Elbie, Hoover, Dodge & Friends!

Just quickly, Lils, reading your post made me chuckle! I too am in no hurry to have another puppy - Genevieve was a complete handful. Nothing like the puppy I had previously!!! She barked for a start (my other puppy didn't discover her vocal cords until about 10 or 11 weeks. Miss G on the other hand was running a presidential campaign the minute she got in the front door), chewed every bloody thing (again, never had that issue with last pup) and constantly wanted to be on me and have my attention! It didn't help that OH was overseas at the time, so it was a long four weeks!!! I was ready to kill her and couldn't believe I had begged to get a dog for so long, only to find myself in tears all the time.

She is supposed to be an 'adult' dog now and past all the puppiness but she isn't much better.... Perhaps that says something for my parenting! Oops! She still barks and she still chews.... At least she has laid off the bottom of my jeans!

Wuffles, sorry to hear about your training session last night. I hope the lovely Miss Ava is okay.

At least Ava HAS recall- Ruby does not :) This morning after I stumbled out of bed (not a morning person) to take Roo outside, I didn't put her lead on like I usually do. I have no front fence (which is on my to do list) and as the cat has his litter trays in the laundry, to get to the backyard, I have to go out the front then around to the side gate. This means Ruby has her toilet breaks at night on lead (annoying, but necessary), and when I take her around the back, she's usually on lead too. Except this morning. I was still half asleep, about to wander around to the backyard in my Elmo jamas (which technically don't match, since the bottoms are 'summer' jamas, and the top is flannelette, even though both have Elmo on them) with Roo, when she spots two of the ladies who live in my street out for their morning walk. "OOOOH! FRIENDS!" thinks Ruby, and runs across the road towards them "Love me love me love me love me! Hi hi hi hi hi!" bum wiggling, just as a car is coming up the road! So there I am in the driveway (wearing my jamas and thongs) saying "RUBY! COME!" to no avail. Luckily the ladies grabbed Roo's collar, and held her for me, and as it turned out, the car was turning into its driveway 2 doors down. :thumbsup: Ugh. I then dragged her around the back and gave her a severe talking to. Which worked...not one bit unsurprisingly. Naughty doglet.

cleoJ - fear not! Not all puppies are little bastards. As mentioned, I'm actually glad we got Elbie first and then Hoover. The other way around would have been a shock to the system :thumbsup: Hoover was much, much easier during his puppyhood. Admittedly we got him at around the 3 month mark whereas Elbie was probably just on 8 weeks so a lot more hard work. Hoover's breeder was already able to describe Hoover's personality to us in detail so that we knew he would fit in. Depends whether you want an 8 weeker or a slightly older pup :rofl:

As for photos, we have a pile of leaves that have been swept up into the corner of the courtyard. We keep meaning to get rid of the leaves but in the meanwhile, the dogs have taken control. :D

leaves.jpg

Also, we are using the bathroom as the 'sin bin' for the dogs as their punishment/denial of pack time room. Elbie knows he's being punished and we can see that he's standing at the door waiting to be liberated. Today Hoover was sinbinned for barking at passers-by from the front door. When OH went to let him out, Hoover was chilling out on the bathroom mat gnawing on a toilet roll core that he had stolen from the garbage bin - apparently completely unaware that he was being punished :)

lilli_star: glad you got Roo back all right ... You must have been so frightened! Once Hoover dashed out the front door and I almost freaked out but fortunately he paused and then came back when called. Cars come around the bend at a huge speed and they would NOT see a red and tan Kelpie puppy :rofl:

Edited by koalathebear

Also, we are using the bathroom as the 'sin bin' for the dogs as their punishment/denial of pack time room. Elbie knows he's being punished and we can see that he's standing at the door waiting to be liberated. Today Hoover was sinbinned for barking at passers-by from the front door. When OH went to let him out, Hoover was chilling out on the bathroom mat gnawing on a toilet roll core that he had stolen from the garbage bin - apparently completely unaware that he was being punished :thumbsup:

Roo loves toilet rolls too :) The black monster is having a gnaw on her chewie (deer antler) at the moment. She usually only chews it for about 5 minutes, then abandons it for something else. Short attention span? Yes. But those of you who have bought one for your doglets, do they gnaw on it for very long?

