Two Bitches Together?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 bitches, 2 entire and 1 undesexed, here and no agression between them, all run together. I don't know about GSDs though, maybe it's a particular problem for them as the breeder mentioned it.

I think it's a breed-by-breed, individual dog type thing.

I cannot run another bitch of ANY breed with my Stafford bitch and she is even starting to get narky with her 5 month old daughter now so separation there is becoming imminent.

Yet I've had other bitches who have been just fine with same-sex "friendships".

You're not really going to know until you try it IMO. BUT you must also have a contingency plan worked out for a resolution if you do try it and it goes pearshaped.

I have 6 dogs atm but my biggest concern is my two entire bullmastiff girls. They are sisters and while they absolutely love eachother, they have had a few minor tiffs when younger and I am always conscious of the fact their friendship may not last. They are penned separately when Im not home or during the night even though they sleep together on their bed during the day or inside in the evenings, they clean each other and sleep curled up together. I feel it has worked so far because one is a very dominant bitch the other very submissive, however they are both due to have puppies a week apart and I am dreading that it might just upset their relationship. Hopefully not but Im prepared for it.

I have had many dogs over the years (usually 3 or 4 at a time) and both sexes. I have never had a fight between males but have had lots of fights with the bitches some ready to kill. It doesn't seem to make any difference if they are entire or desexed had seasons or not.

I had two Dobe bitches, one entire one desexed, 8 years apart in age.

They were okay until the young bitch was around 18 months, had a major barney (they were seperated when I wasn't there) and could never be together after that unless walked on leads or basket muzzles in the car. The would growl at each other if their feet touched, or walked into their dog run doors- to the house - at the same time.

I think it is a breed by breed and each individual sitiuation thing.

I would never have two male Dobes together either!!

I have a bitch and a dog Whippet and they seem to be fine, but if the second one had of been a bitch I am quite sure that would have worked as well.

It really does depend on the animals involved.

We had a desexed male GSD and added a female Border Collie X Heeler puppy to the equation without any problems.

However when we added a GSD male puppy to the mix when she was 10 and the older GSD was 14 she was actually quite aggressive to the puppy and he couldn't be left unsupervised with her. The old male GSD looked out for him and protected him from her and it was only when he passed away when the puppy was 7 months old that she warmed to the youngster, I think they became united in their (and our) sorrow.

We knew we couldn't get the Cavalier bitch my youngest daughter badly wanted UNTIL the Border X Heeler bitch had passed away at age 12. We now have two entire Cavalier bitches that get on brilliantly, but from my experience most Cavs seem to get on very well with other dogs often making a deadly mistake of thinking ALL other dogs are friendly.

The younger GSD, who is now 4 1/2 gets on very well with the"girls", he is desexed but I also don't leave them unsupervised as I don't fully trust him as he has been aggressive on occassion to visitors dogs and was downright ferocious to an intruder dog on our property.

We have 4 females and 1 male without any problems, we have had a multiple dog home for the last 15 years. In my experience it has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with temperament. The worst and only serious fight we have ever had was between my male mini poodle and our female american bulldog, she would have killed him if I hadn't been there. She was rehoused to a home with another large male dog and they became best friends.

I housed one of my rescue dogs (a male poodle x) to a couple with a male pom, they had been turned away from other rescues and shelters because they were told two boys couldn't live together. It's been 12 - 24 months and both boys love each other. It is the best home they are taken everywhere and are exceptionally well cared for. I see them evey couple of months for grooming.

If you want two girls go for it just make sure you put in the training.

if i had a sole dog...id go for a bitch ...probably....cos now we are surrounded by boys and the devotion is incredible but again it depends on the breed doesnt it

two bitches

id say no

weve had three dogs here one time...two bitches and a boy

the first bitch was much older...some ten years

she was a sweet tolerant matriarch

the boy bowed to her and the younger girl supported her

til the old bitch really started getting on years and then the boy would start taking her on over food

and the younger bitch would take cheap shots at her too

the dynamics really changed over the years

if i had only two dogs...id get a boy...first and add a girl later

in your case..id still get a boy

and dont let anyone tell you that they wont fight and that the boy will just not retaliate

males and females do fight

even desexed ones

so it really is luck....selecting the right combo ...but i just think there will be fewer problems with opposite genders

Multiple dog household for 20 years. Sex makes no difference, depends on the dog. Some entire, some desexed.

