Help - Timber Dog House / Run In Melbourne

Snowball

Hi

We have built a lovely paved dog run for our goldie, it is about 6 m by 3 m. Howver, we need some rain and sun protection, the pavers are also cold, so looking for a wooden dog house ( a big one, more like a cubby house/shed) she can go in and lie down in, have space for her bed etc. Something like this

www.dogruns.com.au/dog-runs-enclosure-timber-house-roof-over-house-only

without the metal run and the 2K price tag :rofl:

Can anyone point us in the right direction in Melbourne or someone who shipps to Melbourne, for an affordable timber dog house type thing iykwim. She needs a secure encloser, we have that, but we want to protect her from the elements. What are others doing?

Thanks

Snowball

HOpe the link works, not sure how to make it clickable.

Hi

Thanks, they look lovely. But we are after a bit bigger, double that in size, so she really has room to move around and keep off the cold pavers in winter and stay in the shade in summer.

But will check out those links further.

Thanks heaps

Snowball

If you are after something specific, talk with a couple of carpenters. Or you could ask some of the wooden kennel builders to build you something to spec. (Look on Ebay / Trading Post for their listings)

Or another alternative is a kids cubby house for a bigger kennel.

For rain protection cover 1/2 the run with laser lite, note though it will get hot in summer so I suggest in summer you put some heavy shade cloth over the top of it or a reflective tarp (sliver) to defer the heat. That way you get the best of both worlds, in summer it will be cool and dry and in winter it will let in the light as well as be dry.

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Thanks so much. The kids cubby house idea is perfect. Space to move around whilst protected from the wind/rain and sun. The dog run is in a hot side of the house with pavers, so this should work really well.

:laugh:

Will call suppliers on Monday

This is going to be one spoilt dog, talk about a super duper kennel.

:D :D

I had a cubby/kennel built for Winnie..

cubby3.jpg

Cubby1.jpg

Cubby2.jpg

We have since put a doggy door in it as well so over winter we can shut it completely! Out of the hundreds of things I have bought her this is the best money spent, she absolutely loves it, all her toys are in there & she has stacks of room :D Its like a playroom as well as a kennel, I have even fallen asleep in there with her :laugh:

I had a cubby/kennel built for Winnie..

cubby3.jpg

Cubby1.jpg

Cubby2.jpg

We have since put a doggy door in it as well so over winter we can shut it completely! Out of the hundreds of things I have bought her this is the best money spent, she absolutely loves it, all her toys are in there & she has stacks of room :D Its like a playroom as well as a kennel, I have even fallen asleep in there with her :laugh:

The setup is just gorgeous! Looks sooooooo comfy. I can see how you could've fallen asleep with her in there.

Snowball, we also got our kennel from designashed.com.au

I think the quality's quite good. I like how the kennel is raised, and the door is to the side to reduce draft.

Hi

Thanks, they look lovely. But we are after a bit bigger, double that in size, so she really has room to move around and keep off the cold pavers in winter and stay in the shade in summer.

But will check out those links further.

Thanks heaps

Snowball

wooden sheds get really hot in summer, so I wouldn't relie on that to provide her with shade.

To stay warm in winter, a smaller house would keep the heat from her better, unless you are planning to install heating??

When we set up our runs in Canberra years ago, we used what someone suggested earlier in this thread - laser lite roofing and shade cloth. Laser Lite was over the kennel area. It is true that if the kennel is too large that it is hard to warm in winter without additional heating. While the idea of a huge space is enticing, you may want to create a smaller sleeping room if you are set on something so big.

We have a lot of customers with big dogs seeking huge kennels and have found that either the largest of the plastic ones or something like the timber kennels with the side entry tend to be the best solutions.

Sags