Two Bitches Together?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For many years we had 3 bitches together Dobermann, Collie Rough, Old English Sheep Dog and the OESD was the boss and some times was very nasty. :laugh: She would show her teeth and just attack at any time, so I had to watch her all the time and it was no fun. As the saying goes bitches are bitches and that is very true, you have to be on your toes all the time.

Now with GSD's if you have a dog, you must get a bitch. This is for a very good reason because dogs don't like dogs and bitches don't like other bitches. If you have two bitches they will fight all the time or worse and you'll have to get rid of one, same for dogs. Some don't like either. :eek:

I had a GSD bitch (still do) and wanted another one, as we had always had bitches but I was told by the GSDL you must get a dog for the reasons above which turned out to be correct as I saw at GSD training how both sexes behaved. :D

I also have a Rottie bitch who is very gentle and gets on well with my GSD boy, but my GSD girl is the boss and will sometimes stand over her. When I see this I push her away so she knows I'm the boss :laugh: and it works very well.

I could pat and hug my GSD boy all day and both bitches couldn't care less,and that's the difference. :thumbsup:

I didn't intend on getting a second female dog and I did go to the pound to look at a male dog, but ended up choosing another female, Tilly, because of her lovely nature.

In the early days there were a few issues, but when the pack order was sorted then Tilly settled down a lot. They do get a bit jealous of each other sometimes, but it doesn't result in fights, it is more about them both wanting to be patted, etc.

Outside of home they play together at the park, but at home they are a bit more competitive...eg. I could throw a ball at the park with no issues, but I don't do that at home because in the early days it did result in a couple of fights (with Tilly starting it - Jessie is not a fighter at all).

Tilly is also protective of me, so she gets a bit huffy if Jessie (who is quite a moody and vocal dog) grumbles at me, but Tilly will snap out of this when I tell her "hey".

I also think temperament has a lot to do with it...just because a you have a female and male together, it doesn't mean they are going to get along. I know a male Kelpie dog and he can't stand Jessie, but he absolutely loves Tilly.