Yet Another What Breed Thread...

Shetland Sheepdogs

Miniature Poodles

Miniature Schnauzer

Papillons

Aussie Terriers

Corgi's Pembroke (the OH doesn't like them much though, he thinks they look silly so he would take a lot of convincing)

Jack Russells

Cocker Spaniels

Keeshond

Thanks Ams

Have you considered an Australian Shepherd, a bitch is usually only about knee high and they tick all your boxes. The Papillon I think would be abit small for children so young and I think you might strike some resistance from breeders. The main thing with the Australian Shepherd is that they do require mental stimuation but if you are interested in obedience and agility then you should be fine. They are very smart and loving and I know of a number living happily with young children including my niece's one who shares the home with her toddler and has grown up with her. Also my own one adjusted very well to suddenly having two toddlers and a 6 and 8 yr old live with us for a number of months after only having limited contact previously to children. All contact was closely supervised for the safety of all as it should be with any breed. I've also had Aussie pups go to homes with very young children and it has been very successful, partially because I have ensured that the parents are responsiable when mixing dogs and children.

If you are looking for something smaller you can't go far wrong if you go for a Cavalier, these little dogs make excellent family pets even for beginners and usually have sweet temperments.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

another recommendation for the coolie

and Pandii summed them up perfectly

they seem to fit in beautifully with different lifestyles as well

contact Ruth as Pandii suggested, she also has a friend with a litter on the ground as well.

Sheltie

Miniature Poodle

Finish Lapphund

Schipperke

Keeshond

Japanese Spitz

Clearly you need to visit the Spitz Breed thread in the Breeds sub-forum! :)

I'm obviously biased towards Lappies. :D They tend to fit in wherever they go. It's one of the things I love so much about Kivi. He's just so easy. I think Shelties would be a good choice as well, but they seem a bit more intense than Lappies to me. Lappies are about the most laid back working dog there is. At least that I've met. :) My mum has a Sheltie and I reckon the coat is a bit harder to care for than the Lappie's because it's finer, but the Lappie coat is thicker and there's more dog to brush. :laugh: I adore my Lapphund, but he's definitely more spitz than my Vallhund. He has his moments of choosing to do his own thing rather than what you have just asked him. My mum's Sheltie is more like my Vallhund. She is bright and dead easy to train and doesn't have those moments of independent thinking. I like those independent moments, but not everyone does. :laugh:

Lappies are prettier, though. :vomit: You get lots of comments. Most of them are along the lines of "Is that a Malamute?" but hey, you can forgive people for not being able to pick an uncommon breed.

I must confess I get a little confused with the difference between the american and english cocker spaniel. I never know which ones people means, or does it not matter? Sorry if this is a silly query.

OOps, Troy ate my reply. Get maccas next time, Troy.

Cocker Spaniels are referred to as "Cocker Spaniels" and they are "English" cockers. American Cockers are slightly different in looks, as comparing photos of the two breeds will show. So, Cockers and American Cockers. Two different breeds. American Cckers are always called that.

Not a silly question at all!!

I meant Cocker Spaniels.

Edited by Jed

I really like the Lappies too, they were definitely on my short list. Given that you like the gun dogs, you might want to look at some of the smaller retrievers- someone has already mentioned Brittanies, another breed you might look at is the Tollers (Nova Scotian Duck Tolling Retrievers) - there's a couple at my obedience club, and they're very smart.

If you don't mind the Pembroke corgi, and your OH's objection is the queen connection, have you looked at my favourite breed, the Cardigan Corgi? They're a little bigger, smoother coated, come in a much wider range of colours, and quieter in temperament. My girl is doing quite well in obedience and agility training, and despite coming to us as an adult, ex show dog, has taken to living with our cats very well. I was never a corgi fan, having grown up with hounds, but meeting a few at a show, after they kept coming up as recommended in several online selectors, and I totally changed my mind!

Anyway I haven't shortened your list, and may have added to it, but good luck with your search. Have you tried the online selectors? There's a few good ones around, and they might throw up some options that you might otherwise never have considered!

Clearly you need to visit the Spitz Breed thread in the Breeds sub-forum! :rofl:

I think I do. I never realised how many wonderful spitz's there were around. I don't know how I missed them.

Can Aussies and Coolies cope if something comes up and they can only get a little exercise for the day? The same question for smaller retrievers.

The OH got home late and then had to go to his course so he didn't have time to look at all the breeds for me last night. He's going to look at work this morning though.

If you're going to get dogs of two different breeds a couple of years apart is it considered better to get the bigger one first or second?

I don't really think an Aussie would cope without regular exercise. Having said that, if it is only once in a while, they should be ok, but they are a medium to high energy breed. Sometimes, I would only do an hour of exercise a day with my Aussie, but generally she needed at least 2 hrs. Maybe other Aussie owners have had different experiences though?

I think it also depends on how much company a dog receives. If they are with you for the majority of the day, then they may cope without exercise better?

I think the OP would be dissapointed with a Lappie. They really are not what I would call a clingy dog! They are affectionate but compared to many other breeds mentioned I don't think they quite fit. Also there is a bit of variation in size.

Generally they are smaller than a BC and most are under 20kg (a few lines are bigger) my girl is about 14kg and is going on a diet, terranik's bitch weighs less again.

