Question To Labrador Experts

NaShAd

Hi,

My Labrador boy has recently started howling in the night. It is not every night, but some nights. He sleeps in the laundry along with my Golden Retriever. I leave the laundry door open for them. Initially I shut the laundry door and he soiled inside. I didn't want him to develop that habit and so left the door open. He goes out into the yard and howls.

He does howl if he hears a siren like an ambulance or a car/house alarm. But nothing like that is happenning at night. It is usually around 3-4am. Sounds very eerie and one of the neighbours have already complained.

Otherwise, he is a very quiet dog. Does not bark at other dogs or people.

Any suggestions as to why this is happenning would be much appreciated.

He is 2.5 years old and neutered.

Are you in a suburban area? Perhaps he can smell a bitch in season.

My thoughts as well, if he is entire, he may be able to smell a bitch in season! I have a boy who is just over 2 and when I have bitches in season he goes off his food and barks! Where at other times he never barks!

Are any of your neighbours shift workers who may be coming home at this time and disturbing him.I would suggest you close the laundry door so he cant go outside. He should be able at his age to not need to go out overnight.Perhaps he would feel more secure if you crated him instead.