Toileting Indoor

nicolatu

This is a play tent I bought online at crazy sales website. It's texture is just like normal tent and it has mesh all around it that we are able to see through. We can cover the top part.

I brought him to the vet last week and the preliminary results says that it is UTI. I collected the urine after he finish his anti biotics and gave it to the vet last night. But she turn it back because we are suppose to take the urine sample 2 days after he finish his medication(which we were not told).

We live in a rented unit(not apartment) and the backyard is secured. The yard is not big and all the grass area is now mainly sand. He does his toilet on the sand and I clean up after him each time.

He drinks quite a lot of water since the first day he came.

My plan is to bring him for proper obedience class after he finish the puppy school. I plan to teach him to play frisbee, is that considered a dog sport? If not, what do you recommend?

I give him Kong filled with treats to keep him occupied but he doesn't really play with it. He got a squeaky toy which he likes a lot. He also got a couple more toys to let him chew on but he also don't really play with them. I was thinking of buying a ball that when you roll it, the treats will come out. Will that be good for him?

This is a play tent I bought online at crazy sales website. It's texture is just like normal tent and it has mesh all around it that we are able to see through. We can cover the top part.

I brought him to the vet last week and the preliminary results says that it is UTI. I collected the urine after he finish his anti biotics and gave it to the vet last night. But she turn it back because we are suppose to take the urine sample 2 days after he finish his medication(which we were not told).

We live in a rented unit(not apartment) and the backyard is secured. The yard is not big and all the grass area is now mainly sand. He does his toilet on the sand and I clean up after him each time.

He drinks quite a lot of water since the first day he came.

My plan is to bring him for proper obedience class after he finish the puppy school. I plan to teach him to play frisbee, is that considered a dog sport? If not, what do you recommend?

I give him Kong filled with treats to keep him occupied but he doesn't really play with it. He got a squeaky toy which he likes a lot. He also got a couple more toys to let him chew on but he also don't really play with them. I was thinking of buying a ball that when you roll it, the treats will come out. Will that be good for him?

He'd probably like a treat dispensing ball if the treats are something he likes. With the kong try putting a little bit of peanut butter round the inside of the opening and that might interest him a bit better. My little boy loves any toys that are fluffy or squeak.

In terms of dog-sport I would consider dog sports to be things like agility and obediance trialling, and possibly fly-ball depending on your thoughts on hips - i'd personally rather not do that with my boy but i will have him trailling in agility once he's older than 12months (try to not encourage jumping games until he's 12months as that lets their hips grow nice and strong). Obediance and Agility are great fun for dogs and people - and also with my boy I intend to do Herding - teach him to be a sheep dog! There's lots of clubs you can join to do these sorts of activities and have a happy dog that loves to work for you. Even a small yard as long as it's secure will be better for him than a tent or crate for long periods of time, as long as he's got shelter, shade and somewhere warm to sleep he'll be a happy boy, and access to lots of fresh water - my by guzzles water non-stop! If he goes toilet outside then leaving him outside during the day when you're away as long as you're sure he can't get out would be best - again, get a small kennel for him so he has a safe hidey-hole to sleep in and he'll probably be a very happy boy.

Above all just give him love - it sounds like you do love him to bits, its just alot of work and i understand that, i'm finding it really hard work and he's not my first dog. It's so great to see well trained, well adjusted happy dogs.

I may get him into agility seeing that he has so much energy to burn. What age do people usually start in agility? He likes to eat chicken a lot so I was thinking of putting chicken into the treat ball. For the kong, I have applied peanut butter but he also doesn't really like it. He is not food oriented but he likes to chase stuff that moves. Is there anything which I can buy that will keep him occupied?

The play tent will be his temporary residing place in the house until he learn the house rules. Will let him roam around the place when he learn the rules.

I was just wondering if there is any other things which could stimulate him mentally other than training?

We will let him have free roam of the backyard when he is older and people can't steal him.

Check out the information on puppy training and particularly the info on errorless housetraining and the puppy playpen etc on www.dogstardaily.com under the Training Textbook heading. Read the info and check out the videos and other info that will be presented down the right hand side of the page. Hopefully this will help you with the housetraining issue that you're experiencing. Getting him a cat litter tray and inserting a sod of turf may work and I think their's some info on that at this website. If not happy to regurgitate what I remember about using this approach.

As for the hours left alone is there somewhere like a kitchen or bathroom that can be made puppy safe and have baby gates put across it to give your pup some more space. The website will also give you some clues on how to introduce and use a Kong to increase the likelihood that your pup will use it and get all sorts of spin benefits.

Is it possible for someone else, like a neighbour to drop in on the little fellow part way through the day or for you to leave him with someone? If not then you might want to think about day care options, doggy visits with doggy friends and/or dog walking as options for him during the day.

