Easy Walker Harness

We have borrowed an easywalker harness from our obedience club for Leila our 13 month old GSP. She is doing really well with lose leash walking most of the time... but we are still having to work hard at it. This is fine for me when I walk her in the arvos because I have the time to stop and start and work on it but OH walks her in the mornings and he doesnt have the patience to keep reminding her at 6am! It was suggested we try the easywalker harness and it has been great for the morning walks, OH is happy, I think Leila probably gets more out of it, and doesnt mess up all the work I am doing in the arvos.

But, she is getting rub marks on her shoulders and under her armpits were getting a bit raw. I have followed the fitting instructions and have re-adjusted a few times but it still seems to be happening. I was thinking it might be because it was not tight enough, but it seems to be still happening when it is tightened right up (then I worry that it is restricting her movement).

Does anyone have the same problem or have any suggestions? I have thought of using a bit of wool (like you use on a horses headcollar) but I would have to pad the whole harness. We are going back to training tonight and will have a chat to the trainers before we make a decision but I dont know if this problem can be managed or not.

Maybe it is just the way she walks - she has the GSP swagger when she is really enjoying the walk!

I just found that they never fitted my dog properly no matter how I adjusted it and I gave up on it, I found the gentle leader or halti to work much better but I have stopped using that now too.

Good luck!

Have a look at the sensible harness instead (www.petdogtraining.com.au). THey are similar but don't seem to rub the way the easy walker harness does. They do look exactly the same but they are infact different.

Just remember though that if both you an OH are not consistent in reminding her everytime then she is going to learn to pull on the easy walker harness or any other sort for that matter. If the harness keeps rubbing then perhaps you would be better playing some games of fetch, tug etc in the backyard in the morning (and not reinforce any pulling) to tire her out and then go for your walk in the afternoon just on a flat collar when you have time to incorporate loose leash walking training at the same time.

We have used these at training school quite regularly and they work well but sometimes a narrow or slim dog does better when the front harness is also clipped to the collar. So attach the lead to the front harness and then to the D ring on the collar. This still allows the harness to work the way it is supposed to but makes for a better fit at the front. Might be worth at try.