What Dood Is Best For My Labrador

I plan to breed so i want the best diet for her

My black Labrador is now 17months old .So far i have been feeding her supermarket food which includes 4 legs,Pedigree,Clunkers,I think she is 2 kg over weight

I want to give her the best dry and wet food possible as i plan to breed one day

What can you suggust?

Diane

My black Labrador is now 17months old .So far i have been feeding her supermarket food which includes 4 legs,Pedigree,Clunkers,I think she is 2 kg over weight

I want to give her the best dry and wet food possible as i plan to breed one day

What can you suggust?

Diane

It's always a good idea to feed her what her Breeder feeds as the Breeder understands their lines etc. granted you got her from a Registered Breeder.

As you would know you don't want to have a Labrador overweight at all. Pedigree and Chunkers are junkfood, 4 legs isn't much better even thought hey try and promote it as healthy.

Head to the Labrador thread on this forum and get advice from those in the know on your choosen breed.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...30&st=19095

You may not be able to breed her, it will depend on if her conformation is good enough and the results of her health testing for Labrador related health issues.

Good Luck.

Edited by sas

You could try a quality dry such as Royal Canin, Eagle Pack or Artemis. The raw food could include chicken wings, necks, carcass, lamb necks, flaps ( but they are fatty ), rabbit, whole oily fish such as mackeral, roo tail.

Reduce the amount that is being fed, cut the treats to a minimum and increase the amount of exercise she does.

What can you suggust?

Diane

what does she weigh ?

you got a heap of info about brands of food and what to feed. Your breeder should also be helping you.

I'll repost here for you

You are feeding your dog a lot of carbs, cheap mostly undigestible protein and little good nutrition.

Step away from the supermarket and especially cans most of that stuff is horse food sprayed with fat. I have found that dogs on the cheaper brands tend to gain weight (even on the light stuff) as its just highly refined junk food for dogs.

At your dogs age go for a good adult premium kibble (Eagle Pack, Royal Canin, Nutrience, Nutro, Artemis etc) A breeding bitch needs to be in peak physical health in order to breed, you get from your pups what you put in. Start feeding your dog some raw food as well, chicken carcasses, maryland, lamb flaps (with the fatty bits cut off) to keep her teeth and system glowing. My entire bitch has just turned 6 in January, has gleaming white teeth, well muscled, and a shiny soft coat. Breeding, nutrition and proper management cost money, usually quite a bit. If you cannot afford to feed a bitch properly now how much do you think a big litter of pups will cost you those things eat like there is no tomorrow!

A totally raw diet like Ian Billinghursts BARF diet is another way to go, but if you are not confident in the nutrition side then a good premium dry is the way to go. Remember look at the protein content on the packet, look at the ingredients. Is it mainly wheat, grains and fillers? Is the protein actualy good quality meat or just whatever junk comes out of the abbetoir scraps bin? Meat by products on labels is NOT meat. It is heads, feet, guts, feathers etc. How digestible is that for your dog? Canned food is sometimes only 5% protein, add up how much water in a can you have been paying for in the last 12 months A great dry bulked out with raw is actually more cost effective and better for your dog in the long run.