Minding Aunts Dog For 4 Months?

skip

My aunt has 2 poodles (small toys) that she has had for a few years and she is retired. Previously she had CKC.

She has a caravan and has only recently started going away on trips. The dogs go as well and I thought that was going well. However she has just called me and wamted to know if I would mind the girl for her while she takes the other.

The reason is that she thinks that the girl who is very active (unlike the quiet boy) would be happier staying with me. I have 2 dogs and the poodle loves my female. I don't know why as the chi I have does play with her but sometimes the chi also lays down the law. The poodle is about the only dog that my chi plays with thou.

I was thinking of getting a third more active dog for agility and maybe fostering in the future so this dog minding is could be interesting to me. I know it is a big respondsibilty but I would do anything for my Aunt who I love dearly. I have pointed out what a big change it is I work fulltime and go to training / agility comps etc.

The opinion I am really asking for is this-

The reason my aunt wants to leave the dog is that she feels the dog doesn't enjoy caravan life as it must be on lead a lot. The dog is used to being off lead on the beach daily and chasing a ball. Van travel is very different. She will miss the dog heaps but she says she is worried more about the dog.

I think the dog will be happier with her rergardless as leaving her with me is nearly like re-homing?

They have gone before but not for so long. My aunt has been told dogs have no concept of time - to which I asked how do dogs know when you are due home from work etc?

Any advice or opinions? If we did do this she would drive down to give methe dog a week early and if it is OK leave without picking the dog back up. If it goes to hell then she will pick up dog as she goes past on hols.

Thanks

Edited by skip

My aunt has 2 poodles (small toys) that she has had for a few years and she is retired. Previously she had CKC.

She has a caravan and has only recently started going away on trips. The dogs go as well and I thought that was going well. However she has just called me and wamted to know if I would mind the girl for her while she takes the other.

The reason is that she thinks that the girl who is very active (unlike the quiet boy) would be happier staying with me. I have 2 dogs and the poodle loves my female. I don't know why as the chi I have does play with her but sometimes the chi also lays down the law. The poodle is about the only dog that my chi plays with thou.

I was thinking of getting a third more active dog for agility and maybe fostering in the future so this dog minding is could be interesting to me. I know it is a big respondsibilty but I would do anything for my Aunt who I love dearly. I have pointed out what a big change it is I work fulltime and go to training / agility comps etc. The way I deal with my dogs differs from her care a lot. Mine are well loved but not as pampered as her dog is. I am understanding but some habits like feeding when the dog demands it won't be on.

The opinion I am really asking for is this-

The reason my aunt wants to leave the dog is that she feels the dog doesn't enjoy caravan life as it must be on lead a lot. The dog is used to being off lead on the beach daily and chasing a ball. Van travel is very different. She will miss the dog heaps but she says she is worried more about the dog.

I think the dog will be happier with her rergardless as leaving her with me is nearly like re-homing? Amd I think she worries too much about the dog - I think she will cope.

They have gone before but not for so long. My aunt has been told dogs have no concept of time - to which I asked how do dogs know when you are due home from work etc?

Any advice or opinions? If we did do this she would drive down to give methe dog a week early and if it is OK leave without picking the dog back up. If it goes to hell then she will pick up dog as she goes past on hols.

Thanks

I think if her main concern is for the dog then she should keep the dog with her and make sure it gets enough exercise each day. It's her responsibility and her dog. Just because she is on her holiday and it is a bit more difficult to manage the dog's exercise requirements doesn't mean it's better to re home the dog which is what she would essentially be doing. Keeping the other one with her may well cause problems when she does re introduce the one she left behind. The dog wants to be with it's owner, period.

If the dog concerned already has a good relationship with you and with your dogs it might be a good solution for her, if you are up for the extra effort. It's not like a stranger asking, you sound close to your aunt and familiar with the dog.

My only niggling concern would be what happens if you or the dogs (yours or hers) don't cope and there is not a way to get the dog back to her but the week trial would help test how it will go. Also you wouldn't necessarily want her thinking you can take her every time she travels, but that would just require you to be upfront about it.

Edited by Diva

If you don't mind say yes.

If you do mind say no.

You do realise that this will be a repeated request so think carefully & set the rules now.

I don't see why both dogs can't go. They are used to being together, the active dog has to get used to it, unless you dog sit every trip & she has all the time in the world to give the dog exercise.

Your choice really.

Yes, it's your choice.

I've looked after other people's tibbies for short & long periods. They've been happy living alongside our tibbies....who teach them the ropes.

They're no bother because they all sort of look after each other.

I agree that once the visiting dog's got used to this....it couldn't give a damn once the owner's gone.

THank you for your replies.

I found it surprising she wanted to leave her dog with me. I did point out some issues and she was going to think on it some more. I will be surprised if she wants to go ahead with it. ( And a bit busier)

I am glad some people think the dog would cope regardless. I was a little concerned about the dog not being able to cope and that it was unfair to the dog. I was worried about excessive barking (like when I get up to go to work at 5am and the dog will think she is going to the beach). But I would talk to the neighbours before the dog is having the test stay.

My aunt has been very supportive of me and if she decides to leave the dog then I will mind her. I think she would be better off taking the dog and adjusting how the dog acts, might suggest this.

THanks for the thoughts. Now I better take my 2 to the beach :o

Edited by skip