Just a quick reply - no efficient reading and posting tonight I'm afraid....

Wuffles - I'm sorry to hear about your training session - I'm sure it'll be okay, and good luck for the trial!!! If I had any hope that Max would get to competition I would be at obedience classes every week like a shot. I think that's the problem. Obedience, really is a sport - and as we're not good at it, I give up. Am I too competitive maybe? :thumbsup: Maybe. Flyball, on the other hand, he kicks ass :) . Last night at training even after a four week absence coming off Christmas break he still remembered it all - and did really really well! Made me so proud!!!! Looks like we'll be ready for our first competition in June!

KTB - what are you doing to me putting all those links of sad puppies up???? Friends in our flyball club who were recently in Canberra for the show/competition came back with a little Jack Russell x puppy, and they bought him to training last night. Such a cute little bundle of roly poly puppy!!! Max and his friend were following the little puppy around - they weren't really sure what to do with it. Very sweet.

Max was a medium-stress puppy. Not super easy, but not completely hard work. Our puppy 'Puppy' growing up was worse. He had a flea allergy, lost all of his hair and had chronic diarrhea due to giardia. Let's just say he was not your typical 'lovable' puppy. Especially as we had wooden floors and all you could hear all night was 'thump thump thump' from scratching. Max is easier because I don't have to worry about him so much - he is sociable, can eat everything, takes things mostly in his stride..... Fenster look forward to your stories....!

Facebook. I'm on there but not an 'active' member. I don't put up photos, don't tell the world about my state of being, and rarely go on there (blame DOL! :D ).

Poor Ava and Wuffles. Hope Ava is ok. I feel slightly bad as my dog always goes and says hello to other dogs and people when off lead (hence being very careful with him off lead). recall very average :cry:

Not all puppies are monsters. I think I was lucky in that mine grew up very quickly, and started sleeping through the night without weeing from about 14 weeks. I think if I did get another dog I would look at getting a puppy first (but consider a mature dog). Temperament would be important. Realistically I can't see this happening for another 9-12 months.

he he at Hoover in 'time out' (is this another of K9Pro's methods????)

Lilli_star - I had Ziggy rush out to the driveway one day when I was putting the bins out (The doors - plural- weren't closed properly). I freaked out but then made it into a game and ran to go inside, luckily he followed and there were no distractions present. (There is a park across the road and people and their dogs are frequently there.) My heart skipped a few beats.

Okay, I have been lured to the dark side

I have been finding the dark side very amusing :hug:

Max, I joined the dark side last night...you can too! I'm not into the whole "high school-ness" that Facebook has become, and I have resisted for years, but I like chatting to everyone on here :) Meanwhile, I'm not intending on tracking down people from high school etc*, and I use a fake name :rofl:

* Case in point

A few days before school went back, I ran into a parent from school. After exchanging pleasantries, she said "Oh, I see you're friends with my husband now"

*Blank look from me*

"On Facebook," she explained.

"Oh no, that can't be me, I'm not on Facebook" I laughed.

*Puzzled look from mother*

"Really? But it said *insert real name here*" she said.

"Nope. Not me" I said, and left her wondering about it with our school secretary. I guess she didn't think there could be anyone else in the world with the same name as me :hug::cry: And wouldn't she be slightly concerned as to WHY I would be friends with her husband on Facebook when I've met him about 3 times????

KTB - what are you doing to me putting all those links of sad puppies up????

Sorry :curtsey: I'm sad that OH won't let me foster all of these cute Kelpie puppies. Who could abandon 5 week old puppies like that? :rofl:

he he at Hoover in 'time out' (is this another of K9Pro's methods????)

Yes :hug: Time-out used to be leashing them in the kitchen for 30 seconds but the kitchen is a place they like to play so it's not really a punishment. Then it was leashing them outside, but we do that for when they eat lamb flaps so it wasn't 'negative' and 'deprived' enough. In the end we picked the bathroom because we don't care if they have negative associations with the bathroom and they need to be somewhere that they don't have access to the rest of the pack. Of course if Hoover's going to raid the bin for toilet rolls to chew, it's not much of a punishment :dropjaw:

I have been finding the dark side very amusing :cry:

Yes ... you guys are hilarious. In particular wizzle's slip-up as co-admin and your professed relief at not being dumped from the group :)

lilli_star: re the antlers, it varies. Sometimes they get bored of their antlers quite quickly, other times they gnaw on them forever. Usually what happens is:

1. dogs gnaw

2. dogs swap places and suddenly decide that the other dog's antler is more interesting

3. dogs gnaw

Glad you got Roo back fine lilli_star, I had a problem like that when we first moved into this new place. Because we don't have a gate and back fence yet either OH or I supervise the pups when they go outside to do their business, one particular day it was me and I turned my head for 1 sec and the dogs disappeared. The neighbours across the road have a pup and were playing with him and squeaking a toy, naturally my dogs sprinted to the sound of squeaking. Off I ran in my 'chillaxing' on a Sunday afternoon clothes to get them back, it sure was one way to meet my neighbours.. in clothes that my OH would say that I look very 'comfortable' in.

Mars and Pepper chew on their antlers for quite a long time, although there is one piece of antler we got where they chew for a few mins then give up on, that particular piece is rather hard and they can't seem to put a dent into it.

Mars and Pepper chew on their antlers for quite a long time, although there is one piece of antler we got where they chew for a few mins then give up on, that particular piece is rather hard and they can't seem to put a dent into it.

Hmmm...maybe that's it then? It's too hard? To look at Roo's antler, you'd think she had barely touched it- about 3cm from the end has scratchy teeth marks, and a little bit inside has been eaten, but the rest looks 'new'. I bought 2 at the time not knowing how long they would last, or if Ruby would even like it. And she didn't really to start with, so I gave the other one to the GSD next door.

Roo is currently laying on her back with an el cheapo stuffed toy in her mouth. She's happy :hug:

El cheapo toys are the best, Mars loved his woolies bought toy, it was the first one he ever learnt how to squeak and suprisingly it lasted longer than all his other ones; normally woolies toys break the moment you touch them.

I think mine give up on the harder antler because even though they are chewing on it, they aren't getting anything from it - so its possible it is the same with Roo's, or she could possibly not like it too much - but at least she still chews a bit from time to time. :hug:

Our two just killed a cheapie plastic bone from Woollies. I still don't know which one ate part of it and which one ate the squeaker :hug: OH suspects Hoover. Their new Tuffie toys arrived today - we've been very happy with them. The dogs tug with them a LOT and the starfish only recently got a hole in it.

tuffiepalooza.jpg

oooooh, new toys! I have to buy my lot a few new tuffies, they got a tuffie crocodile from my sister for Christmas last year and Pepper being the destructor of toys has managed to pull its mouth/jaw apart.

Does Hoover squeak when your OH picks him up now? :hug:

Ahem... I'm the 'soft' Co-Admin!!!! I just let any random in it would appear!!! :( I just wanted to add someone!

Lilstar - I am glad Roo was returned home safely, albeit when you least want your neighbours to see you!!! My poor neighbours probably don't think I own any day time clothes as I am always in PJs, sticking my head out the front door yelling at the mut! And don't worry, yours match in comparison to mine! I am currently sleeping in this giant t-shirt of OH with his old trackies... I refuse to by maternity PJs!

I am so jealous of the toy collection! Genevieve destroys everything! I refuse to buy her more of what she already has. I keep my eyes open for something new and different, but it all seems to be same old same old. The Woolies toys don't last longer than an afternoon here. She breaks them down into tiny pieces very quickly. G doesn't chew on antlers, but... she has a few toys and chews that she rotates. When she gets new ones, it can take a while for her to 'warm' up to them. For example, we gave her a raw hide bone for Christmas and it has only been in the last few weeks that she has re-discovered it and now I can't get it off her! She found her nylabone last night in among her blankets in her crate and now she is walking around with that in her mouth... So, my point is, don't give up. One day you will find no more antler....

Time out is the bathroom here too. But I have to make sure the bin is up on the bench, bathmat hung over the shower and the plant is up on the ledge otherwise I come back to a war zone...

Evening all!

ps - Facebook killed my internet for some reason? Truly the dark side.

But for a photo....

Truly a hard day in the life of a dog. Reading the newspaper, on the kitchen table....... again :thumbsup:

post-35830-1299750289_thumb.jpg

I have just fished a squeaker out of Ruby's mouth from a toy she has destroyed. *Eyeroll* Crazy dog. Crazy dog did crazy dog zoomies in the rain tonight when I went to get her- she wanted to come around the front to go inside, but did not want to put on lead. The black monster must have been bored in the rain today- a few holes, no biscuits left in her Buster Cube (which has been ignored for a couple of weeks now), box destroyed; but thankfully bedding was kept in the shed, not dragged into the rain as I had suspected.

Here are some photos of the Mexican standoff from earlier tonight.

Jasper making himself at home.

dogbedjasper.jpg

What's going on?

dogbedjasperroo.jpg

dogbedjasperroo2.jpg

Roo the other night- when all was well with the world, and the cat was sleeping in his own bed! :thumbsup:

dogbed25march.jpg

dogbed5march.jpg

Hello everyone :banghead:

Not much has been happening around here as I have been resting.I felt a bit better but today I have quite a temperature which is annoying. My teaching Astrid to bring me things from her crate and to put them back again led to another rash of Household Retrieving :eek: spools of thread, clothes from the laundry, shoes, catalogs (well I might have wanted to read them!), a ping pong ball (nicely sized to lodge right in her throat if she breathed in :D ) and several rocks that she brought in from outside.

I got a new treat bag in the mail yesterday this kind:- http://www.doggonegood.com/index.cfm?fusea...mp;ParentCat=14 as I was having trouble with my Black Dog bag because of the hinge it narrows at the sides and I have trouble getting my humungo-hands in there :) I am 5'11" so not 'pocket sized' and have big hands and feet :eek: . I used it yesterday and I am quite pleased! What kind does everyone else use?

Funny though, the package also had a pig ear in it and Astrid could smell it as soon as I got it off the postie :cheer: I couldn't figure out what the excitement was all about until I opened it.

The Fenstar: Regarding cats and puppies. We have had some success. I currently have two cats (will also have my folks cats next month until November) and one of them really likes Astrid (Jinx) and one hates her (Tosca). For the most part Astrid just ignores them but Tosca teases her! Lures her in nice and close then bops her on the nose! On the odd occasion Astrid will poke Jinx with her nose one too many times and Jinx will complain and give her a swipe but it usually takes more than four or so pokes. We started off really slowly, it took us about a week before we had a 'face to face' introduction. Lots of letting them smell each others smells etc first. And when Astrid was asleep in her crate in the loungeroom I would let the cats in to look at her and sniff around etc. We just make sure that the cats have a safe area where Astrid can't get to. Usually of an evening we have the cats on the couch and Astrid on her bed and everyone is ignoring everyone else. I don't expect that they will ever be best friends though, but that's ok, my cats don't really like each other either, but they tolerate each other.

Astrid is a plant destroyer! I fenced off what little garden I have with the wire compost bins from Bunnings. When we stayed at my folks a while ago Astrid would pluck flowers off the plants in my Mum's beautiful garden ;) just pick them off and spit them out. She thought it was great fun.

KTB: RE the immigration stuff, I have an idea that they may have thought we were a bit 'dodgy' :laugh: We met while I was on holiday and got engaged 5 weeks later, I suspect they don't like 'whirlwind romances'!

wuffles: Thanks for that post on heeling, it makes a lot of sense! :banghead:

lilli_star: :o Poor Ruby! A cat will always find the comfiest spot, no matter who it belongs to!

Loving the pics from everyone! Here's a couple from me.

AstridbitetedMarch2011.jpg

astridclosemarch2011.jpg