Whats This On My Girls Snout

APBT

noticed it about 2 days ago, but it wasn't risen like it is now, getting bigger.

Don't know but I'd be having it checked out by a vet ASAP. Could be a abcess. Has she had a scrap with a dog at all?

If that's only 2 days old, its huge. :D

Edited by poodlefan

Worst case scenario is an aggressive sarcoma. I'd be going to the vet sooner rather than later if it is growing that quickly.

It could also just be a reaction to a bite or sting.

nah not from another dog, i think a bite maybe, if its worse tomorrow then il take her to the vet.

i noticed a little bald spot there a few days ago aswell, but only growen big in the last day.

My young Dobe had something similar to this a few years ago (see pics). I took her to the vets and they said it was a type of Staph infection - some antibiotics and cream did the trick.

My old Dobe bitch (diff to above) came up with something similar on her foot this week and, again, antibiotics and cream are clearing it up. I mentioned the one my other dog had on the nose a few years ago and the vet said that the nose area is a very common spot for them.

Hope this is the case with your dog and it is cleared up easily.

edit: both these lumps came up very quickly ie: 3-5 days.

post-1032-1271144747_thumb.jpg

post-1032-1271144856_thumb.jpg

Edited by caslero

looks very similar to what my she has, probly is the saem thing, would i be able to purchase the cream ect over the counter at the vet?

The Vet will probably want to see it and the creams I've had are used in conjunction with antibiotics (10 day course at present). Both are prescription only.

The cream I'm using at the moment for the one on my bitch's foot is Ilium Neocort..... can't remember the name of the cream I used a few years ago for the one on my girl's nose... I know it was a different cream though (different Vet too).

Edited by caslero

noticed it about 2 days ago, but it wasn't risen like it is now, getting bigger.

We've had that!!!! The Vet didn't know but it got worse Day by Day, she went on Anti-biotics and it took a long time to heal.

post-4036-1271146042_thumb.jpg

I have been reading up on Furunculosis of late and I remember one of the articles I was reading recommending that plastic bowls not be used due to them scratching up, becoming rough and harbouring bacteria, which in turn can cause skin infections. This wouldn't be news to many as this aspect of plastic food bowls has been written about on DOL several times over the years.

This is a long shot, but are any of the dogs who have had this 'condition' fed via plastic bowl? Funny how they've all occurred on the dogs' noses, almost in identical positions.

I'm not saying it is furunculosis either - I'm only just beginning to understand the condition myself. But those lumps could be what they refer to as 'cysts' although maybe not 'true' cysts. I'm only guessing and a Vet visit would have to be the way to go for a diagnosis.

This is a long shot, but are any of the dogs who have had this 'condition' fed via plastic bowl? Funny how they've all occurred on the dogs' noses, almost in identical positions.

Nope - only stainless steel bowls used here.

Nope - only stainless steel bowls used here.

Ok. Theory 'shot'.

Hope the OP (and everyone else) manages to sort it without too much trouble :thumbsup:

I wonder if it has been a ant, spider or non-venomous snake bite that has got infected???

My Dobe had similar from sticking his nose where it wasn't wanted and also from a snake bite.

I would be taking it to the vet though for a diagnosis.

I have been reading up on Furunculosis of late and I remember one of the articles I was reading recommending that plastic bowls not be used due to them scratching up, becoming rough and harbouring bacteria, which in turn can cause skin infections. This wouldn't be news to many as this aspect of plastic food bowls has been written about on DOL several times over the years.

I'm not saying it is furunculosis either - I'm only just beginning to understand the condition myself. But those lumps could be what they refer to as 'cysts' although maybe not 'true' cysts. I'm only guessing and a Vet visit would have to be the way to go for a diagnosis.

Nup, we only and have metal bowls, and the dog that got is is super healthy and never a problem. She still carrys the scarred skin from this condition years later.

We were more inclined to think it was a spider bite.

Edited by sas

APDT - I'm still thinking Furunculosis. Or Pemphigus Disorder. It might be neither, as there are so many things that can share symptoms that are alike. Have you had a Vet look at it?

Edited by Erny