Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Niques - hope that James is feeling better soon. It must be quite worrying not knowing what is wrong.

raven - waiting, waiting.....

Ziggy has just had his photo taken with Santa at dog school- it's a professional one so I couldn't do one at the same time. I was a little concerned but Santa certainly had a knack with the dogs and the photo should be quite good (even if a little corny). We have passed this term - YAY. Moving up to the next class next term. I think it is just more basic manners with distractions. Which is exactly what we need.

We did our first stand for exam tonight, and Ziggy was quite good (surprisingly). Wiggled a bit but allowed the trainer to examine him (he even tried to get in for a kiss when she was examining his front paw :eek::wave: )

Raven - don't tell my cat, but her bed at the moment is my dog's one he grew out of. She loves it. It could also be that there is a mohair rug in there as well (used to be mine but covered in cat hair from when it used to live on the couch).

Minxy: Congratulations!! Also, I'd pay good money to see K do flyball :wave:

ravenau1 is probably busy either cooing after puppy or chasing around after puppy and cleaning up puddles and poo-dles ...

Niques - so sorry to hear that James is still not eating. :) I know how worrying that must be for you. Is he willing to eat anything at all? Rice? Chicken etc?

Alas, I'm feeling a bit edgy tonight. Papa Koala's been in and out of hospital the last week so that's been worrying. On top of that, tomorrow we're Hoover in for desexing :) It's the right thing to do of course and we were always going to get him desexed but I just feel quite guilty about it for some reason. With Elbie, it was kind of sprung on us quickly because he had an injured paw and kind of had to do everything at the same time so there wasn't really time to ponder things too much. He keeps running at me with his ears back determinedly and his butt wiggling happily - tomorrow he's going to be a bit bewildered as we leave him at the vet's. He hasn't been left behind at a place for so long before. I know he'll be fine but anyway ;)

ETA: Betsy - do we get to see the photo with Santa? :eek:

Edited by koalathebear

ETA: Betsy - do we get to see the photo with Santa? :wave:

I get the photo back next week - I'll try to scan it in then! (I had to select between ones where there was varying degrees of tongue hanging out of the mouth :eek: )

I think we'd all pay money to see Kuma doing flyball. It would be a magnificent sight!

Ziggy has just had his photo taken with Santa at dog school

:wave: That's so sweet! I can just picture all the dogs standing in line with eager faces :eek:

Niques - so sorry to hear that James is still not eating. ;) I know how worrying that must be for you. Is he willing to eat anything at all? Rice? Chicken etc?

He's eating most things except the dry which is why the vet wasn't a priority (combined with the fact that he's still his chirpy self, pooing regularly, etc.) and we thought puzzle it out ourselves. He's basically been living off meaty bones (and sardines and treats) for the past week - not nutritionally ideal :rofl: He isn't, however, eating "recreational" bones - the ones with just scraps of meat. And has also only been eating the meat of his lamb shanks and not touching the bone. Both of which support the hurt mouth idea.

I'm very sorry to hear about Papa Koala's troubles this week :)

Hope all goes well with Hoover tomorrow! I know what you mean about the guilt - James isn't even being done for a while yet and I've been feeling bad about it for months already :)

KTB - I was wondering if Papa Koala was ok, as you seemed a little quiet. Hope things settle down soon - sometimes there is just too much happening at once, and prioritising is hard.

Oh, and how are you (and other Canberrians) going with the rain/floods?

I'm sure your chilled-out Hoover will take it all in his stride. I think I will get Ziggy done next month or in Feb, just need to find a time where I will be home a bit to "keep him quiet".

Niques - there was a bit of a line up for Santa :wave: . Although I was the only one from my class. I was happy that Ziggy wasn't freaked out by him actually, and was happy to sit there and have his photo taken (and get an ear scratch!). One of the other dogs in my class (Ollie, english springer spaniel) was absent last week because of 2 grass seeds (groin and foot). Full anaesthetic required, plus a substantial hair cut! Scary :eek:

Wow, I love my training club!

