What To Do About Chewing/eating Her Bed

becandcharch

Hoping dolers have some advice.

Asha is a chewer. We have learned to hide everything that she may be tempted by. Socks are her favorite delicacy.

When we go out the dogs have access to the laundry and the backyard. In the laundry we have (had) a huge dog bed and a big blanket for them.

She started out chewing a couple of corners and then we came home to the below :laugh:

The blanket had also been dragged through the dog door and half burried :rofl:

Any ideas on what to do?? They are inside with us every night but outside/laundry during the day and if we go out of a night.

I try and make it warm and cosy for them and dont want to leave them with nothing in there as its going to start getting colder.

She gets plenty of exercise morning and after work.

Any excuse to post a pic.

4426417810_d5ba53931a.jpg

Edited by becandcharch

That is a gorgeous photo :rofl:

Do they have plenty of chew toys, or perhaps a bone to chew on? My girl used to chew on my doona/pillow when she woke up during the night and she was bored. I would just give her a toy to chew instead, I find those hard plastic chewbones are really good, or give them a kong with treats inside or something like that to keep them occupied.

Do they have plenty of chew toys, or perhaps a bone to chew on? My girl used to chew on my doona/pillow when she woke up during the night and she was bored. I would just give her a toy to chew instead, I find those hard plastic chewbones are really good, or give them a kong with treats inside or something like that to keep them occupied.

Yes they have numerous balls, squeaky toys and a bungee rope hanging from a tree.

Whilst I doubt they would fight over a bone I only allow them when i'm can supervise. They dont ever fight but I wouldnt want to risk it.

Have you tried a bitter spray on the beds to see if that will deter her? Doesn't work for mine but it might be worth a try.

BTW I love the pics of your furkidlets.

Hi Bec, I have never tried this before although I wish I had of known about it when 2 of mine were pups, but a friend said to use aerogaurd, it is supposed to be really good and the taste is meant to put them off the chewing. I dont know how safe it is but I guess we put it on our skin so it cant be all bad. Although Im not sure how you would go if you have to spray blankets with it as I think it would just absorb in?? anyway just an idea.

Have you tried a bitter spray on the beds to see if that will deter her? Doesn't work for mine but it might be worth a try.

BTW I love the pics of your furkidlets.

Thanks Ams :rofl: no I haven't tried any sprays. What exactly do you use?

Edited by becandcharch

Hey Bec, very time consuming posting on the iphone!! I have a bottle of Petz plus Bitter bite here that I never even used, if you want it flick me a pm with your address and Ill pop it in the post on Monday. It is actually nearly out of date but not quite!!

Not sure if it will work and it might not be strong enough because it says it can be used on puppies, anyway if you want it let me know!!

I cant even remember why I bought it??

edited to add I just sprayed a bit out of the bottle and put a bit on my tounge :rofl: it is so gross so it just might work??

Edited by tlc

Yes they have numerous balls, squeaky toys and a bungee rope hanging from a tree.

Whilst I doubt they would fight over a bone I only allow them when i'm can supervise. They dont ever fight but I wouldnt want to risk it.

How old is Asha?

IMO aerogard etc sprayed on a BED is a bit cruel- with dogs' sensitive noses, the beds would not be a pleasant spot to be :rofl:

Just give them newspaper and op shop towels/blankets.... not as satisfying to chew- VERY insulating/warm, and cheap to replace!!

What about crates in the laundry? I have seen crate mats somewhere that tie down/attach to the bottom of the crate and are supposed to be almost impossible to chew. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly where I saw them though :D

Or even a well fitted canvas crate mat might be harder to get out and chew. I suppose you could even velcro it to the base if you wanted too....

(canvas mats: http://www.greatrugs.com.au./store/index.htm. I have a couple of these and they are very tough :angel: )

I have crates for my two Staffy's, they like having their own place. Being littermates they slept together until they were 7-8 months old, then one didnt like that anymore so moved into the other crate.

I tried for a long time to put Snooza's in their crates, after having 8 or so ripped to shreds I gave up.

Now I just fold up a blanket and put it in the crate for a bit of padding, then have another blanket loose on top in cold weather so they can snuggle up in it. I mean human single bed blankets folded up, not crappy dog blankets which they have also ripped to shreds.

BTW, excellent photos in the link embedded in your signature.

Dutch is a chewer too.

He killed both his and Knuckles beds, so we finally gave in and got Snooza D1000's. However, these are inside beds only and they get watched when they're on them, so we can train Dutch it's not okay to chew them (it's working!)

He tends to chew on things as he goes to sleep, poor little thing I think it's a sign of being taken from him mum too early. But he also chews because he can - which I guess is Asha's MO too :D

Have you thought about trampoline beds for the dogs as outside beds? And have soft bedding inside when you're around.

Trampoline beds aren't indestructible but they're not easy to chew - but easy to dig according to Knuckles, who has dug through 3 - who knows why!

But that's what I would suggest, trampoline bed with no-chew sprayed on it.

- Astred

Thanks guys, im back on a normal keyboard.

tlc that would be fab. I'll PM you. I love that you put some on your tongue :angel: :D

I agree that Aeroguard may be a bit harsh. That stuff stinks.

RottPerth Asha is 1. She is a rescue that we have had since December and didnt come with much training. We have her trained up so well now but the chewing is hard to discipline when you cant catch her in the act.

I have one large crate and they do sleep together so may be an idea. A mat that I can tie down would be good.

I think I'll try the spray first and perhaps try the other options if that fails.

BigDaz thanks for the compliment :(

Thanks people!!

Pers. after tasting the bitter spray I tend to agree, the spray or the aerogaurd would be very nasty tasting to a dogs taste buds! I was shocked at how disgusting the spray is!!

Bec does Asha chew up stuff while your home?? Could it be a separation anxiety thing? Just a thought. Two of mine when they were younger only chewed stuff when I wasn't home, could have been that they were bored even though they had had plenty of excersise before I went out. Or anxious that I was gone??

Yes yes, I know exactly what you mean, I was suprised to read on the label that it can be sprayed on the dogs paws if they are a paw chewer....gross. But Bec Im happy to post it off if you wanna check it out, Im never gonna need it. The tramp beds are probly a great idea, one of mine started to chew the edge of thiers but it didnt go any further than that. If you got a big one they would probly both get on together, I have two and four of mine sleep on two.

Have you thought about trampoline beds for the dogs as outside beds? And have soft bedding inside when you're around.

- Astred

THIS is a great idea. I could still get some old blankets and put them down as well. Thanks Astred :D

tlc not really. I have caught her once chewing the corner of her bed first thing in the morning whilst she was waiting for us to get up (they sleep beside our bed) I think its just fun for her.

She does like to find socks on the bedroom floor and carry them outside to destroy. Its one way to keep the house clean, just dont leave our crap lying around!

Years ago, when working with kennelled labs- we had the odd lick granuloma ..... I helped them heal by applying a few drops of something nasty (forget what) a couple times a day- on the spot-along with some panalog ....and ,whilst not being licked/chewed, they did heal, and the dog got out of the habit

Edited by persephone