Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Kuma - the garden looks great. And you guys are doing that yourself? Well done! But a quarter of house worth?..... ;)

Oh yeah! I saw the thread about the party on the weekend. Have fun guys! And big happy birthdays from us!

1. Thanks - we're kinda doing it ourselves. My hubby works in construction so he's been doing dodgy deals with mates to do stuff for us. It's awesome knowing people who own bobcats. :laugh: It sucks digging it out by hand (which we did at Easter...)

2. Thanks again! I'm sure we'll have an awesome time

We were told a the nursery other day that we should spend 10% of our house value on the garden. I think the OH nearly fainted :)

:thumbsup: 10% of the house value..!?!? Our garden will be a patch of dirt for a long long while.. we haven't even gotten anything organised for the curtins/blinds yet. The plan is to just have fabric until we do........ classy.

Don't worry, we've been in since February and have had dirt since then! We won't be spending that much on our garden - we just want to turf so we can keep the dirt down.

We didn't have curtains for the first few weeks, but the OH got a deal from somoene. Ask us about it on Saturday, I'm sure he can work something out. Think we managed to get curtains for our whole house for around $400-$500

I had an awesome walk with Kuma this morning. He was just gently plodding along loosely. I was super impressed with my boy! I think it's just coz it's getting warmer.

He's such a funny puppy, he loves to give my OH a face wash. If OH is lying on the couch, Kuma will HAVE to lick his face clean and munch on his beard. It's soooo funny. I tried to get video last night but he moved when I went to get the camera. *note to self, make sure you have camera on person all the time

Oh and can someone tell me what time I need to be there tonight? We're not doing the assessment, but we're going to come along and say hi anyway!

Kyojin loves face washing too!!!!

We ripped up the dodgy pavers in our backyard maybe 6 months or so ago? I think at this rate, it'll still be like that by the time we sell :laugh: We desperately need curtains/blinds too. Our entrance/sun room is all glass (was a verandah that the previous owners decided to close up) so at the moment it's being covered by OH's mums old TARTAN curtains! :) ;) They're so hideous :thumbsup:

Thanks Wuffles, we will aim to get there around 6:30 - 7:00 and see how we go. :laugh:

We'll probably be doing ours really early as I'm meant to be helping out so if you just want to see KTB and the others there's probably not much point being there before about 7! I can't decide whether to take Satch with me or not, he won't be doing the assessment but he likes meeting and greeting. The only problem is that he hates being tethered and will scream the house down while I'm trying to work with Ava or help out :)

Thanks Wuffles, we will aim to get there around 6:30 - 7:00 and see how we go. :laugh:

We'll probably be doing ours really early as I'm meant to be helping out so if you just want to see KTB and the others there's probably not much point being there before about 7! I can't decide whether to take Satch with me or not, he won't be doing the assessment but he likes meeting and greeting. The only problem is that he hates being tethered and will scream the house down while I'm trying to work with Ava or help out :)

Cool, I'm happy to hold onto Satch if you need me to. ;)

Oh, I am so relieved to hear about everyone's LLWing problems :) The rest of the forum sort of gives the impression that if you don't have this sorted by a couple of months, your dog (actually, more likely YOU) have problems.

James isn't normally a strong puller (except to sniff trees), it's more that he walks just a tiny bit too fast. We alternate between the head halter and flat collar when walking - the head collar gets popped on when I know we'll encounter other dogs (otherwise I have little to no control over him) or on the few occasions when he's pulling like a steam train.

I was very proud of him today. He used to be nearly as reactive with people as he is with dogs, but we have slowly been working it down to the point where he'll make a move to go to the person but can easily be called back. Until today. The council have finally gotten around to fixing our local road that was torn up by the recent flood so there were quite a few people around the footpath. On our way back home we got stuck walking right next to a meandering worker - James didn't pull once!! :laugh: I was so pleased with him. Until we got to our street and he started stalking a leaf on the ground, thinking it was a bird :) So my dog's a little bit daft :)

Our definition is simply not pulling on the leash. I used to not care about where he walks, but now I'm not so sure - he seems intent on blocking me in! I try to move to his left (so I'm not kicking his heels in front of me) and he moves left. I move right and he moves right. Silly boy.

Kyojin is walking like a champ! Fingers crossed he keeps that up for you, Minxy! :eek:

Kuma has a very thoughtful, expressive face. And amazingly large paws :) What a cutie.

Play as a reward looks like it works really well for Max - you two are very good together! I've made a few attempts to weave play in as a reward, but only when we're outside and mid-play and I'm trying to teach him to calm down when asked (i.e. dropping the toy and sitting or lying nicely) before playing again. I think it's really too much effort on my behalf ( :) ) to rile him up to the point where he'll work for a toy.

Very impressed by Max's swift drop, however! James has a very slow, "Yeah, okay, I'm getting there" process most of the time.

KTB, Hoover and Elbie look like they're having a very secret conversation behind the weeds there ;) And exclusive club of two.

I hope I haven't missed anyone there - lot to catch up on. Good luck to those doggies being assessed (tonight? tomorrow?)!!

Oh, I am so relieved to hear about everyone's LLWing problems :laugh: The rest of the forum sort of gives the impression that if you don't have this sorted by a couple of months, your dog (actually, more likely YOU) have problems.

Our definition is simply not pulling on the leash. I used to not care about where he walks, but now I'm not so sure - he seems intent on blocking me in! I try to move to his left (so I'm not kicking his heels in front of me) and he moves left. I move right and he moves right. Silly boy.

Kuma has a very thoughtful, expressive face. And amazingly large paws :eek: What a cutie.

