Travelling While In Pup

sandgrubber

I'm waiting on a property to sell and then moving back to the US from Perth, WA. I'm bringing four dogs with. One is an older bitch who has been a great brood bitch and I figure is good for one more litter. I cannot predict my travel dates at this point. Question: should I just go ahead and breed her here (have a few good dogs in mind) and risk loosing the pups in transist? Or is the apparently horrible trip not-so-bad for a girl who gets support on both ends and has proven a good, fertile girl (unless I'm forgetting something, she's had 10 live births in each litter so far). Is it better to skip a season and try and find a good dog in a place where I know there are some great options . . . but I don't have contact

I'm pretty sure that she can't fly later than 6 weeks in whelp...

Personally - I'd wait until I arrived, settled in and then find a suitable stud dog to breed her to.

I've sent a 4 month old baby to the USA and she handled the long trip fabulously, she bounced out of her clean crate and walked straight the airport without a worry in the world.

If there are no quarantine requirements at the other end I think I may chance it for the 1st 2 weeks of a pregnancy.

Too scared of the stress causing her to abort any later.

Bad scenario if she is losing pups while locked in a crate.

Have you got a good vet with experience in dogs travelling that you can ask for advice ?

I can see that you want to take an Australian line over there & have not got reliable contacts yet but its not worth risking your bitch for. Have heard of dogs giving birth in quarantine. I would be out of my mind with worry.

The other option is to wait & ship over frozen semen from here.

When I lived in Canada, I imported a bitch from here that had been bred. Unfortunately she absorbed the pups about three days after arriving and being confirmed in whelp at four weeks along. Although she seemed to handle the trip well enough, clearly it was stressful as she went on to have three litters for me without incident, so it wasn't a case of her having issues.

Without knowing the dates you're flying, you might run into restrictions in regards to the bitch being too far along. If you barely had done the breeding however, you probably would be safer to assume you would get a litter and I believe it would be worth the try in that case.

Thanks everybody. I've heard some bad stories about shipping a bitch in pup. It stands confirmed, without a really strong case for doing a mating on this season, better to wait. There are lots of great dogs in the US. I have no doubt I can find a great stud dog. Australia hasn't established much of a reputation either way, and for Labbies, importing a dog is still viewed as an good way to improve the breed. No point to staying with the 'devil that I know.' Guess I'll have to do the hard yards researching the devils that I don't know.