So I asked them to confirm who the trainer would be for the next level, and mentioned that I was hoping to continue with the same lady. Well, they said they were more than happy to switch the trainers for that class and promptly changed the info on the website! SWEET :wave:

Niques: Sorry to hear James isn't feeling too well. I hope you get it sorted out soon

betsy: Aww, Santa pic! :rofl: How cute that will be! I desperately wanted to get a little doggie Santa hat for pics for Astrid, but wasn't allowed to :). Mr Raven is maniacally opposed to hats on dogs apparently :eek:

KTB: Sorry to hear about Papa Koala, it must be very worrying for you ;)

Hoover probably won't even notice anything has been done! Hope it all goes well though :o

minxy: That's good news! I worry about training/obedience classes a bit, with the perception people have of Dobes, do you get the same with Akitas? The amount of people who have told me over the last 6 months not to get a Dobe because they are evil and vicious is absurd!

Well, we had a pretty good night here! Around 10 last night Astrid put herself to bed in the soft crate in the lounge room. When we went to bed ourselves at around 11 we moved her into the crate in the bedroom, she hardly even stirred! She slept until 3am when I got up momentarily, so I took her out for a loo break then popped her back in her crate and apart from a couple of minutes of grumbling (so funny :) ) she curled up and went back to sleep. She and OH are still fast asleep :wave:

She had a little accident inside, but only because we weren't quick enough and had been so enchanted by just about everything she did that we lost track of time! Today we will be more vigilant. ;)

Oh Ravenau, she's beautiful. Can't wait to see more piccies!

Yes, I know it would be funny to see Kuma do flyball... not sure that we'll do it tho! :cry:

minxy: That's good news! I worry about training/obedience classes a bit, with the perception people have of Dobes, do you get the same with Akitas? The amount of people who have told me over the last 6 months not to get a Dobe because they are evil and vicious is absurd!

I can answer that one... with a resounding YES. We were told not to get an Akita if we were ever planning on having kids because the Akita will eat them. Shyeah Right. Anyone who has met Kuma knows he is not a vicious animal. I've met SWF that are more dangerous! There's a guy we meet on our walks most mornings, he's an elderly gentleman who is originally from Sri Lanka or that part of the world. He asks me every morning "does he bite??" whilst trying to run the other way. I understand this is a cultural thing, given that dogs carry rabies in that part of the world, but EVERY MORNING??? All he'll do is lick you to death. :)

Hey KTB - hope Papa Koala is doin' ok. Let me know if you need anything

I can see sun and blue sky from my window this morning, fingers crossed it stays this way for the remainder of the day. We could dry out a little! It's been astonishing. It must not have rained as much on the north side yesterday, Kuma was bone dry when we got home. Either that or he slept in his kennel all day (which wouldn't surprise me either!)

Oh and Betsy - last time we were at the vet, Kuma french kissed the young vet. Most embarrasing. :D

Hope James is ok Niques...

Edited by KumaAkita

We haven't really come up with that too much yet, but I'd say that's only because so far no one in our class had ever heard of an Akita before. Our trainer had said she had to Google Akita's before we got there so she'd know what one looked like. I have my suspicions that the other trainer who I didn't want, HAS heard of them though and thinks negatively of them. I'm not sure, but I do get that feeling.

I've had one or two people at the park ask me if they are fighting dogs etc, but at least they were asking out of curiousity and not fear/disgust etc as they had spent the last 2 hours cuddling up to him and saying how wonderful he was.