I hope I haven't missed anyone there - lot to catch up on. Good luck to those doggies being assessed (tonight? tomorrow?)!!

Yes, the forum is full of Woe Betide! What Do You Mean You Can't LLW? Rehome or PTS :)

Good to hear that LLW for all of us is relatively similar. I just want no yanking on the lead.

Assessments are tonight. Kuma's not going for his, but we'll head down for a bit of a giggle. We won't go back until Term 2, 2011. It'll be too hot in Jan/Feb/Mar for him.

Thanks Niques.

I'll definitely get Kyojin a harness for when he's bigger. I don't think I'll ever walk him without OH with me though. He's going to weigh the same as me, if not just a little bit more, so I know who's going to win if he pulls too suddenly!

I can't wait til he's fully grown though so I can buy him a stunning leather leash and collar set.

I have my eyes on several of the Hamish McBeth ones. Does anyone know if they're good quality?? The K9 Pro range of leashes and collars look wonderful, but I want something that's going to be durable but also look good. Is that too much to ask???

Assessment tonight also comes with a BBQ/sausage sizzle. What torture, agony and temptation for the poor doggies!!! :laugh: I'll bring my camera and see if I can get some photos of the event.

Maybe I can tuck poor Hoover into my backpack - Richard Gere did it in the Hachi movie!!

Regarding the play training - I am just grateful to have a place to share it! I was pretty excited when I saw how it worked so well. Though that it did work so well was probably contributed to by my excitement (a positive feedback loop.... must remember this for LLW)!

Speaking of things excitement - as well as a joint birthday party, is there a wedding coming up for someone?????

Lilli_star (or was it Niques?) - one of you seems like you're in a constant state of lawn mowing. And I just wanted to say having an OH doesn't solve that! Mine has hayfever like anything, so guess who ends up doing it?!

Good luck tonight all for the assessments/spectating!

Regarding the play training - I am just grateful to have a place to share it! I was pretty excited when I saw how it worked so well. Though that it did work so well was probably contributed to by my excitement (a positive feedback loop.... must remember this for LLW)!

Speaking of things excitement - as well as a joint birthday party, is there a wedding coming up for someone?????

Lilli_star (or was it Niques?) - one of you seems like you're in a constant state of lawn mowing. And I just wanted to say having an OH doesn't solve that! Mine has hayfever like anything, so guess who ends up doing it?!Good luck tonight all for the assessments/spectating!

When I was a kid, my brother got a doctors certificate saying that he got severe hayfever when mowing the lawn. Gave it to my parents and got out of mowing the lawn ever again. We had an acre block and a ride-on lawn mower. I loved it... :laugh:

ETA: HEY!!! I just noticed we're on page 100 :eek: we sure can talk !

Edited by KumaAkita

Still tossing up whether to bring the large black dog tonight or not. I'm so indecisive. ARGH.

Page 100 for me too!

Max#1, I am getting married in February :) Seems like a lot of organisation though when we've already been together for 9 years and lived together for 5...

Good luck with all the assessments tonight Canberrians.

Does that mean you are finished training for the year???

And have a great party on the weekend! I'm sure that all of us non-Canberrians feel we are missing out on the Social Event of The Year!

We have training tonight, and glad it is inside and its been pretty wet here. I have been persisting with the LLW training, trying not to get frustrated! Ziggy knows when I stop that he has to come back a bit, and almost does this straight away, but then he starts walking pretty fast again. Lungeing can be a problem, but his reactivity to people is lessening (although not to other dogs, trees, or food). After he lunges badly I must say I reign in the lead a bit and make him walk in an almost heel. I have also increased the food rewards when we are LLW and he looks back to me when I say his name (or "watch" - the dog school term). We have also been practicing a lot at training with different distractions etc and I must say I am beginning to enjoy training again. Last term was getting a bit boring.

Also, happy to note that Ziggy was completely unfazed by the thunderstorm last night. We probably didn't get a heap of thunder but boy did it rain. He actually sat by the (open) back door and seemed to be enjoying it all.

I am just back from training.

Usually this means that my dog is exhausted and asleep on the floor at this time

But we did something different tonight - and it was like they were serving double strength red cordial at a childrens birthday party ;)

They brought out the agility tunnel and my dog went nuts. He loved it. Zipped through at a million miles and hour. He now has a crazy look in his eyes.

I think I may have an agility dog in the making...... :thumbsup:

Lilli_star (or was it Niques?) - one of you seems like you're in a constant state of lawn mowing. And I just wanted to say having an OH doesn't solve that! Mine has hayfever like anything, so guess who ends up doing it?!Good luck tonight all for the assessments/spectating!

Ahh, yes, that would be me :laugh: Front lawn mowed yesterday evening, back lawn mowed tonight and I. Am. Stuffed. I really need to put in some kind of garden bed type items in the backyard in the holidays to try and cut down on the amount of grass I need to mow. ;) I'm so tired :thumbsup: . Reports are due next week and mine are not going to be ready- I've had a prac student for the past 5 weeks (yes. In term 4. Great timing-not) and since they've been 'teaching' I haven't been able to assess my kids like I would have usually done by now. Praccie's last day tomorrow though- my kids have been out of sorts and more chatty than usual. Not how they would behave with me.

Hope all the dog assessments went well. Look forward to pics and news ;)

Wuffles - my sincerest congratulations!

Betsy - I also have a dog on speed tonight! I was blaming the humidity? Ha!

Lilli_star - my Mum is a teacher, so I can understand with the reports. And in QLD, it sounds like they keep changing things, like the tests that need to be done, the way the reports are written etc etc. A big headache. As far as mowing is concerned... think of the exercise!? That's what I try to do! :thumbsup: