Where Do I Pick My Puppy From The Airport?

spirrall

Hey guys,

I'm getting my chow chow delivered from NZ to Sydney on 1st April 2010. It coming on Air NZ arriving 3pm in Sydney. I've getting the process done through Pets by Air (a NZ company).

So where do I pick up the puppy?

What do I bring for the puppy?

What do I need to bring upon collection?

Appreciate all answers coming through

Cheers

Hey guys,

I'm getting my chow chow delivered from NZ to Sydney on 1st April 2010. It coming on Air NZ arriving 3pm in Sydney. I've getting the process done through Pets by Air (a NZ company).

Cheers

I picked my Great Dane girl up from the Perth airport.. She came from NSW.. Im sure it will be the same process. You normally pick them up from the Air mail section. My girl was right next to the Austrlia post office... Some pet carriers offer a comfort stop depending on the flight and stop overs etc. Did you have this?

Take your id as most carriers will not release the dog unless you prove who you are. You will also need to sign for your new puppy.

I took some water, small amount of food that the breeder had been feeding, she had a toy that the breeder put in with her, I took another one and a rug that smelt of our other puppy to get use to. We had a 2.5 hour drive ahead of us when I actually picked her up..

If you live close by to the airport you really shouldnt need much just lots of cuddles and love... On this note if your are going to want to cuddle your new family member, maybe ask some one else to drive you so you can safely give cuddles.

Enjoy your new puppy :laugh:

If you puppy is travelling alone, you will pick pup up from Air Freight, which is great as don't have to enter the terminal or pay for parking.

I have collected pups from Mascot. You enter & drive around the large carparks. Keep driving until you see large compound, Air Freight collection, you need to you drivers licence in order to drive in & park. Then wait for you bundle to off loaded and driven around from the plane for collection.

I would suggest finding out if you keep the crate or if it goes back to the company.

The breeders I bought from also sent a rug & toy that had been in with Mum & the litter for comfort. I didn't take food. But I did have someone else to hold & administer cuddles while I had to drive 90mins home :laugh:

International is slightly different to Domestic.

You are normally contacted by the Airline a couple of days beforehand to give an "OK to Forward", at this stage if you do not have information provided by the animal transport forwarder in NZ, ask the person for the details. Usually they provide details of location from where to collect, (some even fax/email it to you) approximate time to collect and any items they may want you to bring (Identification) and costs associated with the collection/processing fees. I was contacted a couple of days ago by another airline for pets coming to Melbourne in middle of next week to give "OK to Forward".

Note: If you are not a person that has been living in NZ and relocating to Australia with family pet, they may send you to Customs House (before releasing the pet) where they may attempt to gain money (duties/taxes) off you by treating the transportation to Australia as commercial in nature.

Once arrived at home I normally give some Aussie local water and mix with their NZ provided water, I find it helps settle the stomach and lessens the possibility of stomach upsets over the next couple of days.

I actually just picked up a Chow Chow puppy flying in to Melbourne from New Zealand a few weeks ago - I was called by an airline representative a few days before arrival, then on the day of arrival went to Toll Dnata offices to sign papers and pay $80, then waited for quarantine (a 45 minutes wait) to inspect the pup, then went to Customs to pay $120, then returned to Toll Dnata offices and picked up the puppy. It was a lengthy process. All I needed to bring was a credit card and some personal identification.

Many years ago I used to travel with my dog between NZ and Aust. He was always checked by a vet at quarantine and sometimes we had to wait for the vet to arrive - and it could be quite a while.

I'd be ringing Pets by Air or quarantine to ask questions.

Just make sure you have a lead as he may want to do a wee once out of his crate. If the crate is yours put him in that for the ride home.

You must be excited.

Hey guys,

Cheers

Meant to add that I flew with my dog and I always cleared customs a LONG time before he did.

I've only ever flown a dog domestically, so not sure about where or how to pick up, but my best advice is to take a towel or 3! Kodi had peed in her crate and was a bit gross when we first picked her up, then when we got in the car she spewed all over me, twice.

Someone else to drive the car is also handy, so you can be spewed on :rofl:

When I brought my lab boy back from NZ to Sydney in Oct 2005 (we relocated back to NZ for 18mths), he was on the same flight as me and I had to pick him up from AQIS which at that time was located at Qantas Bond next to the international terminal on Link Road. I had to go to customs first with necessary paperwork etc.

Before I left NZ I was trying to find out where AQIS was located at the Sydney Airport, so I sent an email to [email protected] and my email was forwarded onto the AQIS Assistant Airport Manager who provided me with all the info I needed. Be prepared to spend some time for the necessary processing of documentation and this may take a little while if they are busy. When I arrived my boy was in his crate on the loading bay as I had to walk past it to get into the office and some AQIS staff were already giving him water and attention and stayed with him until I had all the documentation processed :rofl: .

Take a collar and lead so you can let your puppy out to toilet after you pick your pup up and take some poop bags so you can clean up if pup poops :) I would also have some water handy and a bowl or travel bowl (one that folds up).

Enjoy your new puppy :D .

Contact the travel provider for your puppy and they can tell you EXACTLY where you have to go to pick up your pup. :D

Expect a complete mess LOL! Go prepared to clean up poop and vomit (bags, baby wipes, towels etc) a big bottle of (bought) water - DO NOT give local water straight away! :confused: And a lead to take your bubba for a wee walk before you get in the car. :)

Hope it all goes well for you and your pup! :rofl:

Hi t-time I've flown chow pups to Perth and in from NZ and they have never ever made a mess :rofl: Last puppy I flew to Perth had been crated for 7/8 hours due to delays, no mess or stress, did a HUGE wee once out on the grass though. Depending on how they have been raised ie in a home situation they will cross their legs and hold on for all its worth until they get out of that crate.

Good luck with your chow puppy Spirrall, might I say an excellent choice of breed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies guys. I ended needing to get from the Qantas Freight Centre but when I went there she didn't get on the plane apparently. Very upset and confused, I went home cause I realised they must have sent me something as I didn't check my email that day. She passed her vet check but ended up very stressed due everything and needing to stay overnight. So she kept biting herself and had all these infections. We're trying again on the 21st but at least I know where I'm going. Also, I'm trying to show her.... so hopefully, I succeed there!