Ruby's In The Wars Again

Our poor Ruby - last night when we got home, we noticed that she had what appeared to be a cut near her bottom so rang our vet for advice. She said to bring her in as it was most likely an infected anal gland. :( So we took her straight in, confirmed the diagnosis, picked up some antibiotics and went home again. As soon as the gland had been expressed and manipulated, she seemed to feel better and with the medication started this morning, we hope it clears up fast.

She goes back on Saturday for her cartrophen shot and we'll get the bum checked as well. Poor thing has just been so unlucky.

**There was mention of the T-word (tumour) which we hope against hope is NOT the case. We have no more funds for that sort of treatment. The two recent surgeries have depleted all our savings and my OH is changing jobs so we are watching every single cent as a result. Please join me in hoping we are only dealing with an infection and not something more sinister. :laugh:

Yep, if it's not one end, it's the other playing up :laugh: I do hope it's nothing more sinister than a wonky anal gland.

My Chloe has been going so well since February... but today had what I think was an allergic reaction, her face and nose blew up - and appears to have an infected eye out of nowhere. So, antibiotics here too, and eye cream - which makes her want to rub her face in the wet grass, which gives her the allergic reaction... oh dear, vicious cycle.

Let's hope they both come through smiling :rofl:

lillysmum, I went the 'got to check for tumour' route with Gracie's anal gland problem. But I asked, could it just be compacted?

No....could be some lethal tumour, so she had an op. And was left with burns where they'd shaved her bottom & sloshed antiseptic on her.

Poor little creature, cried for night after night.

Result of the top....no tumour, but a compacted anal gland. What I'd suggested!

We now go to a fantastic vet, who used to look after our animals years back. We travel a couple of suburbs to get there.

She's a breath of fresh air. Far more emphasis on prevention, than reaching for any old treatments.

One thing she told me to do for good functioning of anal glands, is to put a pinch of physillium (from health food shop) on the dogs' dinner.

Every preventative thing she's told me for our 2 tibbies has worked a treat. Like guidelines for their diet. The dogs have never been so healthy....& there's no over-treatment.

She's a very experienced vet at The Gap, if you want to get a second opinion. PM for name & phone no.

Mita, thanks for that. :cheers:

Check up this morning went well. Ruby had her last cartrophen shot (hopefully no more for 6 mths), and the anal gland is responding to the antibiotics, has reduced in size almost to normal, and isn't causing any more discomfort. Vet is super happy, as are we!

I think I'll get some physillium from the health food store and try that with all the dogs. :cheers: Having never experienced an anal gland problem before, it's a bit hard to know what's going on...but now we know. :laugh:

Our vet was just being overly-cautious I think, given Ruby's history. :cheers:

Mita, thanks for that. :D

Check up this morning went well. Ruby had her last cartrophen shot (hopefully no more for 6 mths), and the anal gland is responding to the antibiotics, has reduced in size almost to normal, and isn't causing any more discomfort. Vet is super happy, as are we!

I think I'll get some physillium from the health food store and try that with all the dogs. :eek: Having never experienced an anal gland problem before, it's a bit hard to know what's going on...but now we know. :laugh:

Thank goodness Ruby is responding well to the antibiotics.

Just a pinch of physillium is needed....the fibre helps the passage of the faeces.

My vet also advised that a probiotic be given, as the antibiotics whack the good bacteria in the gut, as well as the bad. You can give yoghurt for that.

Or, in my case, I used powdered Protexin, which is produced for animals (like horses & dogs). 1/4 teaspoon sprinkled on food.

The vet advised continuing that for my tibs & they have it sprinkled on their dinner, too.