How Relaible Are Tick Collars?

4 Paws

I used to use Advantix on my dogs for tick prevention but owning 2 large dogs and a small one it works out quite expensive applying every 2 week so for the last 12 months or so I have been using Preventic collars.Now I have never had any ticks in the last 3 years we have lived here in Wollongong but at the end of next month we are moving and while it's only actually 4 minutes up the road it's to a very bushy area(Mt Kembla)and a friend told me that ticks are bad up there.She does not live there so not sure where her info comes from(she lives 20 mins away)

Has anyone had unsuccessful use of tick collars?I know that all preventatives are not 100% successful but don't want to risk my dogs

Any other alternative suggestions that are easy on the wallet?

We have found that in certain areas the collars work pretty well, Preventic collars work well where I am but in surrounding areas Killtix work better. In bad seasons a rinse every 3 days with Fidos Rinse concentrate has been needed.

If it a paralysis tick area you are moving to then nothing beats daily checks as well.

My friend lives in W'Gong and walks her dogs daily at the beach.....one of her dogs actually got a paralysis tick and did get sick but not paralysed - vomiting etc. He had Advantix applied and the tick was dead when they found it. :love:

So, there are para ticks at W'Gong but I would imagine they are just not as prolific as other areas.

If you are moving somewhere more "bushy" I would suggest the ticks would be worse there - not better. :eek:

I live in a HIGH para tick area. What you have to remember is that even in areas such as mine, there are "low season" times during the year (particularly when it's colder) and "high season" (summer and following rain) for tick explosion. You could talk to your vet about the mostly likely few months of the year for ticks in your area - use the fortnightly Advantix during those periods and then use tick collars the rest of the time. :)

Should be better on your wallet. :eek:

Because you will be closer to the bush there will be more ticks. Their natural host is the bandicoot but they are also found on echidnas, possums and wallabies which, of course, you will be a lot closer to.

They are more prevalent after rain as they thrive in the humid conditions.

A friend of mine used the tick prevention collar with good results but also did the daily checking.

I have used tick collars ... and still found ticks on the dog - even under the tick collar. I was replacing the collars every month and I was just not confident that they were working sufficiently. I have used both preventic and killtic.

I now use Phermoxin (sp?) and spray the dogs before they go to a tick area or if they have been in a tick area (daily if necessary). We also hydrobath with Fido's but this only gives 3 days of protection.