Is My Lab Overweight?what Food Should I Feed Her To Lose Weight

We all know that some dogs can live forever on cheap supermarket food but without a doubt all animals will do so much better on a good quality food. Its the same for humans, you could live a long life eating nothing but junk but you will live a much HEALTHIER life eating a good quality well balanced diet.

I would assume that if someone is a serious breeder they would feed the best, whether it be a BARF diet or a superior quality pet food. IMO it is all part of breeding the best quality pups you possibly can. I dont feel that you can breed superior pups feeding the bitch on poor quality food. If a breeder told me they were feeding their dogs supermarket food I wouldnt be interested in their pups but that is just my opinion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jodielass:

although i must say that i had a GOLDEN Labrador WHEN I WAS A CHILD AND ALL SHE HAS WAS A SMALL TIN OF TUCKER Box per day and she lived to 163/4 years of age

If you want to be a Labrador breeder Jodielass, start calling them yellow, not Golden Labs.

If you want to breed healthy pups, start by feeding a pregnant bitch food that she will thrive on, not merely survive.

Last bit deleted. Dog has been scored. Has she had a heart test?

Edited by poodlefan

I do not heart test my Labs, and I don't think any of the other Lab breeders in WA do. To my knowledge the necessary equipment isn't available in WA, and as there have been very few cases of heart problems in Labs -- other than the odd oldie dropping of at 14 years of age -- that heart testing is not justified. Need to avoid jumping on the wagon for every test that comes along. Some of them are very valuable. Some don't justify the expense.

I second the 'YELLOW, not gold' comment.

Dog has been scored. Has she had a heart test?
Edited by sandgrubber

I do not heart test my Labs, and I don't think any of the other Lab breeders in WA do. To my knowledge the necessary equipment isn't available in WA, and as there have been very few cases of heart problems in Labs -- other than the odd oldie dropping of at 14 years of age -- that heart testing is not justified. Need to avoid jumping on the wagon for every test that comes along. Some of them are very valuable. Some don't justify the expense.

Is there a PRA test for Labs?

Hip and elbow scores, PRA and sometimes EIC are the main tests for Labs - have not heard of a lab breeder doing a heart test.

For what it's worth, my lab breeder feeds Advance Puppy Growth Large Breed and a little bit of mince. I'd go with a good quality kibble or a well-researched raw diet - comes down to personal choice.

Yes. Most Lab breeders test for PRA or declare it by inheritance now. Newbies have the 'get out of jail free' option of using a PRA clear dog. Lots of them around.

Is there a PRA test for Labs?

Edited by sandgrubber

Hip and elbow scores, PRA and sometimes EIC are the main tests for Labs - have not heard of a lab breeder doing a heart test.

For what it's worth, my lab breeder feeds Advance Puppy Growth Large Breed and a little bit of mince. I'd go with a good quality kibble or a well-researched raw diet - comes down to personal choice.

I must have confused Labs with GRs on the heart issue. :laugh:

Re. The becoming a breeder. What would be really helpful for you is to find a mentor already established in the your particular breed. You will learn a lot from them. Even though I don't plan on ever breeding, I have a mentor who is a breeder and I have learnt loads from her.

Jodielass has already mentioned having ongoing contact with her dogs breeder.

Hey Everyone,

I have a few thoughts on this topic I thought I would share.

Megan - Cheers for the link to the visual chart for body weight. I've added it to my reference folder.

Mason's Mom - Your boy looks beautiful. He is a good weight :(

I also like your choice of food. Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Adult is a great dry food :D

I feed my boy Holistic Select Anchovy, Salmon sensitive dry food. He seems to like it :swear:

In regards to the fat content of these foods. Large and Giant Breed Adult has 13%

Sensitve has 12% and there is also a Reduced Fat Formula that has 9%.

But I do like the fact that both Large & Giant Breed Adult and Sensitive have added glucosamine

which aids in the treatment of many joint problems. :)

I feed Simba 3/4 cup twice a day, as I am trying to get his weight down. He currently weighs 30kg, but

I want him to weigh between 27-30kgs. As it will reduce pressure on his joints.

CHeers,

XXToughgirlXxxx

Hey Everyone,

Megan - Cheers for the link to the visual chart for body weight. I've added it to my reference folder.

Mason's Mom - Your boy looks beautiful. He is a good weight :wave:

I also like your choice of food. Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Adult is a great dry food :thumbsup:

I feed my boy Holistic Select Anchovy, Salmon sensitive dry food. He seems to like it :thumbsup:

In regards to the fat content of these foods. Large and Giant Breed Adult has 13%

But I do like the fact that both Large & Giant Breed Adult and Sensitive have added glucosamine

which aids in the treatment of many joint problems. :thumbsup:

I feed Simba 3/4 cup twice a day, as I am trying to get his weight down. He currently weighs 30kg, but

CHeers,

XXToughgirlXxxx

I may try the Anchovy and Salmon from the next bag as he is a very itchy dog, dont know if it will help any, he scratches a lot at this time of year so I know changing the food probably wont help all that much but we will see. He has also never been on a food with no chicken in so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference at all to his scratching. I feed around the same at the moment, Mason weighed 32,5 Kg the last time I weighed him but he seems to have lost a bit of weight as I have been watching his weight.

I find that cutting back amount is better than going low fat. If I put a Lab on a low fat diet I get a dull coat and a hungry dog. If I just feed less, I get a hungry dog but the coat stays ok.

My lab is hungry ALL the time :wave:

I find that cutting back amount is better than going low fat. If I put a Lab on a low fat diet I get a dull coat and a hungry dog. If I just feed less, I get a hungry dog but the coat stays ok.

My lab is hungry ALL the time :wave:

Yeah - how the hell do you tell the difference? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fish oil tablets are an excellent supplement to add regardless of what other food you feed. The dogs love them - they come running when I get them out and I just throw them a couple each.

[Fish oil tablets are an excellent supplement to add regardless of what other food you feed. The dogs love them - they come running when I get them out and I just throw them a couple each.

Do you use the capsules? Thats a great idea, i will give that a go too.

[Fish oil tablets are an excellent supplement to add regardless of what other food you feed. The dogs love them - they come running when I get them out and I just throw them a couple each.

Do you use the capsules? Thats a great idea, i will give that a go too.

Yep. Blackmores or Cenovis - something in the big tub. It's my compromise for not giving them sardines... I can't stand the smell.

Hey Everyone,

Mason's Mom - Your boy looks beautiful. He is a good weight :laugh:

I also like your choice of food. Eagle Pack Holistic Select Large & Giant Breed Adult is a great dry food :)

I feed my boy Holistic Select Anchovy, Salmon sensitive dry food. He seems to like it :)

which aids in the treatment of many joint problems. :thumbsup:

CHeers,

XXToughgirlXxxx

I may try the Anchovy and Salmon from the next bag as he is a very itchy dog, dont know if it will help any, he scratches a lot at this time of year so I know changing the food probably wont help all that much but we will see. He has also never been on a food with no chicken in so it will be interesting to see if it makes a difference at all to his scratching. I feed around the same at the moment, Mason weighed 32,5 Kg the last time I weighed him but he seems to have lost a bit of weight as I have been watching his weight.

Hey Mason's Mom,

Sorry, I'm not really sure whether Anchovy and Salmon helps with itchy skin. You could try going to the Eagle Pack website, they may

have more info on that :o