Do You Find This Strange?

Mystiqview

Maybe they plan on putting lots of dogs together in run and doubling up on their kennel space.

It rings alarm bells for me

That's what I was going to say - since the christmas period is incredibly busy with dogs often being doubled up in some kennels I'm guessing that the kennel she asked is thinking (rightly or wrongly) that it would be just too much hassle to have 2 dogs smelling like a bitch in heat :laugh: .

Perhaps the kennel meant that she should ask breeders where they board their dogs, rather than asking to board their dog with a breeder?

Very possible, easy for someone to misunderstand.

Guest Willow
I think thats very irresponsible of the kennel to not ask if they are desexed!! Asking for trouble there

They kennel dogs seperately & don't run them together, so I don't think it really matters in my case.

hmmm Well hopefully the person in question finds an answer to their problem, atleast they are looking to the future and finding out about putting her dog in a kennel now, I am sure something will come up :laugh:

We too wont take entire bicthes at peak time unless they have had there season.

Last year we turned a couple away for the sepr/oct holidays as they would be/due in season & like already said one has to consider all the dogs in care not just that one.

Any other time no problem.

We ask all clients if sterilized & with bitches we ask how old & whether she has had a season.We dont mix but feel that is a question that must be asked as we have found very few will tell you they are due in season.

Infact we had a case last week where they turned up with bitch at day 7 & also owned an entire male & both where booked for the same run.on the day could we separate please,Umm no as we are booked out.

Owners ended up in a pickle & had to leave one & family take the other.

Often people have 2 dogs & at peak tme if bitch comes in you dont have spare runs to shift them too

I also have a boarding kennel. I will take entire males and females but will not take females in season. I do not double up dogs, the only dogs kennelled together or let out together are the same owners dogs. I am a very small kennel and a female in season causes males (even desexed males) to play up.

As for doubling up . . . many kennels allow 'play groups' . .. dogs are social animals and if you mix carefully, and pick and choose what dogs you allow, it can work very well. Putting unrelated dogs in the same run overnight without consulting the owner is shonky.

I agree with the above statement.

I work in a kennel which I would happily board my dogs in. Some dogs are mixed in playgroups with supervision (with owners' permission only) but dogs are only put into kennels with dogs within their own family.

Bitches in season are a real PIA. I couldn't imagine the issues of having one in during peak times. If the kennel has enough bookings to book themselves out during Christmas, why bother taking on a potentially difficult client?

Even dogs that aren't mixed are kenneled next to other dogs, they have to be especially during peak periods, and for some kennels there are only strong mesh fencing, a male can mate an in season bitch through such fencing, thus making trying to juggle kennel allocations even more difficult with keeping males from in season bitches.