,

I'd guess that a 6 kg dog will only produce less than 300 g of ash, maybe as little as 100 g. I would think you could find many pleasing ways to store the remains . . . a pretty box . . . an urn . . . and if you like th the green side of things . . . yes, you could mix the remains with potting soil and allow something to grow again. I also like the idea of sprinkling ashes in one of the dog's favorite spots . . . that's what I hope someone does with my ashes when I go.

Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I was just thinking would it be a good idea to get a large pot to burry him, a heavy duty one that will last and not fall apart. Do you think this could be ok so i could take him wherever i go?

He is only a small dog being a toy poodle and weighing in at about 6kg.

Edited by sandgrubber

I'd guess that a 6 kg dog will only produce around 300 g of ash, if that . I would think you could find many pleasing ways to store the remains . . . a pretty box . . . an urn . . . and if you like th the green side of things . . . yes, you could mix the remains with potting soil and allow something to grow again.
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. I was just thinking would it be a good idea to get a large pot to burry him, a heavy duty one that will last and not fall apart. Do you think this could be ok so i could take him wherever i go?

I wont cremate him, there's just something about it that eeks me out.

ermm- just burying him a pot would be most unpleasant for you as decomposition is a smelly business. .....

I may have to give the human cemetary a try then as a member suggested on here. That's my only option.

Several years ago we did this with our cat. We buried her in a huge pot and planted a cherry blossom tree and several bulb plants in it, so they'd keep flowering. We hung her tags on a silver chain from the tree. It didn't smell, not once, we put it out in the garden so any water from the pot went into the ground, and when we needed to, we refilled the pot with dirt to top it up.

Honestly, this is a better option than using taxidermy. The things you love about your dog will be gone. You're better to have those memories inside you, than a reminder of something that looks like your dog, but isn't any of the things that made you love him.

We got the biggest pot we could, it was absolutely huge, and we placed it half full of dirt, then put Lily in the middle. We never had to worry about it, and our dog never paid any attention to it, so it shows that she didn't smell.

Best of luck, terrible situation to be in :(

My mother-in-law had her heart dog cremated and put in a small ceramic box. She placed that box in the bottom of a pot plant. She absolutely cherishes that plant. It is a lovely idea and she can take it to what ever home she moves to.

I believe that our memories are in our hearts and we can't fulfill that missing link with a lifeless stuffed animal in the corner of a room. I would like to wish you happiness in whatever you decide.

Sorry Pepi I was reading backwards as I didn't read every post. Completely understand that cremating may eek you out. Again, I hope you find the right decision for you.

Several years ago we did this with our cat. We buried her in a huge pot and planted a cherry blossom tree and several bulb plants in it, so they'd keep flowering. We hung her tags on a silver chain from the tree. It didn't smell, not once, we put it out in the garden so any water from the pot went into the ground, and when we needed to, we refilled the pot with dirt to top it up.

Honestly, this is a better option than using taxidermy. The things you love about your dog will be gone. You're better to have those memories inside you, than a reminder of something that looks like your dog, but isn't any of the things that made you love him.

We got the biggest pot we could, it was absolutely huge, and we placed it half full of dirt, then put Lily in the middle. We never had to worry about it, and our dog never paid any attention to it, so it shows that she didn't smell.

Best of luck, terrible situation to be in :(

Thankyou for sharing this beautiful story with me. Gave me some hope. Do you have any idea roughly of the dimensions or what type of material it was made out into. I am scared of something happening and going wrong and the smell is something that sure does concern me as another member previously pointed out.

Mother in law did this with both her cats, big pots. Still has them and they move with her no dramas. I'm 163 and the pots are roughly half my height. Our cat and bird is in our front garden with lavander growing on them and shoots of the lavander will go wherever we do, our dog was cremated and sits on our book shelf, I still talk to him and dust often.

• 5 years later...

I hope ive put this in the right section. Just wondering has anyone ever had their deceased pet taxidermied and if so what has been your experience and does anyone know anyone in Adelaide who does this?

HI there,

I'm so sorry i see the post is old, I have been busy with work and my new puppy recently, Amstaff :) and have not been on. I even forgot my sign in name, may have been ozamstaff :p

I do taxidermy and have recently started accepting pets, (something i said i would never do but due to demand i caved), and am in Victoria, but i do not know of anyone in Adelaide who works on pets. Some people may say to have your pet freeze dried, however most of Australia is too humid for that.

I do offer a pick up service from vets/property locally.

My site is www.animalarttaxidermy.com.au if you need any help. (admin remove/pm me if this is not allowed).

Edited by Animal Art