Easter Egg Hunts

Nik

Hi all

I just received this message from the training school I took Annie to as a young pup. I thought it was rather timely, and I should post it on here to remind all on here of the dangers of chocolate with dogs. Apologies if it's been done before

THE DANGERS OF CHOCOLATE

Got kids at home? Plan on having an Easter egg hunt this year? Don’t forget your 4-legged member of the family is inquisitive and may find the eggs before the kids do. Remind the family to keep all chocolate and lollies high up and out of dogs reach. Here’s why…

What is chocolate poisoning? Chocolate poisoning is caused by excessive intake of the methylxanthine alkaloids in chocolate, coffee, tea, and some over-the-counter stimulants. The poisoning affects many organ systems, and animals of all ages are susceptible. Poisoning is common in dogs because of their habit of rapid consumption, particularly puppies and young dogs as they may be more likely to ingest large amounts of unusual foods. Since chocolate is often available and tasty, access to chocolate goodies is a problem. Although dogs are the most susceptible, the toxin has been known to affect or kill cats, birds, rodents and reptiles as well.

What are the signs of chocolate poisoning? Vomiting and diarrhea occur 2 to 4 hours after intake, and chocolate in the vomit may be obvious. Nervous system stimulation leads to hyperactivity, tremors, and seizures.

The heart rate becomes increasingly rapid and irregular. Excessive urination may result from the diuretic (water clearing) action of the chocolate. Advanced signs include stiffness, excitement, seizures, and extreme response to noise, light, and touch. Heart failure, weakness, coma, and death can occur 12 to 36 hours after intake.

How is chocolate poisoning treated? If your dog is having a seizure, do not attempt to cause vomiting; take him or her to your veterinarian without delay. If the chocolate has just been consumed ring your vet for advice immediately.

There is no antidote for chocolate poisoning. Your veterinarian may use drugs to induce vomiting if the chocolate was consumed within the previous 2 - 4 hours or a stomach tube and fluids to clear the stomach of chocolate, followed by activated charcoal treatment to prevent any drug remaining from being absorbed. In dogs with advanced signs, specialized medications are needed to control the seizures and to correct the rapid and weak heartbeat in order to prevent heart failure.

What is the prognosis for chocolate poisoning? The expected course of chocolate poisoning is 12 to 36 hours depending on the dosage and effectiveness of treatment. Prognosis is good if the chocolate is removed within 2 to 4 hours of ingestion. Prognosis is guarded in animals with advanced signs such as seizures and serious heart dysfunction. www.petalia.com

Yep, not looking forward to the regular Easter influx of sick woofers, and PLEASE everyone keep all your chocolate out of reach and if you have to have an Egg hunt lock up your dogs, and ensure all eggs are retrieved.

one product I've seen this year is "Hide 'em Find 'em eggs" Kmart and Target should have them in stock.

Basicly once you turn them on they start talking/giggling/making sounds for kids to follow and find them - once you open them up they have a little bunny or chick toy inside that says "you found me!"

easy to find, no chocolate to worry about and the kids get the fun of the "hunt" :laugh: Also really good for sight impaired kids :thumbsup:

ETA - if you want to give chocolate eggs also, it's easy enough to attach a note to one of them saying "find the rest of you eggs here:" with a picture of somewhere in the house the dogs can't get to :laugh:

Edited by Kissindra

I have seen the hide em ones too. We have a hunt but the easter bunny is very thoughtful and leaves a list of what is hidden where and the hunt eggs are small eggs hidden inside reusable plastic eggs. We use the same plastic ones every year filled with a few solid little ones and taped shut. The dog is also in the puppy pen till its over. You can get the plastic fillable hunt eggs $2 for a pack of six at toys r us.

I had a easter egg hunt years ago. All the kids found were the tin foil wrappings. My Rotty had cleaned up the lot. There were no ill effects fortunatly, just some disappointed kids. Maybe his 55kgs saved him or we were just lucky.

we do our easter hunt at the front, so the dogs can't eat them before the kids

Thats what we do too :laugh: And my kids know dogs can't eat chocolate so are really good and all chocolate go in the fridge, which makes it safe from the dog, Mum not so much :laugh: