New Dimmitrol- Contains Ivermectin!

Just to let others that use Dimmitrol Daily for heartworm prevention that there is a new form of Dimmitrol and it DOES contain IVERMECTIN so should not be given to Ivermectin sensitive breeds( Collies, Shelties, Aussies, OES, Akita's, sighthounds and others);

Dimmitrol Monthly Chews.

For the prevention of Heartworm Disease in dogs. Contains Ivermectin 136 mcg/chewable. One chewable per 12 - 22kg (26.4-48.4lb) bodyweight given monthly. Easy to administer and extremely palatable in a unique bone shape. Available in convenient 50 pack

You can still purchase the original Dimmitrol that DOES NOT have Ivermectin

Just to let others that use Dimmitrol Daily for heartworm prevention that there is a new form of Dimmitrol and it DOES contain IVERMECTIN so should not be given to Ivermectin sensitive breeds( Collies, Shelties, Aussies, OES, Akita's, sighthounds and others);

None of the ANKC recognised sighthounds is noted for Ivermectin sensitivity. The only two 'breeds' that are noted for it are the Longhaired Whippet and the Silken Windhound, both of which are known or suspected to have Shetland Sheepdog or Collie Rough in their makeup.

Edited by poodlefan

For clarification purposes - It appears the the DAILY Dimmitrol does not contain ivermectin, but the MONTHLY chewable tablets do. Dogs with an ivermectin sensitivity should only be given the daily tablets.

Edited to add - I think IR was actually trying to convey that, but it didn't come out clear. People who have previously given Dimmitrol Daily tablets may think the 'new' monthly chews are safe, but it appears they are not.

Edited by ~Anne~

Thanks Anne. That was exactly trying to type but it didn't come out right-sorry.

Sighthounds are on my list from Washington University in USA so that is why I included them. It might be only in USA there are affected dogs??

Thanks Anne. That was exactly trying to type but it didn't come out right-sorry.

Sighthounds are on my list from Washington University in USA so that is why I included them. It might be only in USA there are affected dogs??

I'll say it again, the "sighthounds" that are affected by Ivermectin are not recognised sighthound breeds here OR in the USA.

The list from WU only indicates the two 'breeds" I mentioned in my earlier post and I gave the reasons why.. collie or sheltie ancestry.

Breeds affected by the MDR1 mutation (frequency %)

Breed Approximate Frequency

Australian Shepherd 50%

Australian Shepherd, Mini 50%

Border Collie < 5%

Collie 70 %

English Shepherd 15 %

German Shepherd 10 %

Herding Breed Cross 10 %

Long-haired Whippet 65 %

McNab 30 %

Mixed Breed 5 %

Old English Sheepdog 5 %

Shetland Sheepdog 15 %

Silken Windhound 30 %

Edited by poodlefan

well you need to do your own research instead of continually putting out misinformation. I have been correcting you on this issue for years.