Our Australian Shepherd Puppy

wuffles

Yep, because of the no colour around her eyes, also their ears aren't meant to be fully white I don't think, and also over her shoulders/withers/front leg region (someone correct me if i'm wrong - i'm just learning about all the correct colouring for Aussies!!). Theres rules to it all, but i'm sure someone can give you the specifics on it all!!! :thumbsup: I know with my girl, one of her eyes doesn't have colour fully around, she also has too much on her shoulders/front legs and her ears - so just too much white!! hehe, but it makes them so unique!!!!!

All I can say is she's stunning!!!! :) I know i'll never not have an aussie in my life now!!!!

That's right Beth ;) Her ears and eyes should be completely covered with colour. This may seem silly at first, but dogs with predominantly white on their ears and around their eyes are more likely to have hearing and sight issues. They also get sunburned easily which is not desirable in a working dog.

Thankfully she has enough pigment to have no issues :)

I love lots of white (except when she rolls in the mud), but I also understand why it's not the most desirable trait of the breed.

Here is the colour standard for aussies:

Blue merle, black, red merle, red - all with or without white markings and/or tan (copper) points, with no order of preference. The hairline of a white collar does not exceed the point of the withers at the skin. White is acceptable on the neck (either in part or as a full collar), chest, legs, muzzle underparts, blaze on head and white extension from underpart up to four inches measuring from a horizontal line at the elbow. White on the head should not predominate and the eyes must be fully surrounded by colour and pigment. Merles characteristically become darker with increasing age.

Disqualifications: White body splashes, which means white on body between withers and tail, on sides between elbows and back of hindquarters on all colours.

:thumbsup: oooh she is pretty :thumbsup: her mumma is such a beautifully natured girl I could have cuddled her all day at shows :thumbsup: Hopefully she got vivi's sweet nature :thumbsup:

I hope this thread continues with little ava pics as she grows ;)

Deb you must be thrilled she obviously has found a great home to have landed in, I know how much you wanted and loved this litter :thumbsup:

We couldn't be happier, Bec! Wuffles is the dream owner! :thumbsup:

Wuffles - your training videos are amazing!! I'm tempted to send some of our other dogs down to you for a while. You have done such a great job with your gorgeous girl. ;)

Greg took some photos of Ava's brothers tonight, so we'll post some for you. :thumbsup:

Hey Aussielover, not sure your girl would have been a mismark as she has pigment around both eyes and white doesn't actually "predominate" on her head. Other opinions?? White on ears isn't desirable for breeding/showing purposes, but isn't actually a disqualification (our girl Vivi has white on both ears). Is that Clover?? She looks very sweet.

Here are the boys, wuffles!

Dragon

Dragon%207th%20April%202010.jpg

Tally

Tally%207th%20April%202010.jpg

Sorry about the crap stacking (causing hunchy backs) - it's dark and wet here, and we've actually had a few dramas with these boys today (as in they managed to claw their way into some rat bait and had a rushed trip to the vet!! :thumbsup: ). They are both healthy and happy now though. Both their willies are hanging out too ;) :thumbsup: - might be something to do with the morphine-derived drugs they had today at the vet!!

Aww Deb, what sweet brothers Ava has :thumbsup:

Ours both have the sulks tonight after OH told them off for stealing things off the couch (eg. a remote control which still works but whose battery compartment is dog-tooth dimpled shut).

I'm glad you liked the training videos, she is such a great little girl ;)

Here are some more photos for research purposes :thumbsup:

IMG_1616-1.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

IMG_1652.jpg

White on the ears is a choice of the breeder.

If it is a small amount on a light merle, i wouldnt worry, but a large amount on a solid dog i wouldn't likely be found of it.

White ears are undesirable, but if the dog is the best dog on teh day in teh ring, it should win fair and square.