Dogs are diurnal (sp?) so they are most active morning and night - particularly single dogs so having a long period during the day to sleep is not necessarily harmful, if not ideal. But it would help to get him pretty tired out with some training and exercise (play etc) in the morning before you go and then leave him his meals (depending on what he's being fed) in puzzle toys and a treat or two (safe ones) to keep him occupied throughout the day. Even having a timer come on with the television and/or radio would give him something else to focus on.

It sounds to me like you're anxious to do the best you can for your pup. If in doubt I'm hoping you can get advice from the pup's breeder, your vet and perhaps talk to a dog trainer or behaviourist in your area. If you possibly can then get him into puppy classes ASAP as this will help both (all) of you out no end. If your vet runs one then I'd definately start by checking out theirs as a puppy that gets great fun and experience at the vets is much happier to go there for other reasons - and with puppy classes he won't need all his vaccinations to be able to attend (as long as they take certain industry standard precautions).

Good luck

Hi guys,

I think that when I typed it up yesterday, people may have been misunderstood by my poor English. What I meant was putting an indoor toilet in the house where my puppy can go toilet(not in his play tent). Sorry about the misunderstanding caused.

I have read the dogstar daily website before but because he hates the crate a lot when he came, we didn't let him sleep in the crate, but instead, he slept in the play tent. I had managed to crate-trained him by putting lots of treats in the crate and letting him have his meal inside the crate. He quite like the crate now. I bring him to the toilet indoor after he wakes up, play and eat. I tried creating the same surroundings by picking leaves, putting his wee there to lure him there. He had 2 accidents but he wee there once and we gave him so much praise.

He is also drinking lots of water so hope that helps his UTI.

I still have some issues with playing with him. He keeps biting so we stop play and turn our back on him for 10 seconds before we resume the play. But after we stop play then come back after 10 seconds to play, he still try to bite us. What did we done wrong? He only likes to play things that move, is there any toy recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

We have also started him in a puppy school run by an accredited delta instructor who have a cerfiticate IV behavioural dog training at our local animal hospital.

Our university classes runs for few hours daily(some days more, some less) but my girlfriend and I can adjust our time to come home and check on the puppy.

I have been feeding Coprice puppy food, raw chicken mince, raw chicken wings, 4 legs meat ball and cooked chicken pieces as treats. Coprice and 4 legs meat ball is what the breeder used to feed him but I am going to slowly change in to Eukanuba. But as the Coprice doesn't come in small packaging, we bought a 12kg pack so we will change slowly when Coprice is finishing.

I realise you are trying to do your best with this puppy but I am rather surprised that anyone sold such a novice owner, a Border collie puppy in the first place. They are one of the most demanding breeds to raise and a decent sized yard is an absolute must for them as puppies. You also need a lot of dog training knowledge to avoid the dog training you, because they will outsmart you if you do not know what you are doing. They need access to a secure fully fenced area at least 15 x 15 metres (a normal house yard), for an hour, at least 4 times a day as little babies, to run off some energy. They prefer an acre or two but a house yard will suffice. They can be penned in an area about about 2x3 metres, with plenty of toys, between play/toilet times but not kept in a puppy pen inside all day.

Fully trained adult Borders can cope living indoors with regular walks, but not as babies. Unless they are asleep Border babies need to be "doing something", be it training, running, playing, digging or chewing or destroying things. They never just sit around and look cute.

Borders are fanatical about toileting and can hold on for many hours to go where they think is right. My babies hold on 8 hours overnight from about 8 or 9 weeks and once they learn to go outside they would never be able to be taught to go inside again. Through the day when they are more active, eating and drinking they need to toilet at least every 3 or 4 hours. We often have trouble when we start to show them because many will not toilet outside the yard they have learned to go in. I once had a 4 month old puppy hold on and not pee for 21 hours when I took her away for a weekend. I walked her every hour until she finally had to go at 4 am. After lots of praise she accepted that it was ok to go away from home, and learnt to go on command, but she would never have reverted to going indoors again.

If you are going to keep this puppy you need to work out a way to change your lifestyle to suit the puppy. Find a puppy sitter to mind him through the day until he is big enough to be outside without being stolen or arrange for someone to come in and let him out through the day. A male puppy is going to have a hard time coping on his own all day in any circumstances and I never sell boys into a home where no-one is home all day. The females cope on their own much better but the boys usually need more company.

By all means keep asking questions on here, but your breeder should be able to answer any questions you have. Even if it means calling them every day. If you really think you have made the wrong decision about the breed, please return this puppy to his breeder asap. I know you were also looking at Japanese Spitz before you got this puppy and am wondering why you ended up choosing the far more demanding Border Collie that does not really suit your situation at all.

when he is older and people can't steal him.

:( being older will not stop him beimg stolen- in fact it makes him MUCH more valuable!

Your pup would be much happier investigating smells and things in the backyard :laugh:

any day now-presuming this tent is made of fabric- the pup wil learn that his claws and teeth will be able to rip the play tent .... then what do you do ?

