Family Dog Has Lymphoma :(

Found out the other day that a long-lived family dog who I am rather fond of has been diagnosed with lymphoma :(

Wondering from people's experiences how much longer he may have, should I go rushing off to say my goodbyes...

Not entirely sure what will happen yet but I believe the decision not to go for chemo has been made, due to the age of the dog (we think around 14 - he was a pound pooch) and the stress it would cause him...

I know nothing at all about the big C, really, so any advice I can pass on would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks folks.

My first dog was diagnosed with Lymphoma and we were told the most aggressive form and in the end stages we were given a week or two at the very most. We said our goodbyes a few days later - She was very sick and her lymphoma was in several organs so it was in her best interests to be PTS. Chemo was no option for us despite her being only 6yrs.

Some dogs do live a while after diagnosis, depends on what stage of the cancer it is in unfortunately we werent so lucky.

I know of a dog who was diagnosed at 18 months old, had chemo then went in remission for 1 yr then it came back more chemo remission for 2 years then it came back but the owner chose not to go for treatment and give him his wings.

Very sorry to hear about your dog :)

Lymphoma can often be very quick in progression - without any treatment perhaps only a few weeks to month or so - would depend how advanced it was before it was noticed. It is quite a shock as initially the dog can seem very well except for the enlarged nodes. Base treatment is usually just cortisone and can extend time for a little longer. A vet friend has had a patient survive around 7 months on cortisone alone but I believe that length of time is unusual.

Don't wait too long to visit and make sure you take some special tasty treats to spoil him with :)

Edited by winpara

I lost my bloodhound last year to lymphoma,he was only 2.5.Was given 4-6 weeks life expectancy ,we decided not to do chemo after researching and kept him on high dose cortisone.He did well for 3 mths,you wouldnt have known he was sick except for the enlarged nodes,but as soon as it started to spread to his lungs,he was given his wings so he didnt spend the last week or 2 sick.

Sorry to hear about your dog.

I have palliatively cared for a pug that had stomach lymphoma. The owners decided against chemo and went with cortisone and pallative care. He last approx 3 to 4 months more after diagnosis. I was syringing food into him in the last few weeks but because he was still happy I kept him going. I knew when it was time to let him go.

Carbs are thought to feed cancer so a grain free raw diet is the way to go. Also adding Omega oils to the diet is something that people recommend.

OH's german sheppie was diagnosed with lymphoma and a mammary tumour... she only lived a couple of months afterwards from memory (and at least 2 weeks longer than she should have). I would have had her pts much sooner, I believe she did suffer the last couple of weeks. I can honestly say I only felt relief when she was given her wings - relief for her that she didn't have to battle it any longer :laugh:

I'm sorry about your old family dog... coming from being a pound pooch to becoming such a loved family member and get to a good old age, sounds like he's had a cracker of a life.

I hope he gets lots of love while he is still as well as can be.

I am sorry that you are going through this.

Now is the time to go for the extra walks to the beach/creek or indulge him in a healthy treat while he is feeling well.

The good news is that our boy coped quite well for most of the time (enlarged lymph nodes was his only symptom) Although he probably knew that something was up he did not know what the fuss was all about. His health started to decline 2 weeks before but only reached a crisis point on the last day, then the oncologist came to our house to help him pass on. In our case we had 2 months from when we first discovered the lymph node but he was also living with kidney and liver disease. We also decided against chemo but the Prednisone helped him feel well while it was effective.

For now try to avoid carbs and have a supply of non carb baby food on hand.

For more support please contact http://www.dogcancer.net.au/

There are dogs out there who are coping quite well with this disease. Your dog might be one of the lucky ones :rofl:

My boy has lymphoma and was given about a week to live at original diagnosis. THAT WAS 15 MONTHS AGO!!! He is on cortisone which makes his life a never ending search for food, food and more food but is still relatively healthy. He has no muscles and I often wonder how he actually can get around but he does and will continue to do so until he is unhappy. Two vets have said that they often have patients on cortisone who go for at least 18 months. I guess it is all down to how soon it is diagnosed. My boy was diagnosed immediately his lymph nodes came up so I was one of the lucky ones (if having lymphoma can be seen as lucky).

Like everything else in life - it's a lottery.

Very sorry to hear about your dog :cool:

Lymphoma can often be very quick in progression - without any treatment perhaps only a few weeks to month or so - would depend how advanced it was before it was noticed. It is quite a shock as initially the dog can seem very well except for the enlarged nodes. Base treatment is usually just cortisone and can extend time for a little longer. A vet friend has had a patient survive around 7 months on cortisone alone but I believe that length of time is unusual.

Don't wait too long to visit and make sure you take some special tasty treats to spoil him with :)

Similar story with my first Goldie. He went off his food and a week later had been diagnosed with Lymphoma after going blind overnight. He was PTS that night, just a week after he went off his food :D

Do as winpara has suggested and don't wait too long before saying goodbye (and take a BBQ chicken with you!) :laugh:

Edited by Golden Rules

As far as I am aware the only symptom at the moment is raised lymph nodes, but then when I got the phone call his owner was very upset :(

I am hoping he will have a few months, as I am on the other side of the state :(

As far as I know his only other real problem is arthritis, he gets ear infections and hot spots often but they're not exactly life threatening.

I would really like to do something to give his owner something to remember him by, I guess I should try to take some nice photos of him or something, as I believe he will be cremated and his ashes either kept or scattered when he goes.

I don't like my chances of getting his diet changed, he has been living on supermarket food his whole life :(

I will give it a go, though, and will pass on the names of the medications, too.

Thanks again, folks.