Will Desexing Stop Males From Fighting?

MissMolly

Thanks everyone for your replies I do apprecitate it..

When we moved in her with my sisters family I was very aware of keeping an eye on all the dogs and did my best to make sure the boys were not put out in any way (there is also a desexed female who lives in the backyard). For just over two and a half weeks we have had no issues with the boys or girls. I would pop my girls in their crate a few times a day and also take them to the dog park twice a day, giving the boys their space and allowing the girls to have some time on their own.

During this time i did notice the boys would growl at each other every now and again and my sister said that is what they normally do. Also one night when my niece went to pup the matlese x to bed and he didn't want to go her growled at her and when she tried to pick him up he went to bite her.. He also tried to bite me once when I went to stop him from eating the cats food.

I did say to my sister and niece that he (the matlese x) has issues that they would have to address..

I have also told my sister that I would not be getting the 13 year old desexed as I think he is too old.

Edited by MissMolly

I wouldnt be desexing a 13 yr old at his age now unless for medical reasons.

Im surprised that a vet agreed to do it for behavioural reasons.

Desexing a 13yo dog will not achieve anything

but cease its ability to reproduce (if that was still functional).

I guess many vets do things these days that you wonder about.

On a 13yo dog, yeah that would be so.

Just wanted to update,

On Tuesday my other girl left to go and stay with a friend as she also came into season and I must say since she has left the older dog (13) has stopped whimpering he was doing it all the time as he wanted to get to my girl but couldn't..

Driving himself and us nuts, the house is quiet now, well as quiet as it can be with 4 adults and 5 children in it..

The young one is at the vets today being desexed and the vet is also giving him an hormone injection. The older boy is also having the hormone injection and it will last around 5 months. I don't know the full details as my sister spoke to the vet.

I have not had to wash the place down and the difference in the boys in amazing..

I think Lily must smell particularly good cause the boy nextdoor has been whinging at the fence and I've never known him to do that before!

Oh no.. Let me know if it becomes too much.. How are my girls??

They are being good. He's stopped whinging now ;)

I wouldnt be desexing a 13 yr old at his age now unless for medical reasons.

Im surprised that a vet agreed to do it for behavioural reasons.

Desexing a 13yo dog will not achieve anything

but cease its ability to reproduce (if that was still functional).

I guess many vets do things these days that you wonder about.

As you say "for medical reasons" my Lhasa Apso was desexed at 13 because of an anal adoenoma (sp?) he lived to 17.

I guess the risks have to be weighed up against the reasons.