Oh, and nic, when this puppy is a teenager, he will be very 'full on' and will be needing a lot more management than now as a baby who has not the physical size/strength to be too demanding... Agility and things are great! But not until he's fully grown ... he has to make you suffer thru his adolescence first!! :(

With our rental, we went out and bought a door at Bunning and got a doggie dog installed in it and replaced it with the original door (original door and put it in storage). This is so Charlie can go in and out of the house whenever he wants... maybe you can do something like that?

when he is older and people can't steal him.

:( being older will not stop him beimg stolen- in fact it makes him MUCH more valuable!

Your pup would be much happier investigating smells and things in the backyard :laugh:

any day now-presuming this tent is made of fabric- the pup wil learn that his claws and teeth will be able to rip the play tent .... then what do you do ?

I have known of several cute fluffy BC puppies that have been stolen out of yards over the years, usually from breeder's yards but it is something worth considering. Mine are never left out in the yard when no one is home until they hit the "uglies" at about 4 months and lose their cute factor. At that stage they lose their appeal and seem to be safe from theft.

We actually prefer bigger dogs compared to smaller dogs. We were looking at a couple of dog types and Japanese spitz and Border collies are few of our choices. We chose border collie in the end.

I go to uni for few hours then I will be back to check on him so that is not an issue.

I just got a panel which I could block off the yard so he could run freely in the backyard and won't be able to escape.

I have also give him lots of training but sometimes he doesn't react to me.

I just cleaned up my living room so we can play with him in there.

We actually prefer bigger dogs compared to smaller dogs. We were looking at a couple of dog types and Japanese spitz and Border collies are few of our choices. We chose border collie in the end.

I go to uni for few hours then I will be back to check on him so that is not an issue.

I just got a panel which I could block off the yard so he could run freely in the backyard and won't be able to escape.

If you are only going to be at uni for a few hours at a time, why on earth would you want him to revert to toileting inside :) Sorry but you are not making a lot of sense. Most owners would be ecstatic to have a puppy that is already toilet trained at this age and knows to wait until he is let out.

With the training, remember he is only a baby and should only be trained for a few minutes at a time. 4 or 5 minutes maximum, then let him play, then another few minutes later. Many little training sessions throughout the day are a must with a BC, but never more than a few minutes at a time.

I am afraid that he holds on too long which is not good for his urinary tract. I thought puppy usually needs to go toilet once in an hour so I want to let him know there is a place in the house where he could go to toilet. That is my intention.

Whenever I try to do training and give treats intermittently, he comes over and bite my hand. I don't understand. Am I doing something wrong in training?

There are a lot of big dogs that dont require the sort of attention a Border does...did you get the pup from a registered breeder? or was it a petshop?

I was going to suggest some temporary fencing to block him from peoples view, at least a second fence will stop someone reaching over to grab him, he will need to be outside, if he is inside he will get very bored and destructive

He is only 9 weeks old, you cant expect him to be switched on all the time

Whenever I try to do training and give treats intermittently, he comes over and bite my hand. I don't understand. Am I doing something wrong in training?

he is a BABY - and you are inexperienced, and perhaps trying /worrying too much :)

As said- a couple of minutes only per session .. and a few of them in a day is all you need. What training are you doing when he bites you ? How is it he can reach your hand?

here is some reading for you- maybe it has some ideas? LINK

LINK

I am afraid that he holds on too long which is not good for his urinary tract. I thought puppy usually needs to go toilet once in an hour so I want to let him know there is a place in the house where he could go to toilet. That is my intention.

I am sorry, but I really think you are way out of your depth with this puppy and it would be best for both of you if you returned him to the breeder asap. I am very concerned for this little puppy. You don't seem at all happy with him and don't have any idea about raising a puppy of any kind let alone a normal Border Collie, that this one sounds like. You have stated that he came from a reputable breeder and any reputable breeder would be more than happy to have him returned if you are not coping. If you think he is a handful now, he will be absolute nightmare in few months if you don't know what you are doing. Border Collies are one of the most demanding breeds to raise and not one that should be taken on by a complete novice dog owner, unless you have an experienced dog owner/trainer nearby to help you cope with them.

Please contact the breeder of this puppy and try to negotiate a return. Then do a lot more research about raising puppies, not just choosing a breed before you even think about getting another dog. If you don't know how to raise a puppy, an adult dog might be a better option than a puppy for you.

It sounds to me like many of the issues you're having with your pup are ones that many many puppy owners first time around and even experienced hands who haven't had a pup for a while experience.

With the training and treat issue leading to nips/bites then I recommend that you teach your pup 'off' and also to take food gently.

With nipping etc happening during play then a couple of things - end the play session for 5 or 10 minutes rather than turning your back for 10 seconds. You can also try not letting the play get to that level of excitement and arousal - just do a little and then give it a break before going on. Teaching games with rules like fetch and tug might help - because the game only continues if they show self control.

Check out:

For a start.