Dog Ate Own Poo!

Hi All,

I just caught my 8 month old puppy Chilli, eating her own fresh poo, ewwww!!

So I've done a quick search and it seems it could be bahavioural, maybe from stress (she was a pound puppy) she might just like it, or a learned beaviour etc etc

The other reasons can be different worms or parasites or lacking a viatmin, this is where I want the help - is there a known vitamin/supplement/dietary change worth trying? She is wormed like clock work so don't think it's that.

Any insight appreciated, in the meantime I"ll be picking poop's up as soon as I see them, yuck!

Thanks

Yep - dogs eat poo - even their own! :)

Don't panic that there's anything wrong - it's quite normal - just happens. :love:

Pick up the poo regularly, you can add some tinned pineapple to food as this tends to make the poo taste less appealing....and NO KISSES! :eek:

There are so many reasons why the could do it but one of the main things is don't make a big deal about it otherwise it can become a game to them.

Some canine mineral & vitamin tablets could be worth a go as well.

My boy eats my girls poo, we have her toilet out the front of the house and him out the back as he's allergic to the meat she eats which she also of course poos out.

Its quite normal for a dog to eat poo. My gf's Toy poodle eats his own poo because he eats too fast and some of the food is not properly digested. Dog's sense of smell is good so they could sniff the food out of the poo. This might be a reason if your dog eats too fast.

Its quite normal for a dog to eat poo. My gf's Toy poodle eats his own poo because he eats too fast and some of the food is not properly digested. Dog's sense of smell is good so they could sniff the food out of the poo. This might be a reason if your dog eats too fast.

Not good though! You can put Paw Paw or pineapple pieces into his food, apparently once it has gone through the digestion process it tastes absolutely foul, they won't want to eat it! :)

There are various reasons for Coprophagia, especially in those cases where dogs are eating their own.

If you visit my website, scroll over the "Home" tab, click on "Hot Tips & Info" tab that appears in the drop-down box and then click on the picture link that appears it will take you to my blogspot where I've written up a small piece on Coprophagia (amongst other things) that you might be interested in. You can access my website by clicking my signature link. If you have trouble finding the article (it is there) let me know - I'm still trying to sort out how best to set out the different information topics and am still building it.

Edited by Erny

When my friend had this problem (her dog - not her :laugh: ) I was advised to tell her to put something foul tasting on the... turds... and then once eaten they will start to associate the... turds... with a foul taste and break the habit?

Might be worth a try.

BTW - congrats on your new dog - I didn't know you'd gotten one! Is there pics somewhere? I hope Chilli is helping to mend your broken heart :laugh:

Not good though! You can put Paw Paw or pineapple pieces into his food, apparently once it has gone through the digestion process it tastes absolutely foul, they won't want to eat it! :)

Why not good? Because you don't like the idea you mean?

It's perfectly natural for a Canine.

Why not good? Because you don't like the idea you mean?

It's perfectly natural for a Canine.

Yes, perfectly natural for a canine, I am not arguing that point, but can be very embarassing for the dogs owner!