Unusual Problem With Desexed Male Dog

barkon

Ok, so I was sitting outside with all my dogs ( 5 males) and two were playing. The play eventuated with one humping the other ( Ralph was lying on his back on the ground and Taz was humping on top). All very harmless I would have said, except Taz is now fully extended ( his penis that is) and seemingly can't put it away. Is there anything we can do for him or is this just what happens when dogs get knotted and it will go away on its own? :cry: I've always had desexed dogs so have no idea how it all works. :( Would appreciate some suggestions.....

Edited by barkon

My SIL has a desexed dog that sometimes has this problem - and his problem is the 'problem' doesn't go away. You probably don't want to know what my SIL has to do to fix it. But the vet says she has to do it or it could cause serious problems.

My SIL has a desexed dog that sometimes has this problem - and his problem is the 'problem' doesn't go away. You probably don't want to know what my SIL has to do to fix it. But the vet says she has to do it or it could cause serious problems.

You'd best tell me, I think... if you don't mind.

ETA We are ringing the vet as I type

Edited by barkon

you will possibly need to lubricate the penis to help get it back in. Sometimes the sheath can sort of fold in on the penis, if that makes sense, and needs to be unfolded gently and also with some lube. have fun with that :cry:

Edited by stormie

You'd best tell me, I think... if you don't mind.

ETA We are ringing the vet as I type

I thought you might guess.

She has to give him a hand job.

I was actually told to do that to Sabre the GSD as one of his testicles didn't drop - i was informed it should be done regularly and that will encourage the other one to drop. I got him desexed instead and going by where the other testicle was...it was never going to drop anyway :cry:

Gee thanks Stormie :( , Problem solved, seeing as we live on a thoroughbred stud farm and hubby is the stallion manager he got to do the deed. Plenty of lubricant and a bit of manhandling, the vet said to be sure to slide the sheath over rather then push the penis back. All done and we will know how to do it next time.. :cry: bloody horny males :angel:

Thanks for the advice everyone

Not such an usual problem, Oscar, the blue whippet in my siggy who's owned by a friend now often has this problem. Once it was so bad he had to go to the vet, but most of the time his mum can deal with it for him. He was neutered quite young and his sheath is small. I've always suspected early neutering was the cause but I have had others disagree so I dont know for sure. I can post a pic of his little willy if you want. hahahaha