Getting/staying Fit For The Ring

Keshwar

I realised last year that I was letting my dogs down in the ring because I simply wasn't fit enough to show them to their best advantage.

I now cycle 20 Ks 2 -3 time a week to improve my overall fitness. Still working on fixing my diet, but thats another story.

What do others do to get fit or maintain their level of fitness for the ring.

I do roadwork with the Whippet and the poodles.

Come winter, when the snakes have gone to bed, it will be back to bush bashing up and down hills. :o

I'm fitter than I used to be.. I no longer go pale and clammy if the judge sends us round for a third or fourth lap. :rofl:

Edited by poodlefan

I didn't realise that for the last few years I've had asthma and after I had the twins it got worse. I used to nearly fall over after two laps around the ring and thought I was just really unfit (which I was).

Back in October I started playing netball three days a week. I haven't been to a show since last August but I'm getting keen to get back out there knowing that I'll now be able to keep up with the pointers and show them a whole lot better than I used to.

Now I just need a dog that wants to be in the show ring :o

I realised last year that I was letting my dogs down in the ring because I simply wasn't fit enough to show them to their best advantage.

I now cycle 20 Ks 2 -3 time a week to improve my overall fitness. Still working on fixing my diet, but thats another story.

I just changed dogs!!!! Went from Working Dogs to Toys... :thumbsup::cry::)

Ahhhh, I lost 45 kilos, that sure made a difference hahaha. We walk or cycle everyday and I can run and run in the ring and barely be puffed now, whereas I used to think I would pass out if I had to do two laps...

Well done on the weight loss, that's an excellent achievement :banghead: I can relate I've lost 54 kilos and feel fantastic.

I had my first show on the weekend and never realised how physical it actually is running around the ring. I think concentrating on cardio will be the biggest plus. I hate running in the cold so winter will be a bit of a challenge I think. :laugh:

Ahhhh, I lost 45 kilos, that sure made a difference hahaha. We walk or cycle everyday and I can run and run in the ring and barely be puffed now, whereas I used to think I would pass out if I had to do two laps...

Well done on the weight loss, that's an excellent achievement :laugh: I can relate I've lost 54 kilos and feel fantastic.

I had my first show on the weekend and never realised how physical it actually is running around the ring. I think concentrating on cardio will be the biggest plus. I hate running in the cold so winter will be a bit of a challenge I think. :laugh:

It's less physical for some breed exhibitors than others!! :) I showed a Standard Smooth Dachshund and a Whippet on Sunday. No guessing which ws the more strenuous. Not only do you run harder with a big dog but you use all the ring and judges seem to like to see more laps from you.

Uneven rings are hard on you physically I find. I broke an ankle a couple of years ago and running hard on uneven ground can still make it sore. :laugh:

Adelong rings were wonderful - the recent rain has softened the ground a lot too. :D

One year, building up to a specialty I knew I'd be showing a few dogs at, I went to the Gym twice a week and worked myself up to run 2k's without stopping at a decent pace.

Once I hit my goal I quit the gym. :laugh:

Now I have to remember to do my 40 minutes of walking a day, I'm now not showing big dogs so much anymore so I don't need to run so much.

Just being sensible I think, watch what you eat and exercise.

A massive generalisation here but it seems a huge percentage of handlers are actually ineed of a bit of TLC themselves.

Running around the 2 ring twice shouldn't kill you.

Oh and take the dog with you when you exercise so it's actually in condition when its' in the ring!

Oh and take the dog with you when you exercise so it's actually in condition when its' in the ring!

Hmm... I know one of my teams could do with a decent Wing Defence. I wonder if my dogs would be any good. :(

If yours are anything like mine, they will pinch the ball and proceed to do mad-miles around the court, begging someone to chase them..... :D

I have to be fit now!

Damn . . . . . . . :(

I never noticed I was so out of shape while showing my boy.

His gait is a medium speed and he never really pushed me.

Then I got my girl in the ring :o

She powers ahead like her father and I am stuck trying to keep up with her.

And after running her, her father and two sibes then back in for group I nearly died :)

I have started walking more and made a change to what I eat, don't know how much its helped so far but its better then nothing.