24-70 Lens

SchnauzerBoy

Just wondering if any DOLers out there have any experience in the Sigma 24-75 f2.8 EX DG HSM and the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 lenses?

As I'm going to move to the D700 shortly the Sigma 18-50 is going to be replaced with FX glass and I am torn between these 2...

All reports show both are good, but need experienced users with the HSM version of the Sigma.

Anyone out there who can help?

Thanks

SB

I own the 24-70 nikkor and the D700. What do you want to know exactly about the lens?

This is my fav lens and its pretty much on my camera 98% of the time. It's a gorgeous versatile lens. Sharp, fast.... a top lens. But I have no idea about Sigma and if it's equally as good for half the price then look in to that. I love Nikon, but they really crank pricing to other competitors.

Yeah the Nikkor is an amazing piece of glass and it is something I am looking at.

The revies show the Sigma HSM version as being "as good" but my concern is with the HSM and low light hunting, and there isnt much real-world reviews that I can find.

I'd go with either lens as the $$ are there, but I'd prefer so save 50% of the cost and go with the Sigma if I know it'll handle the low light seeing as I am going for the D700 to get the higher ISO capabilities.

I had a test run of the sigma lens (for canon though). It was a great lens and very much on par with the genuine Canon lens... until we hit low light. :thumbsup:

We ended up with genuine canon.

I've heard the same thing - I have been eyeing off the 24-70 and the 70-200 2.8 and the reviews have pretty much all said the same thing.

I have had a play with the 24-70 canon at work and I love it but haven't touched the sigma version yet.

Looks like it's worth the extra money for the canon.

I hired out the Canon 24-70mm 2.8 and I LOVED IT!! Now I just need to save my pennies and buy it!

How much did it cost you to hire out a lens?

I paid $100 for a weekend but as I hired it over Easter I picked it up Thursday and dropped it back Tuesday, at the same rate!! Was a bargain but wish I had more time to play with it.

I hired it from photographic wholesalers on hutt st. I had to also put down a $750 deposit which they refunded when I bought it back.

It is a heavy lens, but besides that I couldn't fault it.

And I am curious where you guys hire them from? Do any of the camera chains do it?

Are you in Sydney Altheau? Google "lens hire sydney" - there are a few people who do it that you can go into the store to pick it up.

If you're not, rentalens.com.au ship the lens to you anywhere in Australia.

I had a test run of the sigma lens (for canon though). It was a great lens and very much on par with the genuine Canon lens... until we hit low light. :provoke:

We ended up with genuine canon.

I went to Diamonds yesterday and had a play with the non-HSM and the Nikon and they were pretty similar, so can imagine the HSM version being as good, but it is the low light that worries me.

Ashanali, what were the scenarios where it struggled? I'll be using it for weddings, portraits and when at events so lighting would exist but would be low, but not non-existent.

If it hunts in the low light that you found, did it ever lock on to its target properly or did it continue to hunt? How long did it hunt for if it eventually locked focus?

Thanks for your help so far :laugh:

Andrew

I wish sometimes I was in Sydney. I am in canberra, I had a bit of a look after I posted but I could not find anyone local to here. I did come across that website, have you ever used them?

Unfortunately no - I'm lucky, my work owns all the lenses I'm eyeing off at the moment so I've been able to have a play with them.