Only 1 problem with an entire male. Became top dog & got too bossy apart from that mine have all mixed fine regardless of sex or age.

Two bitchs might work but they are really nasty when it does go wrong. If they fight there is generally an issue for life whereas 2 males can have a tiff and minutes later all is well. A desexed dog is not that different to a bitch and far safer

I have had four bitches live happily together, one was the Queen and the other three are submissive.

The Queen has now gone to the bridge and the pack structure has remained the same, they are all sweet and non threatening, I guess it really depends on the breed and nature of the bitches in question, and perhaps also the leadership and training??.

If your dog is a sweet submissive girl I wouldn't imagine any problems, if she is a bossy bitch then I would agree with the breeder and get a Dog.

Maybe take your girl to meet the GSD breeder??? :thumbsup:

I have two undesexed bitches. They get on well and are the best of friends 99% of the time - however, one can be a real bitch at times, which is when I step in. The other is very laid back and doesn't fuss over anything (she was the first in the household). The breeder of the second believes it works because the first dog is so laid back.

Edited by dougal

I have a 2.5yr old Female desexed German shepherd and she gets along beautifully with my sisters young Female Desexed Samoyed who is currently living with us at the moment but with her 4yr old Female Desexed Keeshond there are massive issues and fighting.

I've got no problem here with any of mine.

I've got a malt cross 3 year old desexed dog, entire 2 year old Pointer bitch and a 3 and a half year old entire Pointer bitch...

We had the malt cross first, then the 2 year old, and then the 3 and a half year old, and all get along great.

I had 2 ridgeback bitches ( who were desexed at 6 months) they had 4 major fights, the last one, one had her jugular vein nicked and almost died, they were best of friends most days but when they decided to fight it was to the death and they always had to be seperated, usually by pouring water over their heads continually so that they had to move away to breathe. Because of this I would say no to 2 bitches together but then again I do know people who have had bitches together with no hassles at all.

I've got six bitches living in my house, one desexed old girl, three mature brood bitches, and two pups. Labbies. They have never had a fight. They curl up together when it's cold. They steal one another's bones . . . I'm never sure who is dominant.

It can work, but you need to have a good think about what you're going to do if it doesn't. Bitches can be friends for years and all of a sudden have a tiff and from that point on, not be able to stand the sight of each other. I've got 2 GSD bitches who hate each other with a passion, and we've had 2 very serious fights - I am forever double checking doors etc now so its a constant stress. One of these bitches is fine with my other GSD girls, plays and runs with no problems but I never leave them together unsupervised or drop my guard.

Will you be ok with building a run to keep them separate, or rehoming one if that doesn't work? A male would be easier in many repects. Male GSDs a bit sooky smooches many times :cry:

You beat me to that comment Ish :champagne: Although there are many wonderful GSD females, being female doesn't guarentee a nicer natured pet with this breed by any means. I have always found on average that male GSD's are more affectionate and more consistant in temperament than females and fit in better with multi dog homes. The only advantage with female GSD's is that they are usually smaller and a bit easier to handle physically than big strong male. Several GSD breeders have told me NEVER to have two bitches or a dominant bitch and dominant male GSD together as the bitch will fight and recommend in GSD's having two males as a better preference???.

Personally, I prefer male GSD's and especially like their consistant predictability in the temperament. Mine are definitely big sooky smoochers and love affection and cuddles. :thumbsup:

Thank you Mita. Perhaps it is different if they are undesexed? I think the breeder was referring to two entire bitches but I would have thought if they were both desexed and introduced as young as our two are - then it should be fine???

I don't believe desexing makes a difference with bitches, it's more with the boys.

Desexing doesn't make much difference if at all with GSD males except in the presence of a bitch in season. Some male GSD's desexed too early can develop fear aggression from under developed hormone structure along with growth and skeletel malformations. I wouldn't desex a male GSD under 18 months old.