I'm Worried About Older Dog Getting Jealous Of New Pup

Guest chillinamos

Guest choice_brandy

I am having a bit of a dilemma because I take my new pup out walking every evening (she's had her second vaccination but we still avoid high dog traffic areas) but I have to leave my housemates maltese yapyap at home. Anyway, he is giving me the major guilts, as soon as I pick up the lead he does helicopters around the house and bounces up to the door, then yelps when I leave without him. I have tried sneaking out but he tends to be a bit of a stalker.

I am trying to teach my dog how to walk on the lead and manners in general... so taking the other dog is not really an option. He knocks up quickly and is annoying to walk at the best of times, as he stops at every pole and lunges and barks at other people and dogs.

I feel even worse because before I got my own dog, I did spend more time with him and had him leading much better, even managed to teach him a few basic commands... but my housemate doesn't do anything with him and he's not really my problem.

My question is... do you think the yapyap dog going to start getting jealous of my pup and if so, does anyone have any advice to make the situation better. I can only offer advice to my housemate, and not much gets taken up. :laugh:

Guest choice_brandy
Why don't you take them both for a walk, separately? The Maltese obviously really like walks, even if you take him aorund the block before / after you have taken your pup :laugh:

Well in answer to that.. I did that tonight, but I finished work earlier than usual today so that wont always be possible.

I took him for the second trip so still had the guilts, I may try to take him first next time. I live on a rather steep street and not keen on doing the trip twice.

Guess I am half venting because I feel sorry for the dog, and he wouldn't be so bad if he were trained.. but as he is at the moment he's just a disobedient yapyep who terrorises everyone and growls if you tell him off for anything, and now I have something I would rather focus my attentions on but get the guilts for doing so :)

Would it be possible to go for a walk at the same time as your housemate and they can take thier dog? It dosen't seem fair of them to leave taking care of thier dog to you.

Why don't you take them both for a walk, separately? The Maltese obviously really like walks, even if you take him aorund the block before / after you have taken your pup :laugh:

Well in answer to that.. I did that tonight, but I finished work earlier than usual today so that wont always be possible.

I took him for the second trip so still had the guilts, I may try to take him first next time. I live on a rather steep street and not keen on doing the trip twice.

Guess I am half venting because I feel sorry for the dog, and he wouldn't be so bad if he were trained.. but as he is at the moment he's just a disobedient yapyep who terrorises everyone and growls if you tell him off for anything, and now I have something I would rather focus my attentions on but get the guilts for doing so :)

Guest choice_brandy
Would it be possible to go for a walk at the same time as your housemate and they can take thier dog? It dosen't seem fair of them to leave taking care of thier dog to you.

He works shift work... so not always, but even when he is home... he goes jogging and leaves the dog behind. Not really sure why he has the dog in all honesty, a cat would be a far more suitable pet for him.

choice_brandy

You could try taking the older dog (the one you don't own) out for a walk before you take your pup and then leaving him behind with perhaps a bone or food treat to keep him occupied.

You really need to get your pup walking nicely on a loose leash but then it would be great if you could take the two of them out - even if only sometimes.

This will mean having to do training with the older dog on walking nicely and then training the two of them to do it together. But believe me what you will learn in achieving this will set yourself, both dogs and future dogs up for success.

What are you walking the older dog on? A flat collar, harness or head collar or something else? Perhaps a change of equipment, suitably fitted, introduced and used might help.

Also check out the great dog training videos and info available on the www.dogstardaily.com website. They have started short 10 minute shows from different American trainers each week. There's some info on

http://www.dogstardaily.com/videos/tv/part...vid-dog-trainer and the part 1 video that might be useful.

Guest choice_brandy

Thanks for your advice.. I am watching some of those videos now :laugh:

Do you know how to train a housemate to take some responsibility... lol

Thanks for your advice.. I am watching some of those videos now :(

Do you know how to train a house mate to take some responsibility... lol

Very simple tell house mate that this is a dual dog household now & he needs to step up to the plate.

You have enabled his laziness so now its time for reality.

The dog shouldnt suffer but he is the dogs owner & need sto pull his finger out.

Maybe go walkies when he is sleeping so Yap Yap Yaps :(

Guest choice_brandy

UPDATE:

[RANT]I want to shoot the little basket now.

Got home from work late but decided to try taking yapyap out first... thought I would run and wear him out. All good with no dramas... except I was pretty knocked up myself when we got home. Took him inside and put the harness on my pup. As I was leaving (it was almost dark so I was in a bit of a hurry) Yapyap took off through the front door and refused to come back inside. He flat ignores any commands if he really wants to do something. My pup sat on the lawn with her head cocked to the side observing the little ship dive under parked cars to avoid me catching him and bringing him back.

20 minutes later and pitch dark... I finally got my hand on him. Carried him to the door and tried to shove him inside. As I did so he bit me. He has growled in the past when you tell him what to do if he doesn't think it suits him ie get off the lounge is always greeted with a growl... but this time he really bit me.

Anyway, I put him in the garage where he remains at the moment...(he barked the whole time I was out walking my own dog according to the neighbours) I can't look at him without getting angry and I know that's not going to help the situation so he remains until I cool off. I am more angry at his owner whose solution to my problem is not take my dog out ?????

I asked him if he'd consider bringing Koopa (he does actually have a name) to obedience with Chilli once she has finished her vaccinations. He was very non committal, saying he tried that but the dog doesn't listen. Ugh... so frustrating! [\RANT]