Raw Feeders

rocco

I give my dogs mostly raw chicken frames and wings (large ones). I also like wallaby/kangaroo tails for them and lambs necks. SInce I have neighbours who are licensed roo shooters I also end up occassionally with roo feet - a bit revolting to me but great for the dogs and they spend hours chewing on them *shudder*

A caution about giving dogs marrow/femur bones. Despite their portrayal as the traditional bone for dogs, I understand that these bones are not edible and are very very hard. Because of this they will wear down your dogs teeth if given too often. In some cases they have also been known to crack dogs teeth. The marrow is good for them but the bone itself is not much use as nutrition because it's not digestible - apart from the gristly bits on the end. Also thinner femur bones can splinter and since they are not digestible can present a hazard if swallowed.

If you do give them marrow bones make sure you don't leave it with them for too long and definitely don't let the bone sit around in the yard getting drier and harder.

ETA What a great pic of your gorgeous dog!!! :laugh:

Edited by spottychick

Here you go :laugh: .... Red shouting feed me. :laugh:

Perfect :laugh:

I bought 3 cards form Madeit of yours. I am going to frame them and put them up in the salon ;)

:laugh: Thank you that is so cool. :eek: Sis told me you had bought some.... coffee table book is in progress too. :laugh:

A chicken neck is the last thing I'd give him - the absolute perfect size to go straight down the "wrong pipe" - terrible things for any dog big enough to swallow on whole :thumbsup:

You're right. I was imagining them frozen together, the way my dog gets them :laugh:

I have newfs and a wannabe newf.....We feed large bones, raw.....No way they can swallow them whole, but eventually they chew them to zero. We get vertebrae, long bones, pelvis, brisket and flaps from beef or lamb. We also do whole fish. I suppose if you start with bigger bones, he gets used to chomping. I always get rid of old bones after a few days, because they dry out and become like cooked bones. Our dogs get daily bones, so they are not exited about them and just expect them. my dogs seem to be slow at chomping bones. i am not sure if that is because they have been getting bones since little pups. Our newfie breeder starts them at 4 weeks with beef brisket bones.

Now my vet tells me that all my dogs have the most beautiful healthy teeth.....Clean and no cleaning by me. Our working kelpies even had all good teeth at 14 and 15

Edited by newfsie

I feed Rambo chicken necks (cut into small pieces) and minced chicken frames as he doesn't chew his bones, I found that when I was giving him chicken wings and whole chicken necks, he was swallowing them whole. So for that reason I don't give him any bones as I'm too scared that he might break off a piece and swallow and choke. I give him a variety of toys that are made for chewing and also cleaning teeth, so I think he's getting all the chewing that he needs from them.