Helping The Little Ones

becks

Having just had the first born weigh in at 62grams and the next one at 180grams to give you a comparison to normal birth weights.

What do you do to help the small born pups survive in the first week or so? Do you just make sure they get their turn at the milk bar or offer other help?

If they're strong enough and have a good suck reflex then I'd be plugging them in every couple of hours and fending off the others to be sure they have a good full tummy. If they even LOOK like flagging or don't start putting on weight after the first day then if they are still looking strong and wanting to feed and doing everything else normally, I'd move into intensive care and start tubing every few hours.

Once they start to go backwards, blood sugar levels drop, energy drops, they start to chill and they use up too much energy trying to feed and keep warm and that's when they are in big danger.

Yes, I agree with Ellz. Also depends a bit on how many pups i.e. are there enough nipples to go around. I also make sure the smallest gets the first milk from the best boob otherwise they can be getting the dregs after 'big brute' has sucked it nearly dry.

That's what I normally do, Ellz. Just debating whether to be a little more 'proactive' this time as she is so tiny, and go and stock up on some nutrigel from the vets and start her on it today to make sure if possible she doesn't get to the flagging, chilled and low blood sugar stage.

That's what I normally do, Ellz. Just debating whether to be a little more 'proactive' this time as she is so tiny, and go and stock up on some nutrigel from the vets and start her on it today to make sure if possible she doesn't get to the flagging, chilled and low blood sugar stage.

Are all her reflexes normal and everything as it should be apart from her size/weight? That's what I let guide me. I'm over doing the heroic bit unless they're capable of fighting along with me...as hard as it sounds. Mother Nature usually wins if there is even the slightest reason for the difference in size.

If she is essentially normal, can latch on by herself, isn't obviously ill or weak etc then start tubing her now.

She is a bit thin but otherwise fine at this stage.

Vets don't tube feed and won't supply what would be needed or show me how to do it, and I am loathe to try something like that without knowing how not to get it in the lungs by accident.

She is a bit thin but otherwise fine at this stage.

Vets don't tube feed and won't supply what would be needed or show me how to do it, and I am loathe to try something like that without knowing how not to get it in the lungs by accident.

It's really not difficult. I taught myself. It is harder to get milk into the lungs than you would think if you are methodical about it. It is actually safer to tube feed than to bottle or drip feed.

I have a good link somewhere for tube feeding. I'll see if I can find it.

If bubs sucking reflex is weak ,then put her on mum every 2hrs without compotition from rest of the litter <also support under chin as she suckles <make sure she dosnt chill ot tire from trying to hard >

I swear by nutra drops, rather than nutra gel <(if u can get it in the uk im not sure )