Opinions On Nikon D3000 Vs D5000

FranVT

Okay so in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be getting my first dSLR with some of the proceeds of my car sale (after paying off some debts of course :rofl: ). I'm paying cash for it.

I've decided on a Nikon and probably have around $1300 to spend, give or take. I have been highly recommended the D3000 with the twin VR lens kit (18-55 VR and 55-200 VR). I've found this camera and kit for approximately $950 (give or take) so that is a pretty good price really.

Seeing that I have a couple of hundred dollars spare, should I upgrade to the D5000 or get some gear? A few people have told me that places like Ted's will throw in a bag and some filters usually.

Thoughts?

Also is there a 'user friendly' site that explains all the different lenses and what environments they're best for?

Edited by FranCQ

Hi Fran

Predominantly what will you be shooting with your camera? (Doggy portraits :rofl:, people portraits, landscapes, travel photos?)

Have you been into a shop and held the different cameras in your hands and tried navigating the menus?

I have held the D3000 but not navigated the menus. I preferred the feel of it to the Canon equivalent. Doggy portraits, people, maybe SOME landscapes (great views etc), travel photos sure when I plan some travel :rofl: But yes a lot of doggy things. Also music events that I run, I'd like to take band photos and stuff.

I'm not that familiar with the Nikons being a Canon girl myself, but here are the main differences between the two cameras from what I can see:

D3000

10 megapixels

ISO 100 - 1600

Continuous shooting mode 3fps

D5000

12 megapixels - greater resolution

Slightly better image censor

ISO 200 - 3200 - greater low light capability (this would be a significant advantage for your band photos)

Continuous shooting mode 4 fps - can take slightly more photos in quick burst for shooting fast moving objects, such as dogs!

Has movie shooting capability

Approx 75g heavier

The two kit lenses will certainly give you a large focal range to work with, from 18mm all the way to 200mm. However they are not particularly "fast" lenses, meaning they don't have great low-light ability, and you won't be able to get super shallow depth of field in your portraits. However, they offer the convenience of only ever having to use two lenses, not having to change lenses all the time, and the VR is supposed to be quite effective at reducing motion blur. They are probably a good option if you are just starting out with a DSLR, but look after them and keep the boxes as if you get the photography bug you will no doubt want to upgrade them at some point in the future.

I shoot pretty much exclusively with fast primes which means I need to own more lenses to cover different focal lengths, I am always having to change lenses in order to change focal length, but I have the advantage of great low light capability, and wonderfully shallow depth of field with great bokeh and super sharp pics.

Hope that helps somewhat. :rofl:

That is incredibly helpful macka! :rofl: Thanks so much! I think the D5000 is the way to go for the low light stuff. I would be taking photos in pubs (sometimes quite dingy ones, lol) so a good low light capability on the body itself is probably an advantage.

Thanks again!

By the way, anyone had personal experience with one or both of these cameras?

Following on from the others I wouldn't recommend the D3000 to anyone!

It is a real cheap camera that offers nothing that anyone would ever use and you'd be better off with a P&S camera with better settings.

The D5000 is a much better starter, but if you can save that little bit more the D90 is an ever better step up.

However - shop around. TEDS are incredibly overpriced and you should use sites like SHOPBOT to search for the best deals.

The 18-55 and 55-200 is a good combo kit lens to start with but u may find yourself switching lenses quite a bit. A better one could be the slightly more expensive Nikon 18-200, but again this is more cost :rofl: The 2 kit lenses were the first to go when I started along the upgrade path.

I would also throw in the 50mm 1.8D into your purchase for a prime lens for low light.... you can't go wrong with it!

Cool thanks SchnauzerBoy! I actually thought Teds were reasonable :cheer: Silly me. One thing I will say is that I do want to buy the camera in a store. I don't want to buy it online. That is just me.

Although, through ShopBot, the D5000 with twin VR is $847 that's pretty bloody good!

And the D90 with the twin VR lens kit (happy to start here, the 50mm 1.8D sounds good though for a purchase!) from DWI is only $1220! How did I not know about shopbot? :rofl: It's awesome! I wonder if any physical locations would match the price?

Very important: do you know if DWI are Australian Nikon warranties or grey imports?

Very important: do you know if DWI are Australian Nikon warranties or grey imports?

I took hold of my new D700 today, purchased from DWI. It arrived perfectly wrapped and in 2 days! Absolutely awesome. Nikon Australia do not support grey imports, but DWI do their own warranty which covers the standard Nikon warranty and I've also purchased a MACK 3 year warranty on top. All this was $700 cheaper than Diamonds/Teds/Camera Warehouse could do!

I'm not going into it because the topic is around on here and whirlpool. My thoughts are though that if you use a decent importer (DWI, DD Electronics etc) which have warranty returns in Australia, then you are going to save a lot of money in the long run. Cameras can go wrong whereever you purchase them... so do you want to take the risk, or get ripped off?

OK back on original topic... go for the D90 with the kit lenses :) It is sooooooo worth it and is well in your budget :) The AF, ISO and build is so much better than the D5000.

I ordered my D90 from DWI on Monday. Order status is "dispatching soon". I'm hoping they've sent it and just haven't updated my order status. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow and I have to wait the whole weekend, it'll kill me!

I know nothing about nikons but I do know about grey-market and having dealt with a store (harvey norman) and a couple of grey market importers (DDP and DWI), i'll take the grey market guys anyday. They were nothing but awesome when I bought my 50mm 1.4 and my speedlite - much better than the people at harvey norman and the local kodak store. I wouldn't buy in a store now anyway. The few things I want at the moment are all minimum $500 more expensive at stores. In the case of my 70-200mm, it's minimum $800 more at a store. :laugh:

Hello - everyone i just brought my first SLR today!!

YEAHY!

An your right i went onto shop bot and it was great!

I ended up getting a Canon 450d from "techrific" its an australian company- i was looking at DWI but was a little nervous buying from overseas

- i should of maybe reconsidred - DWI had some bargains!!!!

Sigh. I think I'm still going to buy at a store.. :laugh: I know you'll all think I'm silly but this is my first dSLR I like to buy 'first' big ticket things from a knowledgeable salesperson. If I have to pay a bit more so be it but I will still be looking for a great bargain.

Sigh. I think I'm still going to buy at a store.. :laugh: I know you'll all think I'm silly but this is my first dSLR I like to buy 'first' big ticket things from a knowledgeable salesperson. If I have to pay a bit more so be it but I will still be looking for a great bargain.

I hope your Teds up there is better than the Sydney city one. :rofl:

There's nothing they can tell you that you can't learn through your own research. You obviously like forums, why not visit a photography forum and ask for some more help/opinions there. :rofl:

I'll be buying in Brisbane. Definitely going to get a better bargain there than here in Rocky!

I will check out photography forums but I really do want to buy from a store, at least the camera body anyway.

I've handled the D5000 as a friend bought one a little while ago .... its ok but feels odd compared to my D90 (but that may be a personal preference), its certainly smaller in size but he seems to be happy with it ....

If it was me, I'd try to find the extra cash and go the D90 with the twin kit lenses ..... then hit Ebay for a 50mm later on ....

I love my D90, its comfortable to hold, easy to use and I've had it since they hit the shelves in October 2008 and its brilliant (it was my first DSLR) ....

Edited by FionaC