I've grown up with Rotties my whole life, so I've definitely heard loads of people say how horrible and aggressive they are. My girls have been some of the most gentle, sweet natured dogs I've ever met! I think that just because a dog can be trained to be a guard dog, or some bogan idiot has trained their dog to be aggressive, that everyone automatically views the whole breed as bad, which is definitely not true. I'm surprised that at the moment when we walk Kyojin that so many people want to pat him and smile at him. He's already a "big" dog at the moment, but I'm not sure that once he's fully grown that people will still be interested in him. I suspect they will run the other way :cry:

I can answer that one... with a resounding YES. We were told not to get an Akita if we were ever planning on having kids because the Akita will eat them. Shyeah Right. Anyone who has met Kuma knows he is not a vicious animal. I've met SWF that are more dangerous! There's a guy we meet on our walks most mornings, he's an elderly gentleman who is originally from Sri Lanka or that part of the world. He asks me every morning "does he bite??" whilst trying to run the other way. I understand this is a cultural thing, given that dogs carry rabies in that part of the world, but EVERY MORNING??? All he'll do is lick you to death. :D

I have actually heard the kids thing from my sister. She tried telling my mum how bad they'd be with kids etc and again, that they are fighting dogs. Fortunately my mum has the good sense not to condemn a dog based on what she has heard, and when she met him, she thought he was beautiful.

Astrid is sooo cute! Awwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Lots of people cross the road when I am walking Satchy...

I've seen an Irish Wolfhound do flyball! I don't think I've ever been so entertained in my life than watching him compete :cry:Here is a linky. This, from the PDF, pretty much sums up his technique:

Callaghan usually walks calmly down to the box,

then likes to stop and look around once he gets

there (just to make sure everyone is watching

him), before whacking the box with his paw and

trying to find the ball under his feet once it has

been ejected. His return to me is usually a little

faster and occasionally he does it at a good lope as

he knows there is a tasty treat to be had.

KA, my parents took in a cat that had been left behind by its owners when they moved out. I'm not a cat person in general but FreeCat was so cute... she spent a happy year wandering around my parents yard and getting fed yummy food, but unfortunately she had cancer. We wonder whether the previous owners knew she was sick and that's why they left her behind. A very nasty thing to do :D

The Flyball ladies told us about Callaghan. We'll think about it. I could just see Kuma going "nah, f*(& it... I'm gunna sleep" :cry:

We had a FreeCat too - called Nigel (as in Nigel No Friends) We think his original owners dumped him coz he stank... his farts could clear a room :D :):) poor mite was lactose intollerant.

We had a FreeCat too - called Nigel (as in Nigel No Friends)

:D Our FreeCat was called "Sweetie" - the neighbours took her to the vet and told them her name was "Streetie" as in Street Cat so my parents just varied it slightly to make it less horrible :cry:

Well, we had a pretty good night here! Around 10 last night Astrid put herself to bed in the soft crate in the lounge room. When we went to bed ourselves at around 11 we moved her into the crate in the bedroom, she hardly even stirred! She slept until 3am when I got up momentarily, so I took her out for a loo break then popped her back in her crate and apart from a couple of minutes of grumbling (so funny :D ) she curled up and went back to sleep. She and OH are still fast asleep :cry:

Aww, she sounds lovely! And is very beautiful!

We were told not to get an Akita if we were ever planning on having kids because the Akita will eat them.

I know it's awful that people have such perceptions but I can't help but laugh whenever I read things like that :) I just picture Kuma nonchalantly snacking on KumaAkita Jr and it's a ridiculous image.

Raven, we had a Dobermann join our class at obedience one week and she was a charming pup. James was most taken with her and the two were inseparable at every break in the class. I think the ear cropping in the past hasn't helped their "aggressive" reputation - with normal ears they look extremely docile and sweet.

Flyby post! Dobe puppies! So cute! And yes, it's all about the ears. I think dobes only looked fearsome when they had the Devil Ears, with their natural ears they look very gentle.

wuffles - I can't believe people cross the road over Satch! he is such a gentle giant!! Then again, a tradesman who came by looked at our two and said: "Kelpies? They're only ok when they're puppies - when they're older, they'll bite you."

Hoover's home post-snip. He is very, very groggy and is such a sad-looking little puppy right now.