My four kelpies don't get walked daily- however they do get mental stimulation with training and do dog sports. Don't rule out working breeds (be they gun dogs herders etc) because they should have an off switch!! Historically theywould not have been working everyday so do cope with periods where they are not being exercised as much.

ETA not suggesting a kelpie just don't rule out some of the more energetic breeds.

Edited by woofenpup

Guest Pandii

Coolies,/Koolies are very adaptable, if they missed a walk every now and then you should be ok, if they are inside with you or you throw a ball for them, even mind teasing toys to keep them occupied.

I think the OP would be dissapointed with a Lappie. They really are not what I would call a clingy dog! They are affectionate but compared to many other breeds mentioned I don't think they quite fit. Also there is a bit of variation in size.

Generally they are smaller than a BC and most are under 20kg (a few lines are bigger) my girl is about 14kg and is going on a diet, terranik's bitch weighs less again.

My four kelpies don't get walked daily- however they do get mental stimulation with training and do dog sports. Don't rule out working breeds (be they gun dogs herders etc) because they should have an off switch!! Historically theywould not have been working everyday so do cope with periods where they are not being exercised as much.

ETA not suggesting a kelpie just don't rule out some of the more energetic breeds.

Really? so they are smaller than samoyeds then?

Samoyeds stand at 20 inches top height for bitches and 22 top height for dogs.

I believe (and the Lappie people will correct me if I'm wrong) a male Lappie is roughly about the size of a larger Samoyed bitch

I guess when I think of aloof I think of my parents beagle Pippa. They adopted her when she was 4 or 5, she'd been a hunting dog and had very little human interaction, but lots of dog interaction. She likes people but she can take or leave them and it makes her almost impossible to love. Everyone likes her a lot but there isn't any devotion on either side. I hate the idea of this.

I like dogs that just want to be near you, it works well for me because I just want to be near them. That said I'm wary of one person breeds, the children would hate it but most importantly what if the dog bonded with my OH and not me!?!

Eventually we will have two dogs, so having one velcro dog and one more social dog would likely suit us well.

Samoyeds stand at 20 inches top height for bitches and 22 top height for dogs.

I believe (and the Lappie people will correct me if I'm wrong) a male Lappie is roughly about the size of a larger Samoyed bitch

That sounds about right. The lappies I have met have generally been a little smaller or the same hight but stockier than a kelpie. So def smaller than a Samoyed.

Guest Pandii

coolies/koolies love children, they will lay int he shed and keep OH company while he works, they will walk and excersise with you

I have a feeling I might end up with an Aussie Terrier.

On friday literally an hour after I made up my mind I couldn't keep Hank a little aussie showed up at my door (we have a big glass door and I had my mums group over and he saw all the kids playing) which is lucky because I live on a main road. He was a lovely friendly little thing with a collar and rego tag but he was registered in tassie! So I called the Huon Valley council in case they had a mobile number - I assumed they'd just moved and hadn't updated. No such luck only landline, the ranger was great though and called me back an hour later having gone around to the house he was registered to and chatted to the neighbours. They thought the wife was on holidays visiting family in vic but the husband should be home after work so the ranger left a message for him and was going to keep trying.

So I called the local council to come pick him up, hoping he had a microchip. I expected he would have been picked up by now but the poor little boy is still in the pound :rofl: It's been six days.

I have a feeling I might end up with an Aussie Terrier.

Not the most obvious obedience/agility breed but it can be done. Nice little Terriers. :rofl:

Sometimes fate plays a hand in the dog we end up with.

Edited by poodlefan

Hey VA-

Lappies are roughly the size of a border collie.

Anyone who says that lappies aren't that cuddly must not met Bear, king of the sooky la la's!!! :rofl: LOL (mind you, Tashy is a bit of a sook too!) :cheer:

In the ring on the weeknd

BearrunnignApril26Sunburyshow.jpg (thanks for the pic Evolving!)

and at home being a big sook!

DSC06225.jpg

DSC06222.jpg

and just because I'm in photobucket....

loveisalappie-1.jpg:cheer:

Edited by lappiemum

I said cuddly, just not especially clingy! :laugh:

Kivi is like a big soft toy. You can just go up to him whenever you like and give him a big squeeze and he's into that. Sometimes you get happy groans and sometimes you get kisses in return. :rofl: But Erik takes cuddles to new heights. He's the "pick me up, pick me up!" sort of dog that then wraps his paws around your neck and rests his head on your shoulder and it's very hard to remember you have a dog and not a child in your arms. He also likes to put his paws on your leg and when you bend down to cuddle him he stretches up and puts his head on your shoulder again. And then there's the sneaking into bed to spoon with the OH of a morning, and snuggling up with OH on the couch of an evening, and asking to jump into my lap at random intervals throughout the day for a quick cuddle. It's like having a little kid. Until we got him we thought Kivi was the cuddliest dog ever, but Erik cuddles are insane. I think they should be outlawed. Nothing gets done in this house when Erik wants a cuddle.

But enough about Erik. Seeing as you like the Lappies, here's a pic of Kivi being a cuddlebear.

Kivuddles.jpg

And one of the many nice things about Lappies is how gentle they are. Little Erik uses Kivi as his own personal chew toy, but Kivi likes to cuddle with Erik as well.

KivisnugglingwithErikagain.jpg