Opinions On The Canon G11 Please

Ellie's mum

Looking at getting a G11 as I want something a bit better than my current Ixus, which funnily enough no longer works after being dropped in as puddle :laugh:

I wasn't sure about going the whole DSLR route as I they seem very large and bulky, however I do require that the camera can take good fast action shots, horses dogs etc can cope with low light situations and be able to handle pics like these

FirePerformance.jpg

robertGlowPoi_16.jpg

Also the G11 has the ability to have extra lenses attached if I so require

I am however open to suggestions from the more experienced, this is strictly a hobby and am looking at spending no more than $1500

depends on your budget, but the Canon 5DII or the Nikon D700 are both great at low light, I regularly shoot at ISO 1600, 3200 etc and have printed images to to 30 x 40 with no problems. Shots like those ones you showed just need a tripod and remote trigger, so that you can keep the shutter open and play, you would find it very hard to handhold long enough for stuff like that. Have just got a D700 myself, and love it already (previously Canon only girl)

Head over to POTN's dedicated G series area here - tons of examples and real world use. These are excellent compact cameras.

here's a show off thread for the G10...I'm sure there's a G11 one somewhere on the board, but you'll need to look for it.

Compacts have inherent limitations, as does every camera. Shooting at high ISOs is one of those - they mostly just get by to 800ish (some suck at 400, but not ones we're talking about here). Don't go into it expecting dslr quality, simply great quality in a little package and you'll be fine.

heck, I've been known to shoot my $100 SD1200 at ISO 800 and still use the images so it certainly can be done!