Should I Get A Second Dog?

Teal

Hi,

well I have a gorgeous 10 month old male boxer. We have always said we would get another one day, and now have a lovely female boxer puppy available to us in a couple of

weeks.

I really want to do what is best for my boy as he is very much a part of my family, very loved and and a bit spoilt! And also do the right thing by this potential new girl, however I

am just not sure what that is...

My boy is very very social, playful and just loves playing with other dogs, so I have no doubt that a playmate for him would make him happy.

However I am worried that adding another dog will cause them to bond more strongly with one another than with me.

Also I am concerned that I won't be able to give two dogs enough attention, as the time I have will be cut in half...

My situation is this: I work fulltime, sometimes from home so I am around however I am strictly working in this time and really can't play with the dog, much to his disappointment! I also have a horse which occupies a fair bit of my time. Previously my partner started work early and finished early, so between us we had plenty of time for the dog. Some days my dog stays home alone, other days he goes to my sister in laws house to play with her dogs as she is a stay at home mum. My partner has recently started working FIFO, and he is not sure how long he will be doing this for, it could just be a couple of months it could be longer. He does two on one off, so in the times he is away my dog seems to be alone a little bit more. My partner has always wanted another dog, and he thinks it would be great for our boy as he is so playful and socail, plus he would not be bored and alone when I have to go out, which is definitely true...I am not sure if I can offer twice the attention and time I currently give my boy, and I am not sure if this is a good idea or not!!

Please advise...I would love another puppy, love my current dog to be as happy as possible but I don't want to make the wrong decision...

Hi

Adding another dog doesnt always mean twice the time and work , sometimes it is less , if your current boy loves company then it may be a good move , but I would have to say for the sake of any future puppies if you have any doubts then dont other puppies will come up should you change your mind later and feel that it is a better time with more time to dedicate to them

Also remember that a young puppy needs time away from older playmates to rest I dont know how full on your boxer is but if he is all day on the go in doggy company it would be too much for a new baby

We got our girl when our boy was just under a year old. They get along great and have done right from day one. They totally adore each other. But.......my girl would walk over hot coals to be by my side. She would do ANYTHING to please me, she lies next to me each evening, she sleeps near my feet, in the mornings she snuggles with me in bed, she's always ready to go for a ride in the car with me and no matter how much she loves her doggy brother, she'll ditch him in a heartbeat to be with me.

And our boy is the same with my husband. He won't come to bed until my husband does, then he sleeps on the floor by his side of the bed. He follows him all around the place and he simply adores him. This is despite the fact that my husband never feeds him, grooms him, trains him, walks him. I do all the doggy maintenance but each dog has decided for themselves who is their important person.

And it's lovely.

Hi,

well I have a gorgeous 10 month old male boxer. We have always said we would get another one day, and now have a lovely female boxer puppy available to us in a couple of

weeks.

I really want to do what is best for my boy as he is very much a part of my family, very loved and and a bit spoilt! And also do the right thing by this potential new girl, however I

am just not sure what that is...

My boy is very very social, playful and just loves playing with other dogs, so I have no doubt that a playmate for him would make him happy.

However I am worried that adding another dog will cause them to bond more strongly with one another than with me.

Also I am concerned that I won't be able to give two dogs enough attention, as the time I have will be cut in half...

My situation is this: I work fulltime, sometimes from home so I am around however I am strictly working in this time and really can't play with the dog, much to his disappointment! I also have a horse which occupies a fair bit of my time. Previously my partner started work early and finished early, so between us we had plenty of time for the dog. Some days my dog stays home alone, other days he goes to my sister in laws house to play with her dogs as she is a stay at home mum. My partner has recently started working FIFO, and he is not sure how long he will be doing this for, it could just be a couple of months it could be longer. He does two on one off, so in the times he is away my dog seems to be alone a little bit more. My partner has always wanted another dog, and he thinks it would be great for our boy as he is so playful and socail, plus he would not be bored and alone when I have to go out, which is definitely true...I am not sure if I can offer twice the attention and time I currently give my boy, and I am not sure if this is a good idea or not!!

Please advise...I would love another puppy, love my current dog to be as happy as possible but I don't want to make the wrong decision...

Hi there, I too worried that when I got my second dog that I would not have the time to spend with 2 of them. How wrong I was ! It's been totally delightful and as a matter of fact a shelter dog in my favoured breed came up recently and I now have 3 ! It's so lovely to watch them interact and play, they all vie for my attention which is so sweet and they amuse each other for hours on end. I highly recommend having more then one and hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.

Hi there, I too worried that when I got my second dog that I would not have the time to spend with 2 of them. How wrong I was ! It's been totally delightful and as a matter of fact a shelter dog in my favoured breed came up recently and I now have 3 ! It's so lovely to watch them interact and play, they all vie for my attention which is so sweet and they amuse each other for hours on end. I highly recommend having more then one and hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.

DD, you've spelled out the reason why we've always had 2 dogs. They are so supportive of each other....& it's easier when they're left home alone.

We have an only dog of the same breed next door. She joins in, coming over to play once a day, & waiting at the fenceline each morning for nose-rubbing & tail-wagging to start the day.

But, Teal, you've set out a lot of reasons why you hesitate to rush in & get a 2nd dog. All valid!

So I can only say good on you for thinking it thro' so carefully & best wishes with making a decision.

Edited by mita

If your first dog is well behaved and trained, and you are comfortable with another dog, I'd say "yes". If your current dog has bad habits, he will teach them to the new dog.

Two are 1 1/2 more work than one. They will bond to each other,but they will bond to you as well, and with 2 people in the household, each dog should get enough attention. They will play and enjoy each other, but love their people time too. Mine love playing with each other, but love it more when I play with them. Be aware that you may need to take one away by him/herself to effectively train, as the other dog will want to butt in.

If you are working long hours, the dogs will have each other for company when you are not there.

However, be aware that 2 boxers home alone can create a fair bit of havoc if they are bored - nothing like a bit of chewing and digging, and with a friend to incite to greater efforts - oh dear. Although, my experience is that boxers are not particularly destructive when they are growing. They seem to have a fair sense of right and wrong, and do try to be good.

post-438-1271501170_thumb.jpg

when in doubt.. just wait.

My thoughts exactly.-----"when in doubt, chuck the idea out" Only do it if you are 100% certain and you don't need anyones input to know that.

Guest belgian.blue

I have a nearly two year old Belgian Shepherd [bitch] and she adores me like I have never experienced in a canine before, her training is coming along extremely well.

I have always wanted two dogs of my own but told myself to make certian I had Ivy trained well enough BEFORE even thinking about looking in to breeders. Now I feel very comfortable adding a puppy to the family as I feel Ivy will make a fantastic role model.

Her voice listening skills are amazing!

She loves other dogs but her love for me is